Published on 19 May 2012 by RH1802

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
First things first. Im a big Incubus fan and was very excited to hear about this new release. As the title of the review will give away, i am disappointed.
Published on 14 July 2011 by JC

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 14 July 2011
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Audio CD)
There's no 2 ways to say it, this is not a rock album. Incubus fans who have liked the previous albums will be split on this, it definitely isnt more of the same, in fact there are more similarities in the style of music to Coldplay than to their previous work.
One of the other reviews says that different isnt always worse. Thats true but it depends on the style of music you like. I have no problem with Coldplay and that sort of music, but in the previous Incubus album they've done such great up tempo rock music and from my point of view its a shame there is none of that here.
Positives - the vocals, as always, are great. The best track is probably Adolecents, but even this would be a middle of the road track in the past albums.
For me Incubus have done some brilliant slower tracks; the likes of Southern Girl, Drive, etc are sensationally good, but they always managed to get the balance right on the previous albums. For me the balance is wrong.
If you've only got one or two Incubus albums and are thinking of buying this i'd urge you to look at the back catalogue first, especially as they're available for about 4. Look at the reviews of their other albums and make your own mind up.
Come back old Incubus - all is forgiven!

5.0 out of 5 stars Please ignore the BBC review! INNW? - An album of texture, subtlety and 'Feel'., 19 May 2012
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Audio CD)
Firstly, I don't often write reviews, but I have been compelled to do so by the "BBC review" on this album. I find it very frustrating that reviews such as this that are limited and flawed in both their content and their summerisation in what is clearly something that the band has worked hard on and clearly thought about. It's a real shame that some reviewers are so quick to rubbish something that doesn't fit with their expectation, as Camilla Pia has proven here, reviewers don't like to be challenged!

I am a musician and I enjoys music for what ever it brings, as long as it has been done with love and integrity. I don't base my enjoyment on how it matches up to my expectations or preconceptions.

For me it would have been a complete disapointment if incubus had come up with a clone of what they had done before, plenty of BIG bands fall into that trap, Red Hot Chilli' Peppers are one good example - having realised their sound early on, they have more of less bought it to every record. These types of albums are pleasant like eating a whippy ice cream at the sea side, tasty, works on many levels, but never something that would wow your taste buds. I think that the review at the top of the page that has pushed me to white this review of my own is very lazy journalism and from the same stable as the people who get so frightened every time Radiohead release a new album.

Please DON'T be put off this record, the sound here is of a band that much like want to evolve and push themselves. They have done plenty of angry teenage riffs, which, incidentally, I enjoy very much and they are very good at - now they are trying to conceptualise something more expansive with more texture, more feel and greater sensitivity. The album has a sonic flow and a vibe about which engulfs the listener, it gets better with every listen and works very well with the lights dimmed down low and a nice glass of wine beer or what ever you like to drink! I am a great believer in the importance of 'feel' in music and this record has it in spades, this is music to be absorbed and focused on, so take your time, relax and Enjoy Incubus...

5.0 out of 5 stars Now. Definitely, now., 27 July 2011
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Audio CD)
I have been an Incubus fan since first hearing 'Morning View', during what I would call my 'emo' phase at college. And, to borrow from the band, this was 'Just a Phase'. That album still stands as a brilliant piece of work, as do their others. Incubus are a group of creative, tight, focussed musicians who aren't afraid to be musicians; who don't need to be crowd pleasers, but have a little integrity in what they do. For me, I found 'Light Grenades' a little patchy, but perhaps because it represented something transitional. Here though, the band sound at home. They aren't the alt-rock stadium guru's of 'Privilege' or 'Megalomaniac': but then, with an average band age of 35, why should they be? What's wrong with people creating music for themselves, and for the now? Most of their fans have grown UP with them, and presumably that means they are more mature: open minded and able to accept this new found sophistication in Incubus' sound.

And sophistication is just what I find on this album. Their music - even in songs that I personally find derivative and dull like 'Blood on the Ground' and, in this case, 'Switchblade' - is always tightly focussed, purposeful and approached with a deft intelligence. This is evidenced here by the fact that they no longer feel the need to shout and crunch, or whinge about things in that 'emo' way we know (and yes, love) on ACLOTM or even on Make Yourself at points.

Einziger has studied composition and it shows. The musical influences, approaches and subtle arrangements see him take the brave step of keeping the distortion off, and the integrity on. The title song signals this sea-change, with timpani, warm vocals and a subtle build of rhythms and instruments. The presence of some keys and strings - whilst previously heard on 'Mexico', 'Here in My Room' or others - plays a much more prominent role in the tone of this album. Lead single 'Adolescents' sees the band play with time signatures and double-stops in music; whilst 'Isadore' reveals the literary side of their lyrics, and is for me a perfectly produced, clean rock song, lead by Boyd's vocals - which sound clean and warmer than ever, and Einziger's guitar work. The chord sequences which end the album in 'Tomorrow's Food', along with the choices of transitions in 'Thieves' and 'In The Company Of Wolves' demonstrates Einziger's musical growth compositionally, whilst the whole album sees Brendan O'Brien work with the band to reign everything in slightly, pushing Boyd's vocals to the fore, and underpinning them with cross-rhythms, subtle transitions, and a clean sound from all musicians, which affords this album to focus on the tone and atmosphere; whilst its complex changes, shifts and arrangements get under your skin.

