Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 July 2015
This has been my favourite in the series so far. I enjoyed Old Man's War but found the writing style a little stilted in places and the universe it was set in not wholly convincing. In The Last Colony the characters are fleshed out and real rather than just devices to move plot forward. Scalzi explores in more detail the political and moral ramifications of Earth's relationship with both the Colonial Union and the rest of the universe and that makes this book more satisfying than a simple space/alien action adventure. I hope there will be many more novels set in this universe to come as the series just gets better and better.
on 10 December 2013
I didn't realise it was a sequel when I started it but it didn't ruin the read for me. Other commentators may have had different expectations to me therefore and this might explain some of the negative comments about it.
The writing style reminded me in many ways of Asimov with weird aliens thrown in. The story line progressed at a reasonable pace and most of the characters did whet they were supposed to do, which was comforting.
This may not be a stunning story, but it is a good one.
on 1 June 2013
There have been few SciFi writers down the years who could write with wit and humour as well as tell a good tale... and this is the best I've come across since the Stainless Steel Rat more than half a century ago! I don't know why John Scalzi wasn't on my radar before, and since reading this I've downloaded two more of his books to my Kindle and read them both in a couple of sittings. Politics, humour and completely believable worlds flow from his computer keys!
on 7 January 2011
This book is fantastic, it introduces new ideas and a whole new universe a dynamic and entertaining way. You never get the feeling that things are too mad though. I read the first two in this series and having just plodded my way through Legion 6 (William C Dietz) in three weeks, I flew through The Last Colony in four days! The series hasn't lost any of the sparkle of the first book and I would highly recommend them. Zoe's Tale and Sagan's Diaries here I come!
on 7 June 2013
This is a great book and not just a simple follow on but takes Perry and Sagan into a more political role as they are manipulated by the Colonial Union. The personal development of the characters and development of the story leads to a great conclusion one that leaves the Colonial Union reeling. It is not as zap zap pow pow as the others in this series but this is why the series is so good because each of the books is so different
on 27 July 2014
Not to be read as a stand alone book but interesting sci fi with lots of twists and turns along the way. The characters are developed in this last episode but cannot escape from what is an ongoing war story which will not be to everyones taste . I enjoyed the book for what it was with its contacts with intelligent alien races and background governmental human conspiracies.
on 26 February 2011
John Scalzi is a very fine writter and having read several hunderd novels over 30 years I can say he's one of the few that I'll check on when they publish something new. Like all great story tellers he pulls you in and you forget your reading a story.

That is typically what separates fine writers from the more but sometimes excellent output of more workman like writers.
on 8 January 2010
The Last Colony and the fourth book in the series Zoe's Tale cover the same time period from two different points of view. Accidentally reading Zoe's Tale before the Last Colony didn't actually detract from the story at all!

While they don't have the pop pop pop! of the first two books, Old Mans War and The Ghost Brigades, they are still a thoroughly enjoyable read.
on 30 November 2014
I thought that this neatly rounded off the family of "Old Mans War" books.. Different from the previous books in that the was more politics and less gung-ho. The dialogue is sharp and humourous and personally want to find out more about Scalazi's universe. Have purchased "Zoe's Tale" and note that "The Human Division" are also in this universe, looking forward to them.
on 1 May 2016
Working my way through the series as I really like Si-fi human/alien war stories and this has been the best for a long time since 'the forever wars' by Joe Haldeman, but unlike his series were sequels like 'forever peace' were a let down, the Old mans war series have sequels that are as good and gripping as the first book (so far, as I have not read the rest yet).