Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 19 November 2012
This is about my 14 or 15th harlan coben book i have read. Some of them i have loved but as you read through the myron bolitar series, the story gets obscured by unnecessary and boring descriptions of surroundings and how to hit, or not hit someone. Memories of childhood are repeated from other books and that seems so lazy to me and used as a page filler. I love the relationship and the storyline of myron and win but instead of upping the ante with the duo, it seems to me that coben cant be bothered and fills the pages with stuff previously written and fills and pads his books out now with stuff thats neither interesting or necessary. Disppointing and i wont be reading anymore for a long time.
I've just finished this book today and wow! It sure is exciting! I've been reading these books for the past 7 or 8 years and loved each one (and have re-read several on numerous occasions), so when I read a new addition to the series it is like revisiting old friends. Although this touches on some very serious matters with regards to the Bolitar family and it's past (which is all revealed in this one) the sharp, witty dialogue is still there, the action is very fast paced (and thankfully isn't as over the top and unbelievable as Long Lost, which I felt made Myron out to be some kind of superhero) and the story is full of mystery and twists around every corner.

As well as a bit of a Bolitar history lesson we also get to meet Myron's nephew Mickey. I'm not going to give anything away but how many parts of storyline in this book finishes makes me wonder if this is the end for the Myron series, particularly as the next Harlan Coben book is a young adult novel starring Mickey Bolitar called Shelter (due out late 2011). So maybe the baton has been passed over to his nephew for the spotlight from now on? Time will tell.

I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't the best in the series and definitely isn't the worst but it is a thoroughly good read and if this does happen to be the last on in the series then so be it. I will definitely miss Win, Esparenza, El-Al, Big Cyndi and of course Myron but the way this book finishes is great and I would be happy with this ending if that was it. No doubt if Mickey Bolitar is the lead guy in Coben's books from now on then Myron will pop up from time to time and I can't wait to see how it all goes from here.
on 16 April 2011
I have loved the Myron Bolitar series for many years now, and it must be said, it is one of the most criminally underrated series in printed history. If, like me, you've followed the adventures of Myron, Win and Esperanza book to book, then I urge you to pick this one up. I was a little disappointed with Coben's previous effort Long Lost, but Live Wire really brings the series back to form. Even if it's not as great as the early stories it is still definitely well worth the read.

Without giving too much away, Live Wire follows Myron doing what he does best, namely, playing the hero. It does contrast however as we get to see a deeper glimpse into his family, especially his estranged brother and his nephew. The writing is as witty as ever, and it's interesting to see how the ageing Win and Myron deal with the modern world. I was disappointed with how the book ended. If this is going to be the last of the series it would have been nice to not have so many loose ends left loose.

One thing you will notice, which has been apparent with the last few books, is that the characters are getting old. Win and Myron aren't the 30-something-year-olds we first met in Deal Breaker as Coben will repeatedly point out. Once you finish this book you will even question whether there will be another Myron Bolitar novel, at least one where Myron, Win and Esperanza take centre stage. It does seem apparent that Harlan Coben intends to shift the focus of the series to Myron's nephew, Mickey (the first of these books, titled 'Shelter', will be released in 2012).
on 25 April 2013
Felt like a filler book in order to bring about the end of the Myron/Win era and move onto a younger central character. It was fine, but no real surprises and, for me, not anywhere near a proper send-off for two of my favourite characters. He has left the door open, so perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but in any event, this is definitely not a classic.
on 3 March 2014
This is probably the last in the Myron Bolitar series - unless Mr Coben finds himself in need of some extra cash in a few years' time! It is a good read, with all the usual main characters doing what they usually do, and the new ones are interesting and typically larger-than-life.
Some reviewers have been critical of the repetition in Coben's books; it's true that certain salient facts are repeated in almost every one, but it is only repetitive if you read them all - which I and many others have chosen to do because we enjoy them. If you just picked one up not knowing anything about the main characters, the oft repeated background info would be useful. Each book is a stand-alone thriller, but if you read a Myron Bolitar story and enjoy it, try to go back to the beginning and work your way through - there is a list on Amazon which puts them in order - but perhaps don't start with this one as it's the last!
Coben is now writing about Myron's nephew, Mickey, to whom we are introduced in "Live Wire", but judging by most of the reviews, these are aimed at teenagers rather than adults.
on 14 June 2011
I would like to point out that I am a HUGE Coben fan but this book is absolutely dire. Not only was the plot fairly predictable but I found the writing particularly bad. Considering what a hugely successful and popular writer Coben is, you would have thought his editors would have told him that this was far below par.
Some of the gripes I had with this book are a below:
- His writing was very bad and the book was full of cliches plus for some reason he clarified things that were said by the characters as if us, the readers, are idiots and couldn't figure out what the meaning was.
- The characters were pretty flat and for the first time in the entire series I did not care for anybody, not even Myron.
- Some of the main characters in the series was only mentioned superficially, like Esperanza and Big Cyndi.
- Why have we never known about Byron's brother.
- Also the epilogue was really silly, why was it even necessary

