5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Furious Dragons
The vivid image on the cover drew me to this novel, and I am happy I have read it.

Published on 4 Jun. 2011 by Dave

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly inconsistent
Published on 28 April 2012 by SpiderHarper

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Furious Dragons, 4 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Blood of Requiem is a well-crafted novel, with strong, flowing prose, well-developed characters and a fast moving plot that keeps the reader engaged. The story follows the struggles of a few survivors of the Vis Requis to evade the evil King Dies Irae, who hunts these dragon people he calls weredragons mercilessly, aided by a host of griffins.

The plot is quite straightforward, with a few minor subplots. It allows for less intrigue than I usually like in my fantasy, but the storytelling and pace made up for it with ease. The worldbuilding is not earth-shattering, but well-developed and interesting enough, and there are some intriguing characters, most notably those of Benedictus, his daughter Agnus Dei and his estranged daughter and enemy Gloriae and young Kyrie.

My main gripe is with the character of Dies Irae, who is just your average, cruel, sadistic and bitter villain. I know that the black-and-white struggle of good against evil is still a strong theme, but I would have preferred to see a bit more grey. Despite this minor complaint, this was a fast and furious read, just like one of the many battles between Kyrie and the griffins.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it and great value, 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I ran out of things to read recently but I had no money left either so I started looking for free books. I came across these when I searched Christopher Paolini and was delighted to find book 1 was free. Some of the reviews were not so good but I decided to try it.

I found it action packed and great fun. I love dragons so this was right up my street. True, some of the topics may be inappropriate for youger readers but come on, weve learnt about it at school. I found I really connected and sympithised with the characters (well the goodies but also gloriae) and I would like to read more. Off to download a free sample of the sequel.

READ THIS BOOK. YOU WONT REGRET IT!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good easy read, 13 Feb. 2013
Mr. S. Hawkes "simon_hawkes" (wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
An interesting twist on the Fantasy story line. Enjoyable read without much need for thought although maybe to simplistic in it's plot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly inconsistent, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I know this is heroic fiction, but it is terribly inconsistent ... so far various of the main characters have had their `life long' foes at their mercy (some several times) ... and then decided, before delivering the killing blow, that they must go off for some soul searching; which is all generally the same things repeated over and over: how much they hate their foe and/or desire revenge on their kind.

The book could have ended at page 14 if the dragon king had either killed the evil human king or taken the necklace which allowed him to enslave the griffins (which are the reason that humans can fight dragons on equal terms), but he decides that as the 'last' 5000 dragons have just been slain, he will leave the battlefield and go nurse his wounds.

The griffins seem at times to be the equal of dragons. There are 1 on 1 fights, where the griffins, with the help or their riders, almost win. Then there the fights where 3 griffins are able to almost overpower 1 dragon. Then there's the 100 on 1 fight where the dragon survives and manages to outpace all the griffins. Are the griffins nearly a match for the dragons or vastly inferior?

Then there's the miraculous Gloriae, who crashes her griffin at high speed, and is thrown into the sea in full armour: only to swim to safety. Humans in metal armour swim like bricks! The next time, she's dropped into a lake, after having her leg impaled by a dragon horn, still in full armour and again swims to safety! Though the third time she's dropped into the sea, she does decide to remove her armour; which begs the question: why remove it this time?

Then there's the dragon fire, which engulfs whole griffins setting them on fire, but apparently does not harm their human riders in the process. When this same dragon fire is aimed at humans on the ground, they hide behind their shield and are totally unscathed.

Then there's the long description of how the Human king, pushes his griffins till they are so tired they are almost falling out of the sky. Then he discovers where the dragons are going & sets off in pursuit after 10 minutes rest. Meanwhile the dragons fly on until they are also exhausted. Then land to eat, rest and sleep. A short while later, the Human King comes upon the sleeping dragons and drugs the one on sentry duty with an arrow. Despite searching all this time his griffin is rested and strong enough to grab the drugged dragon and fly off carrying it; out pacing the chasing dragons (why not drug all 4 and kill them there and then?). All the time the dragons are chasing, the King is unerringly shooting them with a crossbow, at night.

If these people are using magical armour, shields and crossbows, the author should make some mention of it and stop keep bludgeoning us again and again with how much A hates B and how mixed up C is about the situation ....

