4.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad

1.0 out of 5 stars ... A trip down memory lane,
Published on 21 Sep 2011 by Agma

1.0 out of 5 stars ... A trip down memory lane,, 21 Sep 2011
This review is from: Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
It's only been 2 years since we were last introduced to the moderately well received American soldier back in 2009. Now fast forward two years into 2011 the band are back once more to present their latest new release "Dedicated to Chaos." and so with the band returning back upon a nice and solid bedrock of a decent enough predecessor and after the recent signing of the band to Roadrunner records things up until now have been ticking over quite nicely for the group; and although we haven't been exactly wowed with any such stratospheric moments or material as such; like from the Operation mindcrime era when the band were on their bestest form, several albums since including albums like- Promised land, Tribe, and more recently records like American soldier have been fairly satisfying opuses. In between some of that, several average to poorer efforts surfacing have been a continued trend for the band in the more recent half of their career.

Unfortunately, Dedicated to Chaos hasn't been able to build on recent encouraging material and instead focuses-in on different aspects of musicality such as rhythm, injections of alternative arrangements and more heavier rock fueled riffs. Fair enough, but for some reason the band this time just haven't been able to compile those fluid, soul filling and charismatic aspects to give us a tight and decent offering. Instead, horrible disjointed- melodies contrast pretty tap-water like' approaches from Tate which don't really in any way compliment any of these basic sounding rockers. Significant album space is also given to other musical genres such as soul, pop and rap of which are in no short supply throughout, but it's the terrible poppy numbers and ridiculous lyrics which do the most to bring it all down; these make most of an appearance within the awfully titled "Got it bad." Elsewhere, there is little much else than the very weakly composed, shallow & typically bland non-entities such as the gob-smackingly average "Get started" and the absolute abomination of "Hot-spot junkie" which should never have never made it off the drawing board.

Tate's vocals are traditional sounding ambience but they feel remarkably out of touch and out of tune with most of these awkward and clicky tracks. "I take you" is another plodder which contributes nothing to the album along with "Wot we do" a horror fest of slightly dancey rock music for radio, overlayed with some stupid and outrageous background melodies which quickly becomes the ultimate smack-in-the-face. "If you got a wild fantasy, we are here just for you." Tate sings;.... unforgivable and despicable. Later on, along comes the song "Drive" which aims high for the rock elite heavens but ultimately fails shamlessly in this ambitious quest and quickly descends into a flatish and stupendous fest. "Broken" does admittedly start off very promising at first but the end result is the predictable oncoming destruction in bad, clunky- irate and unexpected axework. Cutting the album a little abit of slack is the song "Hard times" which probably is a fairly decent enough Queensryche ballad on a standalone merit and could well be the only song on the whole album I can tolerate, despite the badness towards the end, a most welcome closure of this hell-ride in the total sham of "Big noize!" and that equation is not even to their standards.

The legacy of long absent Queensryite man Chris Degarmo has become alarmingly apparent on this latest record. Despite some reasonably good Queensryche artwork I would have expected much much better. So as an objective rock & metal fan I'm quite familiar with this band and the classic rock/metal sound that is associated with the group, so I had a rough idea of what I hoped to hear, but got nothing close?!.... and so as I am usually very supportive of small to large leaps in direction or experimentation in band progression, but ultimately it should boil down to the quality of the music, but in this album in particular, I just haven't been able to justify any of that because all I have managed to uncover beneath it all is a brash, simplistic and soulless rock album. The experimentation going on here has been a modest one for the band as to which should rate as a nice enough touch on a basic level, but it goes without saying that such a high proportion of these new sonic additions are just simply incompatible, and do not work together within what is essentially a collection of mostly sub-standard musical side-orders anyway.

Conclusion: I found the experience listening to Dedicated to Chaos to be a horrible one and a overwhelmingly lustre-lacking shambles. The meltdown that's going on here surely has to rate as such the ultimate disappointment to ryche fellowship. Though I personally had failed to be moved by a single song of this album to which hasn't been the case with any previous ryche record I can recall previously, the shortcomings have been really astounding (to be honest) and have taken me completely off guard. For me at least, the bottom line is that Dedicated to chaos is very poor and unsavory sounding new album, for which I am for the time being willing to accept and trying in some form to like or at least understand;- failing that, if the band do return back next time round with another formidable exploration into this dodgy haphazardly done formula of compensatory rock; as opposed to a more considered and refreshing 'ryche, then i'm sorry to say i'm out!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad, 14 Aug 2011
N. UNWIN - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
The poor souls with their endless wait for a new Mindcrime should steer clear of this one. I suppose Queensryche have never been consistently a metal band anyway, allowing their progressiveness take them in different directions. And they've certainly done it here. It was going to be 3 or 4 stars and I eventually went for 4 just because this is the first time in years that Queensryche have been so daring with such a musical stretch.