If Incubus stayed the same, chucked out the same alt-rock-by-numbers, people would criticize them for not changing or maturing (see the reviews of Limp Bizkit's new album as a case in point). So, why criticize them for demonstrably producing an album which demonstrates their musicality: their ability to reign in, hunker down, and craft a beautiful, tight, stripped back and honest album, full of complexity and warm, interest and atmosphere? An album, I would suggest, that only Incubus could have written. Written for them, and for their fans, for the now: not the then. Their best in years.

4.0 out of 5 stars It all depends what you're looking for., 19 Aug 2011
Mr. S. Breese "steveb" (North West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Audio CD)
I have just been reading the comments and feel saddened with the poor reviews this album has received.
I can totally empathise with all the people who had expected an Incubus album reminiscent to what they produced in their anarchic heyday, but times change!
I have followed Incubus since `Make yourself' and although this is a far cry from that excellent CD, this is a beautiful album. People need to accept its craft and style. There are tracks on here that take your breath. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars great album, 12 July 2011
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Audio CD)
First off I am a huge incubus fan since all the way back to the fungus among us days (make yourself being my favourite album to date). For me every incubus album has sounded different always evolving and if not now when is no different. Anyone looking for the old funk/rock of science will be dissapointed, however within this album there is some incredible songwriting. Also Brandons vocals have never sounded as strong as they do here. All in all a great album by a great band.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Incubus, Again, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Audio CD)
I've been an Incubus fan since their Make Yourself era and I still regard Morning View as being the greatest album they have produced to date (all in my opinion, of course). In the past decade or so, the band have ultimately been through some changes, which have been well documented and discussed all over the internet. A Crow Left of the Murder was a step in to a slightly different direction but, it warmed on me in time. We then had a gap before the band's next album, Light Grenades, which, if I'm honest, has always left me feeling a little 'empty', even five-years on.

When I first heard 'Adolescents' off of this new album though, I got a very good feeling. It was different again yet, this time, it sounded very much like 'Incubus'. I've never understood why this band have never caught on in the UK when they've been all over the charts in the US but, with tracks like 'Promises, Promises' and other more laid-back tunes throughout this album, I feel this is the best chance they'll have at finally making an impression, over here.

It's not hard rock but, I find it very good to listen to. There are one or two tracks ('Switchblade', being one) that I'm currently unsure about but, I'll try to give them more time. Aside from the ones you may have already heard, 'In the Company of Wolves' is a real stand-out track for me. It starts off in a fairly chilled mood and, later on, melts in to something that wouldn't sound out of place on one of the Deftones' more recent albums.

So, it's not quite up there with the very best of Incubus but, I feel they're certainly back on the right track.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ALBUM!, 15 Aug 2011
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (MP3 Download)
Its A Very Different Incubus But I LOVE This Sound! Its A Lot More Grown Up And Mature.. I Get So Annoyed When People Say Their Music Has Changed And How Its Not Rock Anymore. For Me Whats Amazing About Being A Musician Is Having That Creative Freedom To Take Your Music As Far As You Want To Take It! So In That Respect If Incubus Freaking Created A Rap Album It Would Be Fine, As Its Their Own Creative Freedom. I Think Every Band Evolves And Grows Ups Through Their Own Music Anyways, If You Look At Bands Like The Arctic Monkeys And Even Linkin Park Their Music Has Matured Also. For Me If You Don't Respect That Then What Kind Of Fan Are You Really?

5.0 out of 5 stars Different sound but I love it., 21 July 2011
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Audio CD)
Hey all, wasn't sure about this album when I had my first listen as there was none of the rockier elements that I was expecting having heard it on previous albums. After a while though I accepted the fact that as a band, they are just progressing into a different (more mellow) genre. It's still Incubus and it's still awesome. Yes, it would be nice to hear a heavier tune here and there but at the same time, there is not one bad song on that album. Songs such as 'Friends and Lovers' and 'Tomorrow's Food' are some of the most dreamy and beautiful songs I've heard, yet they still manage to keep it real with an upbeat song such as 'Adolescents.' Do what I did, stick it on in the car, as you're going to sleep, having a reef etc etc.. You should hopefully warm to it with an open mind!

Peace.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as critics reviews, 19 July 2011
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Audio CD)
Ok so this isn't a classic from Incubus but it is still nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews i have read, it hasn't got that makes you go WOW but there is still some very good song writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another 'chill out' album - and it's another good one!, 12 July 2011
This review is from: If Not Now, When? (Audio CD)
I think some people have jumped the gun a bit with their criticism. Do you remember when Morning View came out and Incubus fans were a little unsure of the new 'mellow' sound? Well that turned out brilliantly, and everyone enjoyed the album. If Not Now, When? is similar in that respect, it's a much softer album that some of their previous records but it's still a fantastic album. It's ideal for listening to when you're lying in bed on a sunday morning, or on a long drive/train journey. Just do exactly what Incubus were hoping you'd do with it - enjoy it!

If Not Now, When?
If Not Now, When? by Incubus (Audio CD - 2011)