To me it was obvious that Coben wrote this book to get rid of some characters and to change the direction his writing used to take. I would not be surprised if there wasn't another Myron Boliter book. Fair enough if he was tired of writing about the same characters but to end it with this was just dire. I feel extremely let down as a fan that this is what he has done. The reason why we like the series is because Myron is the "good" guy who gets it wrong sometimes but always saves the day along with his strange group of friends.
Avoid buying this book and rather borrow if from the library or go and buy it from ebay.
The only reason I gave this book 2 stars was because I am a fan and I have read worse books
on 13 May 2013
Glad I read if for completeness on the Myron & Win saga but far from the best of the series. Think Harlen's got a bit bored with it which is a great shame as some excellent characters to spend time with.
on 10 June 2011
I usually enjoy Harlan Coben's books but this one is simply disappointing.

The plot is weak and the book seems to be just "going through the motions". All the elements are there but it just doesn't add up to a decent story.

I bought this as my first book for my Kindle and to be honest that is the only reason I kept going to the end. Had it been a paperback it would have found its way to the second hand book shop long before I'd finished reading it.
on 10 May 2011
While some reviewers in the U.S. have been upset by the apparent future direction of this series, in my opinion Live Wire -- the 10th book in the Myron Bolitar series -- is Coben's best yet. Why? Simple. In typical Coben fashion, it is a non-stop page turner, filled with many of the characters that have made them long-time fan favorites (including new information about/insights into Myron, his parents and Win), introduces/re-introduces several new, interesting and well-developed characters, and it is loaded with twists and turns and surprises (some of which may anger/upset you, particularly in regards to what the future holds for this series). It is also much more introspective than the other Bolitar books. Some reviewers consider it to be too self-indulgent and have penalized the book in their rating of it. I very much disagree. While it is introspective, it added considerably to my appreciation and understanding of how a more mature Myron has evolved.

The plot of Long Wire is a good one and somewhat more complex than many of the other Bolitar books. When former tennis star Suzze T and her rock star husband receive an anonymous Facebook post challenging the paternity of their unborn child, the husband runs off and Suzze asks Myron to save her marriage. But, when he finds the husband, he also finds someone he wasn't looking for -- his sister-in-law who, along with Myron's brother, abandoned the Bolitar family long ago. As Myron seeks to locate his missing brother while their father clings to life, he must face the lies that led to the estrangement -- including the one told by Myron himself. If you thought you knew Myron Bolitar from the previous books you've read, Coben shows you didn't really know him all that well.

I highly recommend Coben's Live Wire.
on 26 July 2012
I have read all of Harlan Coben's novels and always enjoy them. The books in the Myron Boliter series are witty and action packed, Myron is a loveable, jokey, self depreciating hero and Win is just a psycho!

Live Wire is the latest book in the Myron series, number 10 I think? The story isn't as physically action packed as his previous stories but there are lots of twists and plenty to keep you guessing. There is some insight into the Bolitar family history and Myron's nephew Mickey, who is the hero in a new series of stories, is introduced. I love the chemistry between Myron and Win, the dialogue about Mee and Yu is so funny :-)There seems to be quite a jump from Long Lost (Myron 9.) to this one but maybe that's because it's a while since I read it?

I hope the new Mickey Bolitar series isn't intended to replace the Myron one, it is advertised as a young adult's series and I am no longer young! Please Mr Coben, if you have to bring the Myron & Win stories to an end, don't let them fizzle out behind Mickey's new story lines, give them a well-deserved finale!