4.0 out of 5 stars More Than Ordinary by Doug Sherman, 27 July 2011
This review is from: MORE THAN ORDINARY (Paperback)
In this book Doug Sherman explains that it is actually possible to enjoy life with God! Based on his experience as a teenager in which he handed every area of his life over to God and was surprised to find that Christians actually seemed less happy than other people, he has compiled a biblical argument for how life can truly be enjoyed through our relationship with God. The book is separated into two sections: Encountering God, in which we learn about God's character, and Enjoying God, in which that character is practically applied to our daily lives.

Sherman's a good communicator - I found the book easy to read but not over-simplistic - and he has an ability to explain some pretty enormous truths concisely. The concepts presented here aren't ground-breaking by any means but I found it really useful to be reminded of the importance of the Christian basics like prayer, purity and witness.

Each chapter finishes with a paragraph about how to practically apply the lessons learnt; I imagine this could work well as a devotional in which you think about the chapter during the day or week, or as a tool for a small group discussion.

I'd be happy to recommend this book to any Christian but particularly those who have been Christians for a while - it really takes us back to the foundations of Christianity in a way that isn't patronising.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from NavPress Publishers as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

4.0 out of 5 stars well written and challenging testimony, 19 July 2011
Donald M. Macdonald "donaldmurdo" (isle of lewis, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MORE THAN ORDINARY (Paperback)
With a subtitle of `Enjoying Life With God', I expected `More Than Ordinary' to be an exciting title and I was not disappointed. Written from the standpoint of a man who has a life in business (with frequent trips away from home), a husband and father with conflicting demands on his time alongside writing and speaker commitments, this is an author well placed to write on making life with God a purposeful and fulfilling adventure.
This is a revealing book, telling much about the author's upbringing, encounter with the Saviour and the transformation in his life with God ever present, active, and interested in his daily circumstances. He contrasts this with the lives that others articulate as boring and flavourless, yet responsible and dutiful as God might expect of them. This book urges us to strive for more practical living of Biblical truths and promises, walking with God and with a growing zeal to know Him and make Him known.
The writer notes that life is more than ordinariness and relates an exciting exploration of God's design for us, His expectations for us and our expectations of Him, God's plans and direction for us, our responses to His leadership, His work in the world and His guidance in the Bible for the many issues we face in life. He tells of periods of accelerated progress in living life with God and `seasons of going backwards' to indifference, which many readers might relate to in part.
This is a testimony of being focused and captivated, of the writer's own and others response to the challenges of daily life and sharing of that experience. It is a book that relates back to scripture, quotes some of the great writers and commentators on Bible truths and a book that asks for a personal response.
Even at over 200 pages, it is very readable and while you may not read it all at once, you will find yourself highlighting parts you enjoyed, found useful or want to share with others.
A book I will commend to others as a well written testimony and a challenge to lead a fuller life.

ARRAY(0xaaff9d5c)