4.0 out of 5 stars What is wrong with everyone? This game is great!
Don't often write reviews, but I was surprised by how differently this game is perceived by different people.
I've played pretty much all the NFS games on various platforms. I've experienced a quite diverse level of enjoyment depending on the installment I was playing. My favourite by far remains NFS Hot pursuit on the old Gamecube. That was just superb.
So I...
Published on 20 Dec 2011 by P. Vlahodimos

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it.
I don't understand why this game is worse than NFS: Hot Pursuit. That game was a very good arcade racer. This isn't.

Published on 4 Mar 2012 by A.S. Darkly

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it., 4 Mar 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Need for Speed: The Run (PS3) (Video Game)

You feel like you're playing partly controllable cutscenes throughout the game. I know it's an arcade racer, but the handling of the cars is just horrible. Again, they got it right with Hot Pursuit so why change it for this game? It feels like one of those old handheld games where the scenery is moving, not the car. You simply move the car from side to side to avoid obstacles. It reminds me of the silly driving bits in 007: Bloodstone.

There doesn't seem to be any motivation in the game. You will win the run, unless you stop playing the game halfway through. No car is actually faster than any other. They just handle worse or better. This means there is no motivation to unlock new cars.

They tried to twist a storyline into the game. Characters etc. This is serviced with a few 'on foot' parts where you just have to press certain buttons to get away from enemies.

The Police have a confusing role in the game. On some stages they attempt to stop you with a few roadblocks and shunts but for the most part they are nowhere to be seen. Also, 'baddies' sometimes chase and shoot at you. That's about it really.

4.0 out of 5 stars What is wrong with everyone? This game is great!, 20 Dec 2011
This review is from: Need for Speed: The Run (PS3) (Video Game)
So I was curious about 'The Run'. The cops were in it, and you had a set course to run. No tuning of cars (barring the odd body kit) and no real chance to buy/upgrade you car either unless you actually unlock it first.
In fact, it felt a bit like the old Cannonball run movies......

So the game itself. It's not rocket science and it plays a lot like previous NFS games. The graphics were ok, but nothing special. Sound is good. Handling is arcadey, as you would expect. Drifting round corners is a lot easier than you think it's going to be. It's bascially not a hard game to pick up at all. The resets are not a bad idea as it means you can crash out three quarters of a way through a race, and not have to start from scratch. I admit, it's cheating a bit, but I prefer that rather than having to redo a full 10 minute race.

The cop roadblocks are fairly easy to avoid, or blast through. In fact, I found that the cops were just a nuissance,but I also never really felt like I was in any danger of being taken down. It's inevitably a bad judgement call that will send you flying off the side of the road, rather than pressure from the police. So I'm not going to say they add much to the game play. The only thing they add is traffic. When you're trying to pick a gape between two racers just in front of you, and a police car nudges you off target by an inch, it can really annoy you, but that's about it. The mob encounters are considerably trickier as they tend to shoot at you, but I won't spoil the plot (if you can call it that.....).

There are cut scenes where you're out of the car, that require a bit of button pushing at the right time, in the right sequence, but they're just an interlude to the driving. Not too hard, and not particularly interesting, but not bad either.

The cars are fantastically reproduced. They look stunning, and as you progress and get slightly faster cars unlocked, it becomes quite exciting getting behind the wheel of a supercar.

I also found the idea of driving accross the US quite good. The change of scenery is very well done. The driving conditions also change as the climate changes. It's just good old fashioned fun. There are shortcuts and jumps, hairpins etc to make you test your skills. All good.

The gas stations are indeed a bit weird. In fact they appear every now and then to allow you to change your car. They're good at the beginning of a race as you can change to a car suited to the course, but every now and then,they're right at the end of a race/course. This seems a bit weird, especially as you're often neck and neck with a rival at the end of a course, so the idea of stopping to change cars is ludicrous.

Nonetheless, this is a great game. I have also got, BF3 on my PC, Batman Arkham City and Assasins Creed revelations as my current games, either on my PC or on my PS3. I spend most of my game time (as much as my wife allows me) on BF3 on my PC as I play online with friends. Before I got NFS, I was occasionally taking breaks to play Batman. Assasins is on hold for a later date. When I got hold of NFs, I honestly couldn't stop playing. Its addictive because you can see the goal you need to achieve, and if you're competitive like me, you'll want to keep playing till you to your goal. The fact that this involves racing ludicrously fast cars around lovely rural and city settings in the US, being chased by the mob and the cops, is surely just a bonus.

I loved it. It's meant to be about having fun. This game certainly delivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic choice if you like arcade style racer, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Need for Speed: The Run (PS3) (Video Game)
Dear Fellow-Gamers, this is my first review on Amazon and it is for this particular game because I strongly feel that it is underrated. I own quite a lot of racing games on the PS3 and on other systems so I feel that I can compare it with other games from the same genre.

