4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Follow Up
If you enjoyed the first book, you will enjoy this the second. Rae's character is developing as are her magical skills and relationships. The plot keeps you on your toes, and has some good twists. You also see potential in where the future of this story is going in the coming books.
Published on 19 May 2011 by Boo Tabs

3.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel
This was a good follow up book to Demon Girl. It's about twice as long as Demon Girl so there's lots more action and story development and it also introduces many more characters giving the book a lot more back stories.

Published on 18 July 2011 by Alison Wadsworth

3.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel, 18 July 2011
This review is from: Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

My biggest praise about this book was that it answered a lot of lingering questions from Demon Girl. Things were explained and expanded upon which helped to link together some of the threads nicely. Of course a LOT more questions popped up along the way but I'm confident they will be explained in the third and final book.

The main thread of the story follows Rae as she, Connal and Breandon attempt to hunt Devlin. Rae wants revenge for the death of her best friend and she also needs to get the powerful faery book from him so that she can unite demon kind and crown Breandon's brother as the true High Lord. Along the way they meet a shifter pack who needs their help. The shifter alpha's daughters have been kidnapped by the human clerics and the shifters agree to help Rae track Devlin if she helps bring back their daughters. The story goes on a massive whirlwind when Rae finds herself as the next kidnapped victim of the clerics and comes to realise why they are kidnapping demons - for Demon Day.

As with Demon Girl, the story literally is non stop. We as a reader are thrown from one terrifying situation to another with not much rest in between. There are some major developments made in relation to the Breandon and Tomas issue and Rae comes to realise that neither will give her up to the other without a fight.

Just as an aside note I think I should point out that even though most of this book can be classed as YA, there are some violent scenes and a storyline revolving around torture which is explicitly described. And also a mild(ish) sex scene.

Star wise, ive given it the same as Demon Day (3 stars) because I personally would have liked a little break from all the mayhem and madness of the storyline in which to just enjoy the characters themselves. And also because the grammatical errors in this one are actually worse than the first. I think the author needs to get a proof reader because sometimes this made me halt reading a sentence and have to read it back a couple of times to figure it out.

But other than those small things I really enjoyed reading Demon Day and look forward to Demon Dark coming out in September and finding out what conclusion can be brought to this exciting series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Follow Up, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
The other comments about proof reading are true. However, for the price, you are getting a great story which you will find hard to put down. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, 14 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
So this is the first review i ever written for an author! I read many book of fayries and similaris,and i thought this one would be a good back up while i wait for something better from my fav authoress ( i won't say her name..)..But how wrong i was!!This saga is amazing!It's not a cut out of any other,it does have some common elements of fairy stories but it's much more original..The first installation,Demon Girl,i liked it,but it was a little poor,it was like,too much running,but i enjoy it anyway..But Demon Day keep the promise of the first one up,and add much more to an already really cool bunch of carachters!
The protagonist,Rae Wilder,she is a badass,indepentent girl,she isn't waiting for anyone around,and i can relate myself to her...I can't wait for the 3rd one!
Anyhow,Penelope,you really need a proof reader (i could offer myself :P )just to correct those little mistyping errors,but it's already better than Demon girl.. :)
Keep it up!
Hope my review will be useful for others!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 1 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
WARNING ~ SPOILERS IN REVIEW.

Wow ~ what a fab book! Action packed and fast paced throughout the whole story ~ and definitely not for kids as the sexual tension positively vibrates throughout the book. Rae is a passionate, sexual creature (as demonstrated by her desire for Tomas, despite her growing love for Breandan). There is a particularly sexy scene where Rae and Breandan are dancing with the Shifters, in what is obviously an act of erotic foreplay. Later in the book, they are separated and their enforced distance means that the bond builds and builds until their reunion is positively explosive and extremely sexy and erotic. The reunion scene is brilliantly written, compulsive reading, truly electrifying and realistically passionate.

The book is unpredictable. It has twists and turns that I did not foresee. Characters reappear that I didn't expect to see again. Characters that appear trustworthy and honourable deceive and harm. In addition to the mounting sexual tension in the story, the violence also escalates to horrific proportions. The book's pace increases as the story progresses and the ending is as unexpected as it is violent.

Only one of part of the story seemed strangely contrived to me ~ and that was the visit to Papa Obe. They left a particular situation, went to visit Papa Obe and then went back to the original situation. It seemed a foolish and time consuming thing to do when time was an issue with them. I know that a protective spell was secured but it didn't really add to the story in any way.