Go into this with an open mind and you will not be disappointed. I was worried by all the "I've been a QR fan since Warning" fanboys slagging it off. Having been a fan since Rage I've pretty much always expected the unexpected from them. There were some who couldn't get their head round Rage when it came out. So I was glad when I actually heard this album and that it was nowhere near as bad as some had made out.

Again, this is not metal, more alternative progressive rock, or something. They could actually appeal to a new audience with this one. The opening track "Get Started" is a rocker and about the only track with a strong enough melody you could actually sing along to. After that there are no real 4/4 rock standards and it becomes a more involved musical ride, with more textures and layers in the production than I've heard on a QR album since Promised or even Rage. I'm pleased about that, because I was worried with Kelly Gray at the helm we might end up with a fuzzy Q2K kind of sound, which this isn't. There's a lot going on here. The bass is quite prominent on all tracks and Scott and especially Eddie really get to shine with some interesting bass lines. Most tracks are different in their own way, though some start to sound alike as the album goes on and a couple sound like they might have fallen out of the Tribe sessions. Wilton takes more of a back seat here, with only a couple of tracks requiring a guitar solo, and it is only on those that I hear anything of QRs traditional sound. Also there are no epic length tracks on here, most about four or so minutes on average.

Unfortunately there are two big letdowns for me. Firstly the lyrics could be more inspiring. With a title like Dedicated To Chaos I was expecting a lot more rousing political commentary from Tate, and although songs like "Retail Therapy" reflect today's world, there are too many sex related themes on here. On the other hand, "Wot We Do" which sounds like an SM club's anthem could have really gone to town with a horn section instead of its cheap synths to hit the mark, and as it stands falls short.

The other letdown is, I am sorry to say, Geoff's limited ability when it comes to writing strong melodies. His voice is unique, yes, but his vocal range is not what it was and those Tate-isms, although adding to the overall multi-layered musical experience, are not enough to carry an entire album and by the end takes off some of the shine. I find it strange to think I'm actually saying that Tate is biggest disappointment here, but if we had just a few memorable vocal lines this could have been a five star album. As it is I give it four marks for the effort and the daring step in the musical department, but three for the execution and limited tunefulness in the vocal department.

For open minded listeners only.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally Back On Form, 10 July 2011
This review is from: Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
I was wary of listening to this due to the vast amount of negative reviews regarding this album.Geoff Tate has called it a headphone album ,so for my first listen I used my phones and I can see why .There is a lot going on ,parts remind me of Rage For Order ( the best QR album in my opinion)but with a modern twist.This is the best release Queensryche have done in years finally breaking away from trying to recreate the past and doing what a progressive metal band should do and progress.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dedicated to ... KO, 18 Nov 2011
This review is from: Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
I listen to Queensryche since "The Warning". It is hard to realise Queensr˙che, the band which has released "Rage for Order", "Operation Mindcrime", "Empire", has fallen so down... What is this thing? Even if you have got the nostalgy of early U2, Simple Minds, Depeche Mode and if you are irritated by guitar distortion you could not be satisfied by such a poor album. It could have been a Geoff Tate's solo project (there is barely a couple of guitar soli but some saxophone soli played by GT) but in no way it deserves to be released under the name of Queensr˙che.
It is just boring. There is nothing interesting to listen to in that album.
A good demonstration of "we have great playing skills but we are clever enough not to show it"!
What a huge disappointment this crap is for a true fan!
The band's agony began when Chris DeGarmo flew away (he is an airline pilot). I am afraid Queensr˙che is dead by now.
Sad but true.

2.0 out of 5 stars Despite the new sound, this is actually pretty.... BORING, to be honest, 11 July 2011
This review is from: Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
You see two types of reviews of this album in general: mostly you get "well this isn't metal, I dont like this! me want more guitars! noww" OR "This is awesome, this album is sooo different and evolved - it's their best album since...": To me, neither of these describe the album, or my opinion of it anyhow: I love queensryche, really do: all of their sounds: from the metal of their first few to the hard rock progginess that followed, everything from rage right up to tribe, pretty much: the albums were of generally varying quality, but most all had good quality stuff regardless of whether they were heavy or not: sure there was a decline over time, but there was always highlights, right up to mindcrime II, I'd say. However, American soldier was utterly banal: a stunningly average prog rock album with little passion or anything in the way of memorable melodies: it did not even have a decent atmosphere to make up for the songwriting: it was effectively everything people had been previously crityicising the band for: boring, soft songs, and this time round I agreed, or maybe it was just more noticeable to these ears because of how artistically stagnant the whole thing was, so when the time came and I heard clips from this, I thought "OH, nice, cool style, the fanboys will go a bit mental, but sounds different, and that has to be a good thing". Then I heard it. So, what can you say about it? not much, to be honest: despite the rather drastic change in style between albums, the quality is still not there.

