4.0 out of 5 stars Back to Mac
Published on 4 Dec 2011 by Don Roberto

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice product if it works
After 18 months of light use machine is dead, amazon claim as I have used it with no issues for this period then it must have been ok not their fault so I can have 275 as compensation. Bearing in mind they do not know why it is not working I find this sort of offer very worrying as if the machine was faulty at time of purchase it is their responsibility to fix or replace...
Published 10 months ago by alstar w

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to Mac, 4 Dec 2011
This review is from: Apple iMac 27 inch All-In-One Desktop PC (Intel Core i5 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor, 2X2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB graphics) (Launched May 2011) (Personal Computers)
I took delivery of my shiny new iMac last week and am very pleased to be back in the macintosh family, after a few years in the 'wilderness'. At first I thought I had overdone it by buying the big 27" screen, but after a couple of days I realised if I'd bought a smaller one, I would only have lusted after it's big brother. The speed at start up and overall performance are typical mac. Fast and smooth. The quality of build, design and performance can only be described as superb. I only have one glitch which is a little annoying. The wireless mouse tends to be a bit 'over sensitive' shall we say. It enlarges the page without asking and the only way I've managed to get it back to normal is to re-load the page and start again. This keeps the rating at 4*. Has anyone else had this problem? Using Skype is a dream. The picture and sound quality are excellent which is important to us out here in the Spanish countryside. I did have to work out how to use the built in camera on Skype, but in the end I fixed it in Skype preferences. If anyone else has the same problem, select 'Start video automatically at the beginning of a call' in the 'Calls' sub-menu, and Bob's your uncle, up it comes! So for now, it's so far, so good. This is my 4th iMac and the biggest and best of them all. I shall be studying the manual to make sure I get the best out of it. PS Thanks Amazon for a good deal and prompt delivery out here in the Spanish sticks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, wow wow, 10 Jun 2011
Mr. A. White - See all my reviews
I've been a windows user since Windows 3.0 back in the early 90s and have been looking at a Mac for about a year. I've waited until the 2011 refresh to get this stunning 27" model.

Wow - it's just so much better than Windows.. Even for the same spec Windows machine - Mac OSX is just the best.

Expensive yes.. but Macs do contain a certain amount of value in them if you need to sell them.

I did think the 27" screen would be too big and thought for ages about getting the 21.5" model, but I'm glad I chose the bigger screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Piece of Technology, 21 May 2011
S. Rostron "Sylar" (UK) - See all my reviews
Just received the new iMac this morning and already im in love , seriously i want this thing to have my babies !. Having used a PC most of my life its kind of a big step to change OS. I was running Vista on a 22 inch TFT along with a couple of Adobe products Dreamweaver , Photoshop etc which are essential as I use these everyday so I wanted to run these PC applications from Mac OS as the software is expensive so with Parallels you can run multiple virtual OS through your MAC and you cannot tell the difference also you can run the OS in Coherence mode which integrates both Windows and MAC into the same desktop , the Vista installation took about 10 minutes and all that was needed was the CD Key and thats it. So if you need access to MS applications don't worry its all possible.

Back to this iMac 27" demon , the first thing you will notice is the size of the screen and the LED quality and smooth finish , seriously the engineering and product quality is at its finest and compare it to my old dusty ATX case its un-comparable and to think I have been using a PC for all these years is crazy. The whole iMac has one wire , yes just one wire and thats the power ATX cable the keyboard is small , compact and the new Apple smart mouse is also wireless and very smooth , they come with rechargeable batteries so you might need to buy the apple battery charger but the OS will tell you when they are getting low.

I have just installed VLC , Google Chrome Browser and Audion which all took a couple of minutes to do and to think it not possible to get a virus or trojan is definitely the future. a few things you might want to know if your a PC user is that you can plug in any NTFS or FAT32 USB Device and it will automatically appear on the MAC Desktop , I think on some of the older iMac you needed additional software but on this iMAC everything is compatible , secure and very fast.

The built in speakers are amazing quality , which is something you would expect with Apple products , I was going to purchase some additional speakers but you really don't need them with this iMAC.

You may be tempted to save a and get the 21" iMAC but i would recommend getting the 27" the thing is huge but already after a few hours im getting use the size of the monitor as while im typing this review out I have about 3-4 windows open and visible something which wasn't really possible on a 22" monitor. I have been trying to think of any negative points but seriously after taking this thing out of the box everything is what I expected and much more.

If your thinking of upgrading , then buy a iMAC. Before I purchased this I thought it was cheaper to build a new custom PC with same size screen with the same processor , graphics card , monitor etc and I could of saved 200-300 or maybe more but with the build quality , specification and usability of Snow leopard OS , the Gorgeous LED Backlit 27" screen , compatibility and much more I have to say I doubt I would ever go back to a PC or Microsoft OS.