Then there is the way the griffin riders seem to be able to switch between lance, sword & crossbow (without loosing any of the weapons), while fighting an aerial battle with dragons. Point to note: You cant fire and/or reload a crossbow while wearing a shield, so they must be slipping this on & off their arm too.

I can go on, but I won't. I think this series' plot is far too full of holes for me to continue on to even the end of this book. I have managed to finish reading some fairly awful books, but this one has got the better of me.

My recommendation: If you have a brain, spend your money on something else.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but far better reads out there, 17 Feb. 2015
Mark Parsons - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Lost interest 3/4 way through.Excellent idea but Chase fight, Chase fight, Chase fight formula just got tiresome. Felt the characteristics of the leading character (Dragon King) changed to suit the situationhalf way through the story. unforgivable for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read which impressed me with its skilful use of ..., 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A great read which impressed me with its skilful use of different points of view. I would have liked to know more about the "real" dragons but I suspect this information is in the earlier series. I will check that out... :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragons again at last., 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have been waiting for a good Dragon book for a long time and at last I think I have found one. Having read volume one I will now continue with the second. I hope it continues to keep me as interested.
Radarman

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing fantasy novel, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. As Arenson did in The Gods of Dream he spends a lot of time on the surroundings of his characters. Castles and landscapes are described in such a form that I could see them before me while reading. I have noticed that this is missing in a lot of literature, where an author simply leaves it to the reader to fill the gaps. Thanksfully Arenson does create atmosphere and setting.

I am a huge fantasy fan, but a lot of books that call themselves fantasy are not what I would call fantasy. A fantasy book is so much more than just a story with magic in it or something paranormal. All the vampire books are not fantasy and definitely not literature. 'The Lord of the Rings' is fantasy, because an author has spend time to build a story, create characters and present everyday struggles and morals in a way that we can read and aspire to them. Arenson achieves this at times in 'Blood of Requim', 'Flaming Dove' and 'Gods of Dreams'. In a fantasy world his characters go through betrayal, love, friendship and confusion.
At the centre of the book is Kyrie Eleison, a young Vir Requis, one of the few who have remained after the Great Battle. He wants to find Benedictus, the former king of the Requis, in order to revenge his dead parents and friends on Dies Irae, now king and brother of Benedictus. Kyrie is a great as a character because he is sometimes unstopable in his youthful enthousiasm. Benedictus is a great opposite to this and together they make the perfect master-student couple.

Arenson made the decision to write each chapter from a different character's perspective. Especially in a story like this, where there are two sides fighting each other, it allows the reader to be able to judge by themselves and not blindly follow what the main character thinks. I also really enjoyed the chapters from Gloriae's point of view. Gloriae is Dies Irae's daughter, however Benedictus beliefs she is his daughter. Gloriae knows none of this and has been raised to hate Vir Requis and her story is one of the most interesting ones in the book.

As you may have notices, all the characters have Latin, often religious names. Arenson did the same in 'Flaming Dove'. It shows extra consideration for his characters on the author's side. All the names tell us something about the characters. Benedictus' wife is called Lacrimosa, which means tears in Latin. She does have a lot to cry about, since her life has not exactly been easy. By doing this the characters gain extra depth and it shows the author's commitment.

I have enjoyed all of Arenson's books and I can't wait for the sequel to this one. Although this book can be read alone, I think it is almost impossible not to be wanting to read the sequels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic!, 11 July 2011
Length:: 4:20 Mins

Where to start with this book? Great story-line, superb characterization, and wonderful description. The were-dragons are done tastefully, and the world building is realistic enough for you to suspend your belief at the more whimsical scenes. Can't wait for the next in the series.

5 Skulls Epic!

1.0 out of 5 stars What a load of (dragon) crap!, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Sorry not much to say except taht this was one of the most boring and repetitive books I've read.

Plenty of swooping, dashing, flying, flapping, scratching, biting, burning, screaming etc etc etc but not much else going on. Too many 'in the nick of times' and stupid charcters getting caught having the opportunity to win/escape/overpower but not taking it.

This series of books would probably suit 13 - 16 year olds, if you want real dragons, then read Robin Hobb's books

:P