4.0 out of 5 stars Myron's most personal hunt yet
Published on 16 May 2011 by Call Me York, That's What Ever...

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost feel cheated
Published on 19 Nov. 2012 by freesia

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost feel cheated, 19 Nov. 2012
freesia (Back of beyond) - See all my reviews
This is about my 14 or 15th harlan coben book i have read. Some of them i have loved but as you read through the myron bolitar series, the story gets obscured by unnecessary and boring descriptions of surroundings and how to hit, or not hit someone. Memories of childhood are repeated from other books and that seems so lazy to me and used as a page filler. I love the relationship and the storyline of myron and win but instead of upping the ante with the duo, it seems to me that coben cant be bothered and fills the pages with stuff previously written and fills and pads his books out now with stuff thats neither interesting or necessary. Disppointing and i wont be reading anymore for a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Myron's most personal hunt yet, 16 May 2011
This review is from: Live Wire (Myron Bolitar Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished this book today and wow! It sure is exciting! I've been reading these books for the past 7 or 8 years and loved each one (and have re-read several on numerous occasions), so when I read a new addition to the series it is like revisiting old friends. Although this touches on some very serious matters with regards to the Bolitar family and it's past (which is all revealed in this one) the sharp, witty dialogue is still there, the action is very fast paced (and thankfully isn't as over the top and unbelievable as Long Lost, which I felt made Myron out to be some kind of superhero) and the story is full of mystery and twists around every corner.

As well as a bit of a Bolitar history lesson we also get to meet Myron's nephew Mickey. I'm not going to give anything away but how many parts of storyline in this book finishes makes me wonder if this is the end for the Myron series, particularly as the next Harlan Coben book is a young adult novel starring Mickey Bolitar called Shelter (due out late 2011). So maybe the baton has been passed over to his nephew for the spotlight from now on? Time will tell.

I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't the best in the series and definitely isn't the worst but it is a thoroughly good read and if this does happen to be the last on in the series then so be it. I will definitely miss Win, Esparenza, El-Al, Big Cyndi and of course Myron but the way this book finishes is great and I would be happy with this ending if that was it. No doubt if Mickey Bolitar is the lead guy in Coben's books from now on then Myron will pop up from time to time and I can't wait to see how it all goes from here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Crossed Wires, 8 Feb. 2012
Jonathan Clark "Great Black Hawk" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live Wire (Hardcover)
Having read all HC's output, other than his recently released first two books, which were given poor reviews this looks like it could the end of the line for me.
This wasn't a bad book but was not one of his best and the story seemed to chronicle the end of Bolitar, Win et al.
HC created a terrific set of characters who integrated well so it will be a shame if this is the last we hear of Myron and his colleagues.
But maybe my assessment of their demise is a mistaken assumption.
The low key Chandler-like one-liners are always good value and in this book HC was on form.
However like it's the economy stupid saying if the story isn't strong enough you're always going to struggle to engage the reader.
This was just not a strong enough story and tried to mesh together too many extraneous threads which ended up in writing cul-de-sacs.
HC also spent a lot of time dwelling on family related challenges which, up to a point, chimed with the narrative but became somewhat self indulgent.
It also seemed to want to sweep up and finalise the Bolitar Series, Ache Brothers and all.
However he did allow Mickey Bolitar to emerge as a potential character who is now the central player in his latest book - Shelter.
To be honest Mickey seemed like a bit of a pain and reviews I've read bear this out.
However and in summary Live Wire us a good read with an interesting story.
The problem is HC has written much better books in this series so anything short if the mark is bound to disappoint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buzzes with Life, 5 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Live Wire (Hardcover)
Another Myron Bolitar epic of twists and turns, it is incredible how Coben keeps this franchise going. That said, the author tells you he stole the core of the plot twist from a trite mid-1980's film and the characters and relationships between the lead and supporting players are so familiar, you feel you already know what's going to happen - almost. Coben is so good at what he does, he hooks you as usual and keeps you turning the pages until you are totally exhausted. He keeps at least three steps ahead of me, and I've read a million of these types of thrillers.

Coben writes so easily, and spins his plots with so little effort, you've got to wonder why he doesn't try to break the mold and try something genuinely new. Not that these 'all you can read' confections aren't great - so much better than the Connelly books I've just consumed - you wish after nearly 20 years of churning them out, he might experiment a little.

In brief, the plot is about how Myron discovers the fate of his long lost brother (who knew?) and his family. Myron represents a retired female tennis star, married to a famous pop star, and when she comes to him for help, the tale takes off at the usual 100 miles an hour. Cans of worms open with blinding speed. The story eventually introduces Mickey, Myron's nephew - a character he takes forward into a teen thriller next time out. Mickey is a young Myron, so don't expect much change there. The entire Bolitar series seems tired to me, and my preference is now for his better stand alone stories like Caught, Tell No One, etc.

But rest assured, Coben is still one of the best thriller genre writers alive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Club Pick, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Live Wire (Myron Bolitar Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
I was definitely dazzled at the way the main plot and subplot merged. Both start to mix paths very early on in the book and I definitely wanted to know how it all came together in the end. The book held my interest except for some parts when the characters seemed too abrupt with thoughts and actions. It's like you know there's more to said but it gets cut short for no reason.

