5.0 out of 5 stars Essential instructions to get Access 2007 working
Published on 23 Dec 2009 by J. Cotter

2.0 out of 5 stars Let down by bugs example code
Like a lot of ma-access users, the value of these types of books in heavily weighted towards the reusable code examples. I found many of the example databases, which cover chapter by chapter, simple did not run. I did not buy this book to be debugging the code in example databases.
Published 17 months ago by B. Welch

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential instructions to get Access 2007 working, 23 Dec 2009
J. Cotter (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a massive piece of work that I now could not do without for my task of developing a MS Access database professionally. I thought I knew Access operationally until I encountered the 2007 version. Bolter holds your hand through (nearly) all the twists and turns in the new Access. She still does not make it easy but I don't blame her for that. I don't know how anyone could use Access 2007 without such a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Excellent, 30 Mar 2011
M. Short (London) - See all my reviews
On the whole a very good book and does what it says on the tin - i.e. beginner to intermediate level.

However...I am a devotee of John Walkenbach (Excel, Excel VBA Programming) and I feel that some of Alison's explanations are not as good as Walkenbach's. She tells you how to do things with lots of examples (good!) but doesn't explain why. An example of this would be Class modules - it's complicated and her explanation isn't in the same league as Walkenbach. I would suggest that a reader who seriously wants to get into VBA development starts with Mr W. and then moves on to Balter for the Access specific stuff.

Access specific - this is why I bought this book! It is a treasure trove; particularly on ADO programming. It goes into a level of detail that I couldn't find in Walkenbach or the Access Bible and virtually impossible to find in any Microsoft website or user forum.

Lastly, for anyone who notices that she refers to a CD but there isn't one supplied. That's correct SAMS does tell the attentive reader at the end of the contents section the website address in order to download the CD contents.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Practical Experience, 26 July 2010
This is a most successful text-book: I know because I had to build a fairly complex data base at very short notice and with only the most rudimentary grasp of a very old version of Access...6 or 7 years old, I think.

To cut a long story short, I chose Alison Balter's book, and started at the beginning. With her guidance I managed to build a serviceable database and, with all due modesty, quite quickly.

With that first urgent task out of the way, I have been able to tackle Alison's book again and, this time, quite slowly. With clear explanations, backed by ample examples, the complete beginner is led carefully to a thoroughly workmanlike level of Access 2007 development.

2.0 out of 5 stars Let down by bugs example code, 8 April 2013
B. Welch (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Access 2007 Elementary to advanced, 27 Mar 2009
B. Marshall (Woking, England) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book which teaches you the basics to the more advanced VBA requirements. It did mention a CD Rom but mine was missing.
It is well written and very clear. I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 29 Jan 2013
Mr. Campbell D. Morrison "minoandad" (Belfast, Northern Irelanc) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alison Balter's Mastering Microsoft Office Access 2007 Development (Kindle Edition)
It is an absolute absurdity that in order to rate something you have to write an essay - I have better things to do with my time!