There are a lot of songs on here, and not many to recomend at all: I suppose Hot spot junkie was a vague highlight for me, but , to be honest, most of the songs range from sheer average to sheer rubbish: not always a lot to hate, but basically nothing to admire: I personally enjoyed it slightly more than soldier because of the admitedly brave sound, but found myself rapidly relegating it to the same status and score because of, once again, just how painfully BORING the songs are: despite the fact that the band changed their style (changed it, didnt evolve it), they seemed to forget to come up with any decent material to go alongside: I don't require obvious, typically strong melodies, but the stuff on here, the songwriting, is just very lacking, with the playing all quite dull as well, to be honest.

To round it off, this isn't the worst thing you will ever here: its not st anger level suicide-inducing noise, but it is stunningly average, just as much if not even more so than the artistically stagnant American Soldier, but is perhaps more depressing because the bands songwriting remains stagnant and tired despite venturing into new sounds and territories: so, not hating it because of the change in style, but not loving it for that reason either: just didn't think much of the songwriting or performances, to be honest: didn't much enjoyment out of it. Ain't saying dont give it a shot, mind; listen and make your own mind up, but the above is the impression I got from it, from a couple of listens.

05/10

4.0 out of 5 stars A different sounding QR album, 30 Jun 2011
This review is from: Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
I think everyone agrees that D2C sounds different to Queensryche albums of the past, but is it any good? Well that depends on what you are looking for. If you want the classic guitar riff driven Queensryche this is not for you. However if you are prepared to allow the band to try something new and different you may be pleasantly surprised. For me its their best work since the excellent Q2K. If you didn't like Q2K you will hate this even more. But if you have enjoyed the band exploring different directions through their career, and you are open minded you might find something to enjoy here.

3.0 out of 5 stars where is wilton, 30 Jun 2011
This review is from: Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
queensryche produce another ok album. after the solid but unspectacular american soldier this pretty much follows that path with 2 or 3 great tracks on the cd and others that will pass you by never to be played again. the glory days of empire and operation mindcrime seem to never be coming back and what has happened to michael wiltons songwriting the glory days had plenty of wilton contributions now nothing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Queensryche-Dedicated to chaos, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
Yes another QR CD! This band has changed it's direction so many times, and its not different this time.
Overall this album is lighter than previous American Soldier. Maybe too many softer songs in it. There is couple of heavier tracks too.
American Soldier needed many listening times and this one too. These are complicated albums and you mustn't give up listening. Tate's voice is excellent as usual.
Thank you guys that you still have energy to make good music!

5.0 out of 5 stars QR, Just Getting Started?, 6 July 2011
This review is from: Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
Well, the first song on the album takes me straight back to my old school rock days. Reminds me very much of Guns n Roses but slightly softer. Nowadays I'm into more metal than rock but this album got my attention. I am a Judas Priest fan and his voice sounds alot like Rob Halfords. Good start.

Hot Spot Junkie was a a solid song as well. The crushing riff. Very Velvet Revolver but still Queensryche. Another decent song in the bank. This may not be the first Queensryche album but so far I feel ... touched by them. Ok, excuse the bad wording but people will know what I mean.

Now, I was lucky enough to hear these two tracks. I just got my copy of the album and it is VERY GOOD! It may not be recieving the same attention as a Slipknot album or Metallica album but it has its new, fresh taste. Its quite mellow as well and not too heavy so its easy on the ears. A MUST BUY!!!! A good album from a good band, simple as.

2.0 out of 5 stars worst album in their whole career, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
Ouch! I am a fan from the first days, have all their stuff including rare items, but this really hurts. I have gotten used to all their albums: some were pantheonic, some great over time as they grew on you, others were just passable, but this is just ... c**p. It is dreadful to hear it through, and it took me a lot of dedication and patience not to toss the thing althogether. In the end, only a handful of acceptable songs at best ..., while I don't know who composed - let alone is performing - the other songs. It can't be QR for sure, some guy must be impersonating Geoff. There can't be any other explanation. I never thought I would write this, ever, but this album is surely never going to be taken off my cd shelf again after 5 spins. Dreadful. Let's wait for the next one, it can ONLY be better.

Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition)
Dedicated To Chaos (Special Edition) by Queensr˙che (Audio CD - 2011)