4.0 out of 5 stars IMac 27 inch, 17 April 2012
Excellent service from Amazon. Initial disappointment as I had to contact Apple Help Line as I kept losing Internet connection even though my old Pc was still connected at full strength. Apple had to do a complete reinstall of thir operating system which took several hours, however saying that it resolved the issue. Unbelievable start up speed compared to my old PC and now I have begun to learn my way around a Mac I can see what everyone has been raving about for years.
Only disappointment was iMovie could not read all my AVCHD videos and I have spent hours converting them to a readable format. I should have looked into this prior to purchase! Overall an excellent buy and thank you Amazon for a prompt delivery.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful piece of technology, with a few disadvantages, 23 Sep 2011
The iMac is a design classic, leagues ahead of any Windows PC in the looks department. The aluminium unibody, with a huge glossy monitor built in, looks simply stunning whether it's powered on or off. The 2011 models all come with quad core Intel Sandy Bridge processors, and feature the new Thunderbolt I/O ports for ultra-fast peripheral connections - which will be great when devices with this port finally start shipping in numbers. The new Mac operating system, Lion, is pretty slick with a useful App Store and few of the security headaches common to Windows. No silver lining comes without a cloud, however. An all-in-one iMac is both more expensive, and harder to upgrade, than a standard Windows box. Gamers will rue the fact that the machines feature the less powerful mobile versions of AMD's graphics cards. It's hard to recommend the iMac to a gamer or for casual home productivity. But as a beautiful piece of technology that's easy to use, with something of the "wow factor", this computer stands at the apex.

4.0 out of 5 stars so far so GOOD, 17 April 2012
So far so good, this is an amazing machine, fast as lighting with instant responses, good graphics, a bit miserly with memory though, miles of storages space for your work, easy to link peripherals, "I've connected a 24" Dell screen through thunderbolt no hitches", works a treat, and you can run windows at the same time as OSX thats if you want to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliability and Design .... at a price, 2 Dec 2011
As a long term PC user, this transition has proved interesting. The design of this machine lives up to expectations: the absence of wires and clutter is very welcome. The screen is particularly good, although the mouse and keyboard are a little disappointing. The PC v Mac arguments are well rehearsed and I will not dwell upon them, save to say that the computer is remarkably stable even in the face of very poor Broadband, it is as "quick on its feet" as it should be at this spec and price, and that some Mac software is disappointing. In the round, using this computer is a very rewarding experience, adding a certain aesthetic experience to a usually mundane process, (albeit that the sense of conversion to a new dawn expressed by many Mac supporters eludes me!).
This computer's particular strengths lie in pictures, graphics and imagery generally. In retirement, this suits me pretty well, although I have an instinctive feeling that a small/medium business user, as I used to be, should think very hard about moving across from PC. The choice and performance of PC software would be the deciding factor, coupled with the need to adapt to a different system that is not as instinctive for PC users as some Mac advocates make out. I cannot comment on serious gaming performance.
As to the economics, the Amazon price was competitive, effectively a 10% discount, but the Mac ratio of specification to cost is not good in the first place, and would be purchasers should bear this in mind. I thought long and hard about this, and I am very content with the result. But, at this price and specification there are a number of equally good solutions: I do urge a thorough trial of each one before committing. Delivery was prompt, although the promise of a call from the carrier before delivery did not materialise.
Finally, easy to set up and very reliable so far, with every indication of that satisfaction will continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 3 Feb 2012
OT8. (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
I've used pc's and mac's I've had my current iMac since May 2011 and theres only two words to sum up the experience. IT WORKS!

I've filled up nearly a TB of hard disc with photos and it runs as quick today as the day I bought it. It's instant from sleep and less than 25 seconds from completely off. Compare that to windows where you wonder off and make a cup of tea. I have no problems running any programs and no amount of video editing stops it or even slows it down.

Apple care is beyond my expectations I couldn't get one of my printers working, I called apple and the guy said OK what make is it 20 minutes later he called back with all the details and it was sorted, it wasn't even an apple printer, wow.

Not only that it looks amazing if only Apple made wives, lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic PC - Fantastic Service, 19 Dec 2011
This iMac was ordered on Saturday morning 17th Dec as my Christmas present; requesting the free business delivery option - delivery promised by 24th Dec. Imagine my surprise when there was a knock on my door this afternoon, 19th Dec, from a courier with my iMac. Amazon are usually very good at delivering things quickly but this is nothing short of an excellent service. Thanks Amazon.

This is my first Mac - moving from a PC after sticking with Windows products since Win 95. Unboxed now, the iMac is as stunning as I remember it in PC World real eye candy on my desk. It was an absolute doddle to set up on my Wi-Fi and everything worked first time - it is much more intuitive compared to a PC. The screen is bright, colourful and crystal clear - even better than my HD TV which I thought was really impressive. All I have to do now is transfer all my videos, pictures and music but with a NAS drive this should be fairly easy but time consuming.

First impressions - a fantastic bit of kit I'm looking forward to using, but above all Amazon have excelled themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple iMac 27 inch Desktop PC, 4 July 2012
K. C. Ambrose "Film Bof B" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I decided to buy a new iMac about a year ago and so took plenty of time to review all the purchase options including buying directly from an Apple store.

The decision to buy my machine through a company supported by Amazon was made only a couple of weeks before I made the purchase when I discovered that there were considerable savings to be made through Amazon due to the almost daily fluctuations in the cost. Most will be aware that the full retail price of this machine is 1649.00 but my purchase of the machine through Amazon was able to save me almost 220 on the recommended price and I strongly advise that anyone making a similar purchase should follow the same route.

To have ordered and purchased such a high cost item from a small company outside the protection of Amazon might have been considered by some as risky in that the money could be taken without supply of the machine and the company disappear but the Amazon guarantees provide all the reassurance you need and the whole process of order, despatch and receipt of the goods was flawless. I actually ordered the machine just before a bank holiday but that did not stop it arriving the first working day after the bank holiday was over.

The machine itself is everything I expected and more. I thoroughly recommend the service and the item to anyone contemplating a similar purchase.

[ASIN:B004Z139UI New Apple iMac 27 inch All-In-One Desktop PC (Intel Core i5 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor, 2X2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB graphics) (Launched May 2011)]]