The role of Myron's parents were also underplayed when I feel more could have been done to include them. Other than these nitty gritties, the characters were absolutely strong. Esperanza reminded me so much of Kalinda Sharma in The Good Wife. I also liked Harlan Coben's mention of social media. More than once, it felt like he added an afterthought of his own.

Would I recommend this read? Absolutely. Despite a few bumps in the way the story was told, the plot is fantastic and definitely worth your time.

Overall assessment:
Content: 5/5
Editing: 4.5/5
Formatting: 4.5/5
Pacing: 4/5

Offensive content?: Based on language and settings, I would recommend this book for readers above 15.

Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the author. I did not receive any payment in exchange for this review nor was I obliged to write a positive one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Final Chapter, 3 Mar. 2014
This is probably the last in the Myron Bolitar series - unless Mr Coben finds himself in need of some extra cash in a few years' time! It is a good read, with all the usual main characters doing what they usually do, and the new ones are interesting and typically larger-than-life.
Some reviewers have been critical of the repetition in Coben's books; it's true that certain salient facts are repeated in almost every one, but it is only repetitive if you read them all - which I and many others have chosen to do because we enjoy them. If you just picked one up not knowing anything about the main characters, the oft repeated background info would be useful. Each book is a stand-alone thriller, but if you read a Myron Bolitar story and enjoy it, try to go back to the beginning and work your way through - there is a list on Amazon which puts them in order - but perhaps don't start with this one as it's the last!
Coben is now writing about Myron's nephew, Mickey, to whom we are introduced in "Live Wire", but judging by most of the reviews, these are aimed at teenagers rather than adults.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 26 July 2012
S. Bennett (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I have read all of Harlan Coben's novels and always enjoy them. The books in the Myron Boliter series are witty and action packed, Myron is a loveable, jokey, self depreciating hero and Win is just a psycho!

Live Wire is the latest book in the Myron series, number 10 I think? The story isn't as physically action packed as his previous stories but there are lots of twists and plenty to keep you guessing. There is some insight into the Bolitar family history and Myron's nephew Mickey, who is the hero in a new series of stories, is introduced. I love the chemistry between Myron and Win, the dialogue about Mee and Yu is so funny :-)There seems to be quite a jump from Long Lost (Myron 9.) to this one but maybe that's because it's a while since I read it?

I hope the new Mickey Bolitar series isn't intended to replace the Myron one, it is advertised as a young adult's series and I am no longer young! Please Mr Coben, if you have to bring the Myron & Win stories to an end, don't let them fizzle out behind Mickey's new story lines, give them a well-deserved finale!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too far fetched, 23 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Live Wire (Audio CD)
If you like all the other Myron Bolitar book then this will reach all your expectations. The normal characters are evident including the amazing Esperanza and the slightly disturbing Win. This book also introduces some new characters none more strange than a long lost brother called Brad.

Although this book has the action and the pace of the others which I have loved I just couldn't get round the sudden appearance of a brother for Myron. Having read and loved all the other Bolitar stories there has previously been no mention of a brother. This addition to the story is just too fantastic for you to fully enjoy this story. The author attempts to describe where this brother comes from but it is just not totally believable.

A cynic would say that the brother needed to be introduced so that a nephew could be introduced. I believe there is a whole series of books that have been developed around the nephew. Overall this is a good story which has aspects that are not true and were clearly introduced for the authors own gain.

2.0 out of 5 stars live wire, 21 Nov. 2011
Ali (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live Wire (Hardcover)
I have to say, this was not one of Coben's best. When reading, I got the impression he didn't really want to be writing another Myron Bolitar instalment, which is a bit of a shame as Coben is an excellent storyteller the vast majority of the time. It wasn't unreadable, I finished it quickly enough, but it also didn't compare to the earlier novels in the series or some of his stand alone thrillers. I can't even pinpoint what I didn't like about it. The characters in this series are among my favourites, particularly Win, the writing was fine, it had humour (although some of Win's Yu and Mee jokes did drag on - you'll understand if you have read the last couple of books in this series) and the plot was okay, if a tad predictable. Maybe that was the problem, it was merely okay. And I don't feel that okay is good enough for what is potentially the end for what is usually a great series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but possibly the end., 16 April 2011
I have loved the Myron Bolitar series for many years now, and it must be said, it is one of the most criminally underrated series in printed history. If, like me, you've followed the adventures of Myron, Win and Esperanza book to book, then I urge you to pick this one up. I was a little disappointed with Coben's previous effort Long Lost, but Live Wire really brings the series back to form. Even if it's not as great as the early stories it is still definitely well worth the read.

Without giving too much away, Live Wire follows Myron doing what he does best, namely, playing the hero. It does contrast however as we get to see a deeper glimpse into his family, especially his estranged brother and his nephew. The writing is as witty as ever, and it's interesting to see how the ageing Win and Myron deal with the modern world. I was disappointed with how the book ended. If this is going to be the last of the series it would have been nice to not have so many loose ends left loose.

One thing you will notice, which has been apparent with the last few books, is that the characters are getting old. Win and Myron aren't the 30-something-year-olds we first met in Deal Breaker as Coben will repeatedly point out. Once you finish this book you will even question whether there will be another Myron Bolitar novel, at least one where Myron, Win and Esperanza take centre stage. It does seem apparent that Harlan Coben intends to shift the focus of the series to Myron's nephew, Mickey (the first of these books, titled 'Shelter', will be released in 2012).

Live Wire (Myron Bolitar Book 10)