5.0 out of 5 stars There getting cheaper slowly|
Published on 19 Feb 2012 by Ricky

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointed.
Published 23 months ago by DHDLover

5.0 out of 5 stars There getting cheaper slowly|, 19 Feb 2012
I'd been look to upgrade my laptop for a while I put the max ram in (4G) upgraded the HDD TO 500G the CPU runs at 2.1GHZ (Dual core)but the thing was getting sluggish did a fresh install of windows still sluggish, Most laptops in my price range had the same specs so I didn't want to spend money on getting the same! thought for ages should i get a SSD, thought I'd wait until the price gets near to HDD but I took the plunge, best investment I've made.

Did a fresh install of Windows 7, had a few problems with updates freezing, but what a difference it's like having a new faster laptop (Sata 2 not 3) boot up from cold less than 30 second, power down less than 10 seconds, Itunes in under 3 seconds, internet Pages load way faster. I also bought an HDD adaptor which slots into the DVD drive (I put my old laptop HDD in it (didn't really use the DVD drive but I have a USB one anyway) so I now have SSD running OS and programs and HDD running everything else.

I will get another one for my netbook

UPDATE...

bought another one 10 cheaper! off here,
used my Acer back-up disc and there was not much difference between HDD and SDD took all the bloatware out, still the same, a little bit faster but not much more, so I put a clean install of Windows 7 64bit hopping it would make a difference, well it did, big time, my netbook Acer 1.5G dual core, 2G ram runs really fast now (for a netbook)
A very good upgrade

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it IS lightening fast..., 26 Jan 2012
Arun (Rhyl, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-60G Agility 3 60GB SATA III 2.5 inch SSD (Personal Computers)
*EDIT 30/01/12* - Windows Experience Index now rates this as 7.5 out of 7.9 - my 7200 RPM Hitachi 250GB HDD scored 5.9 and itself was very fast.

I'm sorry but please just forget all the numbers for a minute, including the advertised 'Read' and 'Write' speeds, and all the other numbers. I've just installed this into my Dell Studio 1749 as the primary Hard Drive. I paid 66 for this, not on Amazon. I then installed Windows 7 64-Bit onto it, after formatting it and assigning it a letter so My Computer identifies it. OK...

Firstly, the installation was really quick. Within about half-an-hour, which is amazing, Windows 7 64-Bit was installed and ready, including the 2 or 3 automatic restarts.

Secondly, and most importantly, Windows 7 64-Bit starts up within about 20 seconds. From the Windows Logo, it's about 15 seconds. Anything you subsequently install on the OCZ SSD, well double click on it and it jumps at you, instantly. I've just opened the Start menu and clicked randomly on several applications - Solitaire, Control Panel, Help and Support - instantly they appear right after you clicked them.

Thirdly, copying or cutting and pasting movies or big games around is about 5 or 6 times faster than my old HDD. Even transferring files to and from external HDDs being limited by the other HDD's transfer rate is still about 2.5 times as fast.

Yes, we all know SSDs are expensive, but you know what? If I can open up my laptop thinking that I am never going to be annoyed by random pauses and loading times of applications, and things conflicting, and then more waiting - the fact that I won't be staring at an annoying blue circle going round and round forever or, if you're on XP, where it would be even faster because it's lighter on system resources, that hourglass which keeps flipping around as if to makes the ridiculous loading times aesthetically pleasing, then I am utterly sold on this. And believe you me, it is fast, stupidly fast. Just forget those numbers, you install this SSD, you will be sold, and I guarantee that.

This is undoubtedly the best upgrade I have ever installed on my laptop, by a very long way. It will make a huge difference.

NB. You may have to buy something called an interposer which slots into the SSD and connects it to the area on your motherboard or laptop board. Usually if you take out your old HDD there will be one attached to the motherboard anyway. If you have a spare HDD bay on your laptop, then you may need another laptop-specific caddy to hold it in place.

4.0 out of 5 stars beats 3.5 and 2.5" HDD by a country mile, 13 Jan 2012
Had a 32GB Esata external drive hanging around so modified it to use as C drive in a desktop. Results were so impressive I bought one of these from Amazon for my 'main' desktop. (Skip to the end if not interested in technical mumbo jumbo :)

I see several reviews commenting that the speeds are nowhere near the published theoretical speeds. As this depends on hardware, disk block sizes, physical disk size, position of file on the HDD, file access types etc my approach was 'is it better than ehat I have now?'

