5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Cd
Published on 14 July 2011 by gusone

3.0 out of 5 stars No Booklet
It was a shame that the CD front cover/booklet did not come with it, if I had realised that I would have bought from somewhere else. That said, top album.
Published 8 months ago by Mr P A Gorry

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Cd, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Sounds of a Playground Fading (Audio CD)
I love In Flames though I only started listening to them from Reroute to the Remain. True to form they continue to progress along. Great catchy modern sounding metal CD. Typical In Flames doing what they want to do. We're all getting older so you'll love this as well since the same of thrash is boring after all. In fact I am loving how the Scandi bands are getting older and expanding their sound (think of Soilwork and The Haunted as well). Great bands and great last CDs the lot of them. In conclusion another great In Flames CD and one getting played each night as far as I am concerned. Keep it up lads and keep making them!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is more like it, 2 July 2011
This review is from: Sounds of a Playground Fading (Audio CD)
After the very average 'A Sense of Purpose' I really thought In Flames had lost it, however im happy to say this album improves on its predecessor in almost every way.

People expecting a return to their Death Metal roots will be disappointed, however I urge you to open your mind and give this album a try. For me it rivals Come Clarity as the best In Flames album since Clayman. I wont give a track by track analysis as I believe you have to actually listen to the music, but what I will say are the standout tracks (for me) are 'Fear is the Weakness', Where the Dead Ships Dwell', 'Ropes', and 'A New Dawn', (Ropes + WTDSD being my favourites). I also really like the title track, 'Deliver Us', and 'Darker Times'. One thing this album has in spades are amazing guitar riffs, melodies and solos. Bjorn's songwriting ability really amazes me, I would love to meet him just so I could shake his hand and tell him how much I love what he did with this album writing wise.

What I should also talk about is the production quality, which is excellent. The mix is near perfect, you can hear every instrument very clearly and the tone of each sounds perfect. I feel each album post Clayman has suffered in production quality (Reroute to Remain = muddy, Soundtrack to your Escape = scratchy thin sounding guitars, Come Clarity = very trebly, A Sense of Purpose = bland and dull sound) but here In Flames finally managed to get everything right and the album really benefits from it. I would say this album in a nutshell is 'A Sense of Purpose' with better riffs, better production, and better lyrics, because although the style of music is similar its done here in a much better way than on that album.

Is this album perfect? No of course not, it has filler songs (The Attic, Jesters Door) average songs (All for Me, The Puzzle, Enter Tragedy) but even the average songs are good, and the album has a whole works well. If you are a fan of In Flames or indeed a fan of Heavy music in general I suggest you give this CD a listen, I warn you it is a grower but I feel once it has grown on you you'll be happy you gave it a chance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good! Finally!, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Sounds of a Playground Fading (Audio CD)
As a long time In Flames fan I really enjoy seeing the band making better music once again.
This is clearly in the more modern vein of the past 3 albums and it does have a lot of keyboard sounds and samples here, making it sound very modern. If you are looking for the "old" In Flames, you will be disappointed. If you, like me, like all phases of In Flames, you will enjoy this record. The songwriting is better and more varied and the sound is much more clearer and defined than on the last record.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible and heavy, 26 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Sounds of a Playground Fading (Audio CD)
This album has been on my wish list for sometime and thankfully I pulled my finger out and bought it.

In Flames successfully, I think, mix different styles and genres of metal together while making their music accessible. I'll be clear about accessible, I don't mean poppy, commercial or mainstream. In Flames combined all the metal they love into an excellent and well executed album.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good release, 11 Dec. 2011
perceive (Vic Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sounds of a Playground Fading (Audio CD)
This is a paraphrasing from my website where I review the album song by song...

I have not listened to this band since there first album came out last millennia. They just did not strike me at the time as my thing. So it was with a bit of surprise that I listened to this album as it was not what I expected. A note for fans, well, this might not be your thing, especially if you were mainly a fan of their death metal era, so you are warned! As I had not heard anything from the band in years I could approach this with a pretty much unconcerned view of how their past albums relate to this one but I do warn others to try and hear it first!

The songs are catchier than I had expected from the band, with a lot more in the way of anthemic choruses etc.
A very good album though the mid section left me wanting some more changes. It is very well produced having a fair amount of dynamic, by todays standards, and at the moment is the go to album for me for going for a walk. I expect that there will be a few albums that will top this before the end of the year but this disc is certainly worth repeated listens. It was a tough choice between three and 4 stars here as it really is a 3.5 - I have rounded up but be aware I do not rate it a true 4 star album.

5.0 out of 5 stars The melody is back, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Sounds of a Playground Fading (Audio CD)
This is one of the more melodic albums from In Flames and have become possibly my favorite album from the band. If you like the genre, this is an album you MUST have.

3.0 out of 5 stars No Booklet, 14 Sept. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Sounds of a Playground Fading (Audio CD)
I love In Flames to me they can't do no wrong and yet again this album proves it also great band live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 April 2015
Brigitte Wise (Berks) - See all my reviews
brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Aug. 2014
Very good

Sounds of a Playground Fading
Sounds of a Playground Fading by In Flames (Audio CD - 2011)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available