This was, overall, a really good read ~ I was really tired last night, had trouble keeping my eyes open but still couldn't put the book down. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good follow up but could have been better!, 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I thought that the first book was well crafted and a great read, with an interestimg plotline despite the crazy spelling and grammatical errors and I looked forward to the next book. Whilst I really liked the story progression, the introduction of new characters that expanded and rounded out the universe, also liked that there was more explanation about events of the past and demon history or folklore. However, I thought the book was spoiled firstly by (as many other reviewers have commented on) the number of errors. Given this was a common theme in the reviews of the first book you would have thought more effort would be made in this one; I expect to see errors in reviews but not in published works and I think that this is poor and reflects badly on the author and publisher! My second gripe is that a significant proportion of the book seems to be taken up with endless and repetive descriptions of foreplay between Rae and Breandan to the point that I was almost irritated by them both - do it or don't do it but stop messing about! I am all for creating intrigue and suspense but it all got a bit ridiculous and worse of all repetitive. They are in love - got it! Their love is against the rules - got it! They can't keep their hands off each other - got it! Stop beating us over the head with it, especially as the descritions weren't quite adult enough but were a little too full on to be innocent so came across as a clumsy almost accidentally funny at times hybrid. I felt better editing would have cut some of those "scenes" and chosen to pull the action forward a little and provided more depth and detail to some of the other key pivotal points in the story as some of these felt skimmed over in comparison. The end felt a little rushed and I don't think it needed to be without compromising on the pace and climax.

This being said it is still a good, fast paced story, with some surprises thrown in to add to the adventure. I would have perhaps liked more story from other's perpective as this would add a deeper dynamic to the plot, and despite the spelling mistakes I would recommend it as a good read. If you've not read the first book I think that it would be a bit hard to pick up the story so would suggest reading it first. I look forward to the third installment - hopefully with less errors please!

3.0 out of 5 stars Haven't Finished, 19 Dec. 2012
J. Oram (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I haven't finished reading yet - although I am really enjoying the story. I'm finding the characters engaging and the general story is good, but on the downside, the book is badly written. I haven't yet read a page on which there has not been some kind of typo (seriously, even running spell check would have improved it!) and a lot of the time, the typos distract from the story. Several times I have had to stop and reread parts because of spelling mistakes and missing punctuation - it makes the book really difficult to read.

Also, several times I had no idea what was actually happening in the story. Several scenes are confusingly written (which shows Rae's confusion towards the situation, but at the same time, forces me to lose all track of what's going on) and one scene in particular (I don't want to give anything away by saying which) is hardly written at all - rather than showing me what is happening, I am (almost literally) told "some really horrible things happened". It was hard for me to feel the sympathy I should have felt, because I was being kept in the dark.

Personally, I would not pay the current price for this book (I bought it at a lower price a few months back) - especially if you know the first thing about writing/the English language. It's a shame because I really want to read the next book when I'm finished, but I don't want to pay for a story I will be reading as if I am proofing it rather than just enjoying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable sequel, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
If you enjoyed the first Rae Wilder novel (I did) then this is worth getting. Characters that were poorly developed in the first book (notably Alex) gain far more depth to them and the story feels like a real follow on to Demon girl. If I have one complaint, it's the obvious lack of proofreading that this novel needs. Overall though, a lot of fun and well worth the money spent on it. I eagerly await the final chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 5 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
read the first one and had to buy the second and now I have to wait till September for the third, AAAArgh. I Love These Books, yes there are a few typo's but so what, the content is good, the story line gripping and it leaves you wanting to know more, in my eyes the evidence of a good book.
Author - hurry up and write the third one - please :O)

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as good, if not better than the first, 24 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
If you enjoyed the first novel, you're bound to enjoy this one too.

Like the first there were lots of spelling mistakes and typos, but was not hard to decipher what the author actually intended to write.

The novel is fast paced and exciting, although sometimes to the point that I felt like I was racing through the book. This isn't really a bad thing, although it would be nice to see slow the pace down sometimes and see some "normal" more relaxed scenes between all the running, fighting, danger and passion.

Some interesting new characters have been introduced, both enemies and allies, I'm hoping that they all make an appearing in the 3rd book (which by the way, i'm going to order after writing this review!) and that we will get to know them better.

I was disappointed to note that the 3rd book is going to be the final book! :-( I've thoroughly enjoyed the first two books and feel like we are only just getting to know the characters and settling into the world of Rae Wilder. Please write more? :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 17 May 2011
This review is from: Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
So far of the books i've finished on kindle, the errors in this annoyed me more than any other. I can understand that the book was cheap and that is probably why but none the less, still very frustrating. I loved the story, it was a great follow up to Demon girl and i was upset to finish and discover the next isn't out until september. I would definitely recommend, and have recommended to friends. Its fast paced, exciting and engrossing.

Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2)
Compel (Rae Wilder Book 2) by Penelope Fletcher