5.0 out of 5 stars Bike Touring Survival Guide
I've been bike touring for years now, being lucky enough to have covered thousands of miles all over the world, and yet I still found this book un-put-downable. Why? Maybe I'm bike touring obsessed or it may just be that its easy reading style and endless supply of useful facts made it so addictive.
Im sure its not designed as a cover to cover read, but I'd say...
Published on 3 May 2011 by Papa Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedius
I thought this book was about cycle camping but you have to be put through numberous hoops before you get to the 'nitty-gritty' of touring. Regretfully I could only get it on my Kindle. A paper copy would be much preferred
Published 3 months ago by Big Bum Bill

5.0 out of 5 stars Bike Touring Survival Guide, 3 May 2011
This review is from: Bike Touring Survival Guide (Kindle Edition)
Im sure its not designed as a cover to cover read, but I'd say anyone considering a tour whether a weekend jaunt or worldwide epic needs to read this book. I found myself nodding along to familiar concepts and experiences as many times as I reflected on ideas new to me. Andrew & Friedel Grant draw on their own broad experience as well as that of others to write a truly comprehensive manual that'll guide the reader from beginner's basics through to how to survive in the wilder corners of the globe.
If you haven't got the patience to read it all in one go, or prefer to use it as a reference you can download it to your smart phone or netbook and take it along on tour for ready reference.
In my local bike shop five quid will buy a tiny bell, a very unfashionable hat, a couple of energy bars, or a magazine about jumping off bus shelter roofs on bikes with no saddles. I think a fiver spent on this book could well be a better buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Bike Touring Survival Guide (Kindle Edition)
Essentially a condensed version of the website and an ideal format to take on the road or to keep for reading when offline.

A wealth of experience is crammed in here, little in the way of extraneous filler and the information is of a kind that is sure to save you at least once on a trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survive & go on., 16 May 2012
This review is from: Bike Touring Survival Guide (Kindle Edition)
This book is an absolute mine of information covering just about anything you could need to know when travelling on two wheels.
Whether you are on a mini staycation or a global tour for life there are likely to be the odd hiccup to the downright disaster, but with this book to hand you can head most of it off, but if it does happen then the guides and hints in here will get you going again.
Absolute gem of a book, now on my Kindle for future reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply THE book you need if you are planning a bike tour!, 17 May 2015
This review is from: Bike Touring Survival Guide (Kindle Edition)
On the verge of starting our own (and short) 3-week touring guide adventure in Cambodia, I bought this book thinking I would find some useful tips and recommendations for the trip. But I found a really complete book, containing not only general tips (lots of them), but many recommendations for specific products (I found this extremely useful, as even if you don't buy that product, it gives a much valuable hint on what to expect of products of the kind). Some of these we have already purchased and are about to try. The books is, besides, very well structured, easy to follow and simple (for the non native English speakers the chapter on bike mechanics might be a bit more difficult, but it is a matter of technical vocabulary and most of the times there is no way to call "those bike parts" something else). I absolutely recommend this book to anyone planning a tour on the bike. Great job, Andrew and Friedel!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that has inspired & informed me most, 27 May 2013
C. J. Boarland (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bike Touring Survival Guide (Kindle Edition)
In June 2013 I am cycling c. 1000 miles from Roscoff in Brittany to Santander, Spain. This book has been the very best read in helping me prepare for my first cycle tour. What inspired me most was the the advice that whilst preparation is great, at the end of the day you have to just get out there and cycle. It made me realise that I was in danger of over preparing and not doing enough cycling. After reading the book I did that, just got on my bike out on the road which has been the best preparation of all. Full of useful information, particularly kit and equipment lists which has helped me select some fab items. The Take-a-Look mirror has probably been the best of all. Thanks guys, really useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars May be the only cycle touring book you need, 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Bike Touring Survival Guide (Kindle Edition)
I've read a small number of bike touring books - some of them good, some rather dreadful (just because you can ride a bike or have sex doesn't mean you can write an inspiring book about cycling or an erotic masterpiece) but this is by far the most practical guide to cycle touring I've read. It covers pretty much all of the questions the nervous wanabee cycle tourist will have and so in its straightforward way is ultimately far more inspiring than all of those personal travelogues. In truth it might be better to buy it direct from the authors (easy to find on the web) as the update procedure for later editions is far smoother and less problematical.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Bike Touring Survival Guide (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed reading the Bike Touring Survival Guide because it had so much good and relevant information about cycle touring in general. I know a lot is really common sense but they added so much more from actual 'experience' that left you feeling any problems can be simply sorted out. I reached the end feeling very inspired to get on my bike and start touring without thinking one has to cover every eventuality before it arrives. Coping with mishaps is part of the journey, that is if they even happen! There is so much good advice that anyone thinking of any sort of cycle touring would be wise to read this, you will be very glad you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, this is the one book you should buy., 17 April 2015
This review is from: Bike Touring Survival Guide (Kindle Edition)
This is a very well written and researched guide aimed at anyone keen to have an adventure on a bike including a simple over night stay as well as the round the world epics. So glad I bought it even though I don't really want to ride thousands of miles on one trip I still find all the sections really interesting and useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starting point, 22 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Bike Touring Survival Guide (Kindle Edition)
I am planning my first long cycle trip and this is a great place to start. It gives recommendations for kit and answers all the right questions. It also really makes you want to get on your bike and get riding. I'll be referring back to it a lot as I prepare my trip.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedius, 3 April 2015