My main system is an intel m/b SATA II Quad processor. Disk storage is: this 60GB SSD, Samsung spinpoint 500GB 7200.2 3.5" HDD, Seagate Momentum 160GB 7200.2 2.5" HDD To compare performance I shut down as many processes as possible and used ATTO disbench32 which reads and writes increasing size blocks of data, and h2testw which writes and reads (verfies) a continuous block of data.

Results (which should always be regarded as approx as not a lab test):

Using ATTO diskbench32

With very small 0.5KB block write/read (more is good)
SSD 14/16k 3.5" HDD, 3.7/5.5k 2.5" HDD 5/6k so 3.5" SD best and HDD worst.

As block size increases to more typical values, in a given time, maximum write/read speeds are:
SSD 185/270K (128KB block); 3.5" HDD 107/106K (64K block) ; 2.5" HDD 47/50K (16KB block)

So as expected the SSD is significantly faster and leaves a 2.5" laptop HDD in a poor 3rd (as expected as for the same speed HDD, 3.5" disks are always much faster than 2.5" disks)

Just to try something else I then used h2testw with similar outcome although not as clear cut (read and verify 1GB continuous data )

SSD w/r 75/132MB/s (13/7sec)
3.5" HDD w/r 97/96MB/s (10/10sec)
2.5" HDD w/r 43/44MB/s (22/22sec)

write then read/verify 1GB continuous data is not a typical activity for me (my largest files are typically photoshop image files) but shows the SSD and 3.5" HDD have similar performance and as expected the 2.5" HDD is much slower.

finally a practical test: loading Windows 7 from 'Starting Windows' to username prompt and how long till 'catherine wheel' stops when logging in. With 3.5" HDD 30/15 sec with SSD 10/3 seconds. Couldn't test on this system with 2.5" laptop HDD but based on Dell laptop with similar startup load would expect a lot worse.

Conclusions - using SATA II interface (as I don't havea SATA III):

SSDs are much better than HDDs for most tasks but particularly when loading large files such as Windows startup and big applications such as Photoshop or Microsoft Office.

If you routinely write and read very large files then there is no particular advantage with SSD over 3.5"HDD

I would certainly replace laptop/netbook HDDs with SSDs every time (subject to cost of course.) Also I would always use SSDs for C: boot drive of desktops, and 3.5" 7200 HDDs for D: (user data and swapfile) - until of course the price of SSDs drop to the stage when a 500GB SSD doesn't cost the same as a the system its in :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fast, 19 Dec 2011
Replaced 5400 rpm drive in laptop, boot time now 7/8 seconds from Bios screen. Windows 7
Scored 7.8 in Windows 7
Very rapid response in doing anything now.
Transformed Wife's 3 year old laptop into something that does
not need replacing for some time.

Extended battery life by 45 mins and clearly less heat generated, no drive noise also
also lightened laptop, put old drive in external SATA caddy for extra storage if ever required.

If you delete all the trudge that we collect on these drives then 60gb is ample for most
users.

71 delivered next day was an absolute bargain, I have now updated both laptops
and would recommend anybody fed up waiting for your machine to do something
get one fitted ASAP.

Would love to see one fitted in a 6gbs Sata 3 PC, Only getting 50/60% of the full potential
in Sata 2 but it's lightning anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem solved, 31 Jan 2012
I bought one of these drives a few weeks ago and it would install ok, but after installing a few programs it would then hang. It became very frustrating. To cut a long story short I entered the bios and altered the sata settings from ide to ahci.The drive now works faultlessly and my system boots up in a matter of seconds. Hope this may help anyone else who has problems

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointed., 12 Aug 2012
This being my first ssd I was quite excited, however after installing the OS and all my programs the ssd decided to DIE! yes literally less than half a day after opening the packet. I then tried it in two other computers and a laptop but still nothing. Luckily amazon have refunded me and i'm hoping that it was just a defect in the ssd and i'll have better luck with another ssd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Macbook 2008 Intel Core Duo 2, 4 May 2012
Good price (93). I paid a technical engineer 15 to the changing over of existing HD to SSD to save time. Very easy to reinstall Snow Leopard (will upgrade to Lion soon). When running parallels with Windows 8 the CPU does heat up so keep an eye on that - I downloaded a free app to keep an eye on CPU temp and adjust fan speed accordingly. Much more responsive now but I did perform a clean install of the OSX and only migrated across the applications I no longer have the discs for. When I migrated my whole account to a 13" Macbook Air the beach ball of death did reappear so clearly it needed cleaning up. With 4GB of RAM and a 120 SSD this Macbook can hold it's own compared to a Macbook air - which I'm returning. Worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second shot, even happier, 1 July 2011
The drive is quick but I really can't see the difference versus my Intel X25-M 80Gb SSD. I deliberately bought the 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 as the speeds are higher depending on the density of the NAND (60Gb slowest and 240Gb fastest) and this hits the value sweetspot.

