5.0 out of 5 stars A rare "unputdownable" book
I rarely review and even less share, but... The piece at the end of the book asks for favourable comments for the smaller authors without huge publishing houses behind them.

Published 18 months ago by Phil B

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Extinction Point
I enjoyed all of the Extinction Point books, even though the characters were somewhat cardboard. However, I gave up on 'Toward Yesterday'. The plot idea was good but I couldn't make head or tale of it. It seemed convoluted and contrived and the characters unconvincing.

Pity really, I think that Paul Antony Jones could be an excellent writer.
Published 3 months ago by Jake Corey

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare "unputdownable" book, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Toward Yesterday (Kindle Edition)

I bought the book yesterday suffering from man-flu (now a huge divide amongst the male and female readership) and I finished it today. It's been a very long time since I've been itching to get to the end of such a gripping book. I can vividly remember the Doomwatch and The Survivor TV programmes of the 1970's and this book takes me instantly back to that genre. Without adding spoilers etc I'll leave out any reference to the story and leave that to others.

But if you have a few bob to spare (inexpensive I would say) press the buy now button and settle down into a world that we could realise if our fears came true.

4.0 out of 5 stars From The Aussie Zombie, 28 Jan 2012
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toward Yesterday (Kindle Edition)
Towards Yesterday is a PA book with a twist - time travel.

Imagine your life now, your relationships, your job, your life. Now, imagine you are suddenly thrown back 25 years, retaining all your knowledge and memories, but you're 25 years younger. People that have died in the last 25 years are alive again, people born in the last 25 years no longer exist.

James Bastion is writing his memoirs on New Year's Eve, when he is suddenly thrust 25 years into the past. The world is understandably thrown into chaos....and this is where the science comes into the story. Now, I'll be honest, the science behind these books isn't always my thing, and in Towards Yesterday, I confess I skimmed....but it doesn't detract from the story, and the great characters (the 6 year old scientist is one of my favourites!)

There is a religious element to this book, but it is important to the story, and isn't too `in your face'. There's also a rather spooky serial killer, a revived priest and a good female protagonist.

It is a shame that the book isn't a little longer, and didn't delve more into the way that travelling back in time affected the world, and individual people in it, but this story is more centered on a central group.

Overall I highly recommend this book, it does have the science behind the fiction, and is unique in the Post Apocalyptic genre

5.0 out of 5 stars Different!, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Toward Yesterday (Kindle Edition)
really enjoyed this book, very original, and thought provoking, and entertaining.I liked the characters, and read it really quickly because I couldn't put it down! looking forward to his next book now, great new author.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Extinction Point, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Toward Yesterday (Kindle Edition)

Pity really, I think that Paul Antony Jones could be an excellent writer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in some ways, lacks conviction in others, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: Toward Yesterday (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book after buying my Kindle and fancying a good sci-fi read. As it turns out the author is what he calls 'an indie author' - that is to say without a traditional publisher or book deal. It's a well-imagined take on a sort-of apocalypse with a really intriguing scientific element that I liked a lot. The religious element and the whole 'science vs religion' was a bit cliché, though.

There's also some nicely subtle handling of human emotion, but almost at the same time it can be a bit clumsy. I sense the author has put a lot of his own personality into his work.

From the outset I was pleasantly surprised by the richness of the description and vividness with which the author must visualise what he's writing. That continued right to the end, so it's good news so far for people who like a good adjective or two. It's not a very long book though, so choose something else if you're looking for a lengthy holiday read. I covered it in three sittings of two-to-three hours each.

The one thing that let it down for me was the really poor sub-editing, if it actually had any at all. There are awful grammatical errors strewn throughout it, like using 'brake' instead of 'break' and vice versa, and using apostrophes incorrectly a lot of the time. Mr Jones could use a good sub for his next title but he's got the imagination and the talent for creative description to do well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very exciting, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Toward Yesterday (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book I have read by this author and it was a good read, it moved very quickly, and was hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toward yesterday, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Toward Yesterday (Kindle Edition)
A very good read for a free book. Even if you don't understand all the terminology, it doesn't detract from the story. If your looking for something different this is it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome debut, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Toward Yesterday (Kindle Edition)
An awesome debut from Paul Jones. Towards Yesterday was a nice easy scifi read, with original ideas and a colourful writing style. A real page-turner that I couldn't put down once the action started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toward yesterday by Paul Antony jones, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Toward Yesterday (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book, gripping from start to finish and a believable story. Second book I've read by this author and I can't wait to read more

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Toward Yesterday (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyable and hard to put down. Clever concept, makes you think of how this would affect your own life. ****

Toward Yesterday