4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this read
Published on 11 Mar 2012 by patsy

1.0 out of 5 stars Zzzzzzzzzz!!!!
Have I read the same book as everyone else? I
tried to read this book twice before and put it to
one side, I wish I had just deleted it.

A mind numbingly boring plot which was spoilt by
the author's views on life, love and the universe.
I am a grown adult and did not appreciate being
preached to every few pages. If I wanted a...
Published 23 months ago by Avid Reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Zzzzzzzzzz!!!!, 20 Jan 2013
Have I read the same book as everyone else? I
tried to read this book twice before and put it to
one side, I wish I had just deleted it.

A mind numbingly boring plot which was spoilt by
the author's views on life, love and the universe.
I am a grown adult and did not appreciate being
preached to every few pages. If I wanted a "self
help" book I would have downloaded one.

I begrudge giving this drivel one star, and really
resent the 77p I spent on it, don't waste your money
folks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this read, 11 Mar 2012
This review is from: One Cold Night (Kindle Edition)
When I realised that life stories needed telling within the same night as the search, I didnt think I'd stay interested. But I was wrong. Bite size pieces kept the pace for me. I was intrigued throughout but if I'm honest, the circumstances of the connection between the mystery man (men) bit far fetched. I enjoyed the writing immensely and the insight into life, love, romance and pathos at the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read if you like american crime fiction, 1 Feb 2012
This review is from: One Cold Night (Kindle Edition)
First of all I have to say that I nearly gave this 4 stars but for me it didn't quite stretch to that. In all fairness though, the fact that I enjoyed it but did not love it might just be due to me preferring Scandinavian crime novels.

Still the good price tempted me to pick this up and I cannot say that I was disappointed, I did finish it in one day so it is definitely a gripping read. However I found some of the characters (Lupe and Bruno especially) a bit annoying at first, although I think that was probably the writer's intention. Not sure why though. It did get better as the book went on.

The reason I have decided to only give this three stars instead of four was mostly that it was just a bit to typically American for my taste, which was especially apparent in the far too long and completely unnecessary, epilogue. Pages and pages just to confirm that everybody was happy now and had forgiven everybody else and they lived happily ever after etc....

Still it is a good read and well-written so if you generally enjoy American crime fiction I think you might well love this!

1.0 out of 5 stars One cold night, 21 Jun 2013
crafty clare (west yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Cold Night (Kindle Edition)
It was a book I had to finish but didn't really like. It was too long and drawn out especially the epilogue at the end. Why did she find it necessary to write the epilogue for the three main characters . It spoilt the end for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite hit the mark, 4 Mar 2012
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: One Cold Night (Kindle Edition)
I haven't read any Katia Lief books before but the preview pages on this looked good.

I found it fairly well paced (except for a couple of places). The time constraint of the story, which is set over 24 hours, lends itself to sharp prose and by and large that worked OK. The plot is relatively simple, but there were some surprises, twists and turns. The dialogue was also OK, but just a little irritating sometimes and didn't always add to the storyline. Character development was fairly superficial. I felt there were opportunities to flesh out individuals and it would have added to the reading experience and plot.

It's an easy read; I finished the book in a little over a day of reading on and off. And at the end, I was left feeling that I neither fully enjoyed the book, nor intensely disliked it. I can't put my finger on the reason for this ambivalence; it's very much a what you see is what you get book. Certainly not bad enough to put me off the author and I will try another one by her. We shouldn't judge the value of a book based on the cost, but I don't regret spending a few pence to try out someone new. I'm not usually one to sit on the fence, but this is an average read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of good reading time, 13 Mar 2013
Mr. M. Reynolds "christomargo" (Wirral,U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Cold Night (Kindle Edition)
The plot could have been good but the writing was very shallow. Formulaic and immature compared to authors such as Robert Ellis, Micheal Connolly or Jilliane Hoffman.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 15 Oct 2013
Thomas A. Jervis (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Cold Night (Kindle Edition)
Must agree with all the other one and two star reviewers. I found the flow of the story hindered by all the pages of deep emotions laid out by the characters throughout the story. I could have done without most of that which would have improved the pace of the story. I couldn't understand where other people are saying it was a tense thriller, there was only one suspect from the start, and the tie-in with the other man was too far fetched to be real!

2.0 out of 5 stars CSI: New York..., 1 Mar 2012
This review is from: One Cold Night (Kindle Edition)
As another reviewer pointed out, if you like American crime fiction, you will most likely find this a fluid read. It was like watching an episode of CSI. I thought it was fairly average, I really wanted to give it three stars but towards the end of the book I decided to cut it short to two, mainly as it dragged on somewhat towards the end, and was rather anti-climatic. In any case, what did I expect, this was after all a book about a single 24 hour period based on a fairly linear predictable plot full of clichés, which in my opinion contributed to its downfall . A short story in this instance, given the fairly basic storyline, may have been more suited.

I am rarely critical of literature in the top 20 kindle lists, because the general kindle population does seem to have good taste however I just have to be totally candid with this review and say that at face value had it not been for the bargain price of 49p I would have been left with the feeling I had just bought a completely blank t-shirt for the price of a nicely designed equivalent if that makes sense!

As usual I won't waste anyone's time by giving a synopsis as it is readily available above. I will conclude by saying for 49 pence it's worth a bash if you have time to spare and like me are waiting for your next pay cheque before splashing out on some other novels although even that doesn't necessarily mean it would be money well spent. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes next for me.

Thank you for reading my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scarily amazing, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: One Cold Night (Kindle Edition)
This book is a really good read if you are into thrillers. It is a really mysterious book and a real page-Turner, I couldn't put it down. It is about a girl called Lisa who has a look a like who gets killed when someone mistakes her for Lisa. Then Lisa get kidnapped off the streets after a row with her elder sister and a serious investigation begins. Please purchase this book and find out what happens, although I wouldn't recommend this book for people under the age of 10 due to the content.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful! Author seems to have overdosed on Scrabble!, 10 Jun 2012
This review is from: One Cold Night (Kindle Edition)
Well, the good news is that the book is available cheaply on Amazon Kindle, plus the plot is potentially promising!
The content however, is dire; it is far too over wordy and too many adjectives, which only slow down the plot. It also, suffers from a naive romanticism which jars with the usual style of police procedural novels. The plot then is repeated over and over ad nauseam (we get it, O.K.!). Do we really need an 'Epilogue' to go over the plot and analyse each characters supposed thoughts? The book would be better with a good edit.
If you are desperate for a cheap read combining crime and 'love interest/Psychobabble' then this is for you otherwise try elsewhere for a more demanding and satisfying crime thriller.

One Cold Night