5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this one, DONT buy a cheap one!
Okay, so it might look a little expensive for what it is and truth be told - it is? £40-50 for the sake of not having to change a optical cable every 5 minutes. Worth it? YES.

Published on 5 July 2012 by Mr. N. J. Webb

2.0 out of 5 stars Great initially .... but poor for long term reliabilty
Let me say at the outset , that this device is ,Initially, a vast improvement on cheap optical switches.
The switch is very simple, easy to install and, initially, reliable.

However, when used continuously over a year, the following problems become apparent:

Published 19 months ago by I. A. Peden

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this one, DONT buy a cheap one!, 5 July 2012
This review is from: InLine 4x2 Active Digital Audio TOSlink Optical Selector Switch - audio switch - 4 ports - desktop (Accessory)

I, like another reviewer here originally purchased the cheap £5 rip-off tacky-plastic passive switch. Needless to say I experienced similar problems, the sound crackles and occasionally cut out. As for my blu-ray I heard NOTHING. Same for PC (Worked with a crackle with a smaller optical cable, but not with a larger one).

So I got a refund due to the product not doing what it described..

Then... I saw this one ;). After some debating I decided to bite the bullet as it seemed to have fairly good reviews, and I have to say I am very impressed in comparison to the last one I had.

- Sound is Faultless, No crackling
- No Cutting out
- Works on all of my devices, regardless of whether I use a 1 Metre or 20M Optical cable flawlessly
- Looks cool and is a nice comfortable size.

The short of it is, don't hesitate to purchase this because of your experience with a cheap plastic one. It'll do exactly what it says on the box and it won't disappoint. Just make sure you purchase a universal plug adapter to account for the german plug ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars At last ! An active switch with remote, that works, 14 July 2012
A. Ball (West Sx UK) - See all my reviews
Performs exactly as advertised, though I'm only switching two sources (Panasonic Blu-Ray and Sky HD+) into one output at present. No sign of signal integrity problems at all. My Logitech universal remote accepted the switch remote codes with a bit of persuasion, so the switch is now nicely integrated with everything else. I have the unit sandwiched vertically between two larger boxes, and all seems to work fine. The LEDs on the front do need toning down a bit for a darkened room.
Annoyingly, the price seems to have dropped by £10 in the last week - some you win, some you lose I guess - perhaps a sign of the success of this item - even better value at the new price, obviously. As noted elsewhere, this comes with a power adaptor designed to plug straight into a continental wall socket, so you'll want an adaptor. I ended up using a UK power adaptor of the right voltage/current from my collection (which everyone seems to have these days), though I guess this strictly invalidates the warranty.
Excellent service (< 4 days), considering it came all the way (!) from Germany and postage was free

4.0 out of 5 stars working but bigger than expected, 17 Oct. 2012
I. A. Jakubiak "techno addict" (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
I needed to connect 2 digital optical sources to my samsung blu ray home cinema system.
After a lot of consideration I decided to give the Inline toslink a try.
It arrived within a week, but I was a bit shocked by the size of the box. It didn't help that Amazon packed it in another box twice the size.
In any case, I managed to put it on top of my sky+ box in a lying position. It wasn't easy to remove the foot and there are no instructions how to do it. Basicaly, you need to push (or pull) the foot toward one of the ends and then the plastic locks open.
It has 4 inputs and 2 outputs as described. However, what was of a bit concern to me, the output sockets don't have the characteristic shape of optical digital socket with cut off 2 corners, they are just square and I had a feeling that the cabel wouldn't sit in tightly enough. But it works and it didn't fall out!
The remote is tiny, about half centimeter thick (less than a kindle) and again, there is no instruction. The 4 buttons represent 4 inputs and you can check which represents which.
The annoying thing is that for all this money they didn't bother to include a UK plug.
See my pictures above for more details.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great initially .... but poor for long term reliabilty, 28 Sept. 2013
I. A. Peden - See all my reviews
The switch is very simple, easy to install and, initially, reliable.

1: One output transmission optical port failed when the optical cable jammed , probably as a result of heat.The Cable could not be removed without using force, which, of course, destroyed the port.

2: The second transmission optical port failed with diode failure.

3: The Power supply, being totally unshielded, began inducing large mains hum in nearby phono cables.This is poor when considering that the device was bought to eliminate mains hum caused by earth loops!. The hum can be reduced, but not entirely removed ,by re-positioning the power supply relative to newer , replacement ,phono cables.

I have had to buy another of these devices ....and will report on the long term reliability.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Just Works, 25 Dec. 2012
Big Pearse (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
I'd been looking for an optical switcher to integrate into my set-up. Put off by bad reviews on the cheaper manual switchers, I opted for this product. It has everything I want: the ability to switch between both my optical inputs, and it can be operated via IR remote control.
As a bonus, I'm able to use my Logitech Harmony 600 remote with this product, using the model number 89906. My only niggle is that the lights on the front are a bit too bright, but I'm going to try putting a dark lens over them.
The switching is precise and doesn't crackle or lose sound. Buy it if you can afford it. As in other reviews, remember the EU adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Optical Switch - No More Audio Drop Out or Selection Problems!, 29 April 2012
Superb Service from Friese IT! I had a cheap optical selector switch that periodically cut out which was very frustrating. This device is excellent worth every penny and works perfectly with no dropout or selection problems. I ordered this product on Friday and it arrived Tuesday morning 3 days earlier than estimated which is amazing considering it was dispatched from Germany via Amazons Super Saver free delivery service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected, 19 April 2012
An excellent piece of kit. Well made; tactile buttons on the unit itself; convenient remote control (supplied with battery) can be used instead; no signal degradation; instant start-up and switching.

Mine came via Amazon Marketplace from ALB Computer in Germany but a high quality UK plug adaptor was included by the seller; top marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect to share just one input in the amplifier, 1 Feb. 2013
Very small and with its own remote. Working with my old amplifier with just one toslonk input to feed XBOX360, PS3 and Satellite Receiver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Dec. 2011
Does what it say on the tin. Fantastic if you got a few kit with more digital out put cable than your amp can accommodate. No signal loss at all. Very convenient IR handset. No faults with design at all. Performs brilliantly.

3.0 out of 5 stars An optical selector that actually works, 18 Mar. 2012
Like most people, I tried the cheaper optical selectors & to be honest they were awful! After getting fed fiddling about with them when using my PS3 I finally caved in & bought this.

It works perfectly, no sound dropping out or crackling & it's great having a romote to switch between sources.

The only reason I gave this 3 stars is because it came with a European plug meaning I had to buy a separate adaptor. The product it's self, is great!