First of all, make sure you have a 'true' SATA 3 6Gb/s motherboard. OCZ technical support suggest that this drive is best used on Intel Sandy Bridge motherboards. If you have a Marvell controller or otherwise on your board claiming to be SATA 3, it may not be much faster than SATA 2.

Note that Intel Rapid Storage Technology or other controller drivers may cause conflicts on a Marvell controller. Therefore, you should uninstall these and ensure you are on the Microsoft AHCI driver in Windows 7... TRIM may not work otherwise. The firmware should be updated right away with the OCZ Toolbox from their website.

UPDATED IN MARCH 2012

I bought a second OCZ Agility 3 120Gb SSD to upgrade a laptop. The original one is still going strong with no problems. The drive came shipped with the latest firmware 2.15 and only required a format to NTFS (used a caddy to connect to my laptop and format) prior to installing Windows 7.

A clean install is the best way to ensure that Windows 7 is configured for an SSD. However, you will still need to disable superfetch, scheduled disk defragmetation and drive indexing.

After many Windows updates, the laptop is transformed. It previously had a 5400RPM drive and boot time was about 90 seconds. It is now under 30 seconds. The other immediate difference is heat. I would not say the energy saving is much more than the HDD but the amount of heat generated is significantly less on my lap and the laptop is mostly silent apart from the occasional spinning up of the fan.

I have read reviews of the latest Indilinx controllers but none deliver the IOPS of the Agility 3 at this price point. A good all-rounder performer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good upgrade, but best used on a new installation, 12 Nov 2012
L. Green - See all my reviews
I went for an SSD after having had quite a few 'conventional' HDD's fail on me. I was not after a massive speed increase, just a reliable drive, which would come with some speed and quietness advantages. It was for my own desktop PC, not a laptop.

This OCZ drive was purchased on price, predominantly, as it was a good compromise between cost and size.

Physical installation was a breeze, as you can either use an adapter bay, or like I did, self adhesive velcro; I tested the unit for a while to see how hot it was getting, and concluded that the SSD was never going to cause heat issues for the velcro adhesive. Once connected by a suitable SATA cable, I simply stuck it to the inside of the PC case where it was least problematic.

However, as I was transferring my Win 7 install from my old HDD, this is where it's a little more complicated. To do so you have to clone your 'C' drive complete with the windows installation from your old hard drive. Before you do it, though, it has to be physically smaller than the SSD you are putting it on to with a reasonable bit of free space to spare, so all the 'my documents' stuff has to be moved onto another drive, then clean up and defrag the drive to get rid of all the rubbish you don't need. I used Auslogics Disk Defrag and CCleaner for that.

You then clone your old drive onto a second PC with 120GB free space using a disc cloning tool (there are free ones out there) and then copy it across to the SSD by 'restoring' it. I used one of those external USB SATA drive connectors to do it so that I didn't have to open up the PC.

Once I did that, the SSD drive was plugged into the motherboard in place of the original HDD, and when the PC was started, it went through the boot up and windows log on, installed a few drivers as detected by Windows, re-booted and then was fully up and running. It worked first time, although when I checked the alignment it did show me that the drive needed aligning. I used Gparted for this, the free version has a way of doing it in the 'advanced' section of the drive partition menu where you can resize the partition and align. The PC then will be restarted and the drive alignment takes ten minutes or so during the start up.

While the transfer process wasn't super complicated, it was a faff about and lots of people will be put off by the process. That why I think that unless you have stuff you don't want to lose but can't transfer somehow, a clean windows install will be by far and away the best way to do it.

Was the installation worth it? Without a doubt, Windows starts lots faster and when I use Photoshop Elements 10, any changes, or files I open are immediate. It is totally silent too, so anyone after a quiet PC will appreciate that. The only down side is the size, you cannot realistically store anything on it, so you are condemned to still having a traditional HDD to store your films, music and photos on unless you own a bank.

5.0 out of 5 stars slapped inside a macbook late 08, 21 Sep 2012
A. Ashmore "Is mr roo" (newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
bought this as the boot drive and put my old drive in the optical bay.

extremely easy to install,
upgraded the firmware using the OCZ toolbox.

Before the upgrade I was getting 120MBps read 130MBps write
after the upgrade and applying a fix for the SATA negotiation I'm now getting

190MBps read 150MBps read, much more than my old spinning drive at 60/60

happy with the performance, oh and it boots in about 10 seconds!