4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire/Werewolf story with a twist!
I enjoyed this book and thought the idea of an immortal becoming mortal again was great. The way this played out was quite original and made it stand out from the other paranormal young adult books out there.

Published on 18 Jun. 2011 by Lisa F

3.0 out of 5 stars good for the YA reader
Published on 13 Feb. 2013 by Sadie Forsythe

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire/Werewolf story with a twist!, 18 Jun. 2011
Lisa F (Oldham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vampires Rule (Rule Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

There were lots of things that reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer here- in a good way - and if you enjoyed the tv series or the books then I would recommend reading this.

The pace is fast and keeps you turning pages but there is also lots of humour. i loved Jack's sense of humour and laughed out loud at some points.

This book is the first of a series and I am looking forward to reading the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read!!, 6 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Vampires Rule (Rule Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Jack a vampire on returning home again is attacked by a werewolf as he's trying to protect a girl who he only notices because his vampire friend warned him about, failing to know that she could in fact look after herself and gets himself infected. After going home to die or so he thinks, the girl Silver comes to the rescue. After going back to school Jack meets Jersey his English teacher. I can see why Jack would like his teacher and can relate to Jersey Clifford even after finding out what he is and it will be interesting to see how that plays out in the next book.

I really enjoyed this book and I loved the whole Vampire becoming human again twist.
As for his vampire friends who have been his family for the past 10 years, well can't wait to see what Cowboy gets up to next, will definitely be getting the next book!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice twist on vampire/werewolf monotony, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Vampires Rule (Rule Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I thought this was a great book, really enjoyed the fact that it was from the male vampire protagonists' point if view. Few simple grammatical errors/spellings but these are easily over looked! Fantastic book over all, definitely reading the next next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars having been subjected to poor characters, poorer plots and inconsistent endings in the ..., 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Vampires Rule (Rule Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Usually I start a free book with a certain amount of trepidation, having been subjected to poor characters, poorer plots and inconsistent endings in the past. However I was hooked after the first few chapters. Blake has an easy, comfortable style of writing that allows you to get to know the characters without having to work past a load of jargon and irrelevant description. The developing fate/love story between two of the main characters keeps your interest and the Jekyll/Hyde personality of another keeps you guessing throughout. I couldn't wait to read the rest of the series!

3.0 out of 5 stars good for the YA reader, 13 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Vampires Rule (Rule Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I'm having a little trouble writing this review. Not because I don't know what I want to say, but because I don't want to write the exact same review 15 other people already have. The truth is, however, that just like a number of previous readers, I found the idea of this story fascinating but the execution lacking. Jack, Silver, and Jersey's destiny was an interesting one, but there were a number of plot holes and a couple just curiosity holes.

I thought that the characters were a little flat and I greatly disliked the way that Silver was constantly treated as a child. She had trained her WHOLE life to be a werewolf hunter. Jack had just been introduced to the art. But everyone was willing to let him take the lead and all of the risks. Why? Was she really so weak? If so, how had she survived so long without him? I mean she's part of the prophecy (or whatever) too. It smacked of paternalistic sexism...have to protect the precious, fragile female at all cost. Oh god, just gag me.

I did really appreciate Jersey Clifford in all of his poetry spewing badness. He felt like he had more depth than all of the other character combined. Cowboy and Lily had a lot of potential too. Similarly the interaction between Jack and his brother was thought provoking. Billy's experience surely had to be the hardest of any other character. He deserves some credit.

It was hard to reconcile the 'we have to save the world' plot line with the 'innocent love' storyline. I suppose if I was 15 and didn't know how much more life had to offer I might be able to relate to the importance of being a couple (holding hands, carrying her books, etc). But as an adult I found the whole thing too...too vanilla. Granted, I am an adult and this is a YA book (and I'd expect it to best appeal to the lower age brackets of the genre). But even if I could get excited about it, I have a hard time believing two people tasked with such a heavy destiny would stop in the middle of it to cuddle and declare their undying love. Not the time people.

My final and extremely inelegant say on the matter is that the book was alright and will likely appeal to Twilight's younger fan base.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book for younger teens, 25 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Vampires Rule (Rule Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Vampires Rule by K.C. Blake has several things going for it. First off it takes the pretty stale YA vampire theme and puts enough of a twist on it to make it interesting. Jack (AKA Jackpot) has been a vampire for about 10 years. As per his yearly ritual he returns home to check on his "little" brother. In his hometown he runs gets into a fight with a werewolf and is saved by a hunter that should be trying to kill him as well. When he wakes up he has been changed back into a mortal. He and the hunter that saved him (Silver) are prophesied to bring an end to the epidemic of supernatural threats. That basis for the story has a lot of potential and leads to some interesting places. The origin story for the vampires and werewolves was also a pretty good one.

The romance angle of the story between Jack and Silver really did not add anything to the appeal of the book for me. It seemed more awkward than was really necessary and seemed to fit into the Twilight mold a little too much for me. Overall this story is actually probably not bad for younger teens and the pros outweigh the cons. I will most likely check out the second book in the series to see what new surprises there are in store.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!, 2 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Vampires Rule (Rule Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Tried so heard to get into the story without success. Badly written, rubbish story just dreadful dreadful dreadful! Reads like a kid's effort at writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Vampires Rule (Rule Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I am an avid reader of sci fi and love books also that include vampires. Having watched the vampire diaries I wondered what this book would offer. Well all I can say is well done. I could not put this book down. I am now off to get the second book. Thank you for a wonderful story line. I look forward to review ing the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent ya story, 27 Jun. 2014
jack scoltock (derry) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vampires Rule (Rule Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
As a writer of children's and young adult fiction I really enjoyed this Vampire and Werewolf story.
Kasi is an excellent writer and kept me reading Vampires Rule right to the end.
The characters were well drawn. Silver and Jack made good romantic leads.
I will look for more of Kasi's stories.
Jack

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, review may contain spoiler, 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Vampires Rule (Rule Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A good solid book with a slightly different take on the vampire genre, nice to have characters that are not all fawning over each other and how wonderful vampires/werewolves are!

This is immensely readable, the writing flows and I'd always read far more than I though I had time for. The characters are understandable and identifiable, all in all an enjoyable read. The only negative was that I found the plot a bit predictable, in fact towards the end where it appeared a double cross was to be discovered it wasn't as sizeable as a twist could or should have been.

I would probably read the next, if I'm not being shouted at for other books but will still be hoping for that huge double cross that in my opinion was missing from this one.

Vampires Rule (Rule Series Book 1)