Graphics: In my eyes simply stunning, when you stop the car, the graphics can look a bit blocky and there is room for improovements on details such as the vegetation, but as soon as you are racing along with 200km/h (and that is what you are doing most of the time) it looks and mooves great with a very satisfying feeling for speed and draw distance.

Sound: The music is nothing special (again to my personal taste) however the engine sounds are beefy and they differ a lot from car to car. Also the engine sounds from your competition are nicely done and are true audio candy.

Gameplay: Here I have my issues with most of the critical reviews! The game is fantastic and satisfying if you like simple, fast arcade action. This game is not a super hard car simulation but rather a "Test Drive" (an accolade classic, well known to the elder gamers among you) on steroids! The game is fast paced, the story simple and the action comes immediate with the ignition of your virtual engine. The steering is perfect in my eyes for an arcade racer and the content/value for the asked for price is great. I am again and again amazed what kind of progress the game industry went through in the last 20 years, this game is a dream come true for me and reminds me of old arcade racer gems such as Out Run, Test Drive, Chase H.Q. Also the choice of cars is solid, with a nice choice of the most expensive and exclusive supercars.

Hardcore Driving Simulation fans however are likely to be disappointed with this BlueRay disc and should rather stick with Gran Turismo.

kind regards, your Retrogamer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need For Speed Newbie, 27 Jun 2012
Made in Yorkshire (Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Need for Speed: The Run (PS3) (Video Game)
I read a few online reviews that suggested this game is not that good, but I still went ahead and ordered it (I prefer to try things for myself than rely solely on reviews). Having never played any of the games in the Need For Speed series, I was quite keen to try it out as a newcomer. The graphics are fantastic, the gameplay is brilliant and it is one of those games I just cannot switch off - it really does keep you hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Need for Speed Yet, 18 Nov 2011
This review is from: Need for Speed: The Run (PS3) (Video Game)
I have know idea what game the other reviewers are playing but it can't be the run....

There are a few bad points... ie the beginning sequence makes you push a bunch of buttons to escape a car, very tedious and a video would have done. Also the crashes are good but you only ever see the damage to your own car and so no satifaction destoying a camper van on the way to their jollies... The pop ups giving you info 'ie pull into a petrol station to change your car' seem to come at the worst polissble time, the only times I seem to crash are right after those bloody pop ups which thank fully are only about once per race and will hopefully stop once I've got further (3 hours into playing). My final niggle is the story line, so you escape from a car and get spotted on the run, so surely the idea is your on the run? but wait now your racing against 200 other cars, confusing and not fitting to the title and game... Oh and the Music score is pants

HOWEVER, the gameplay, graphics, controls, cars, tracks etc are STUNNING, I own a PS3 and a 360 and can hands down say I have had more fun with this than any other racing game, PERIOD, beats GT, Forza, Dirt, F1 etc etc, the graphics are stunning, the cars are gleaming and every detail is there.... I am blown away by this game....

The whole point of a game for me is to be immersed and enjoy myself and that is what this gives, it's not like GT and F1 where you need days of playing to perfect the driving skills, this is a get it out the box and play type of game, no experience required to win first time..... Great for a Friday night when you've finsihed work and just want to kick some A$$.

And to think I got this on pre-order from Amazon for 24.99 makes me even happier (37.99 on the day of release).

Great Job, Recommend

2.0 out of 5 stars This game hates you worse than Hitler hated Jews, 4 July 2014
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Need for Speed: The Run (PS3) (Video Game)
Word of advice to developers and publishers: if you sell your game on speed, the need for it, and have the word in the title, then don't punish the player for wanting it.

Should I actually bother doing a review for this junk or should I just give you a long list of complaints? I suppose they'd be one and the same.

You play as Jack, a young troublemaker who finds himself in deep with the mob. In the opening scene you escape a car compactor and flee the gangsters who are out to kill you. Right away you are enrolled in a West-to-East coast cross-country race (sort of a reverse Turbo OutRun) for a grand prize that will settle your debts with said mobsters. That's it as far as story goes, not that it matters since some of the best racing games have virtually zero story.

It's unlikely that you'll actually enjoy this trip from the Big Orange to the Big Apple as you'll spend half the time struggling to keep your car under control. The handling on all vehicles is simply terrible and anything/everything will make you fishtail. You'll cling to every guard rail, be they concrete or steel, like magnet. If you clip another car even gently, even by the wing mirror, you'll be thrown off the road. Rival drivers are capable of impossible physics and miracles. You are not. Are you enjoying that 1-second burst of speed? Well don't, because you're getting thrown right into a right-angle turn. Do you want a level where you can enjoy going fast? Well tough, because the next one, and the one after that, is mountain-based meaning lots and lots of switchbacks, and the road is wet too so if you even think about having even the slightest control over it then you will be disappointed. Winning any race is based on chance not skill.

And there lies the worst problem of this game - if you go off the road by just a single freakin' INCH the game resets to the last check point, even if you have not past any checkpoints it will send you back to the beginning of the race and you'll still lose a reset point. When going off course, be it merely TOUCHING a grass verge or going off a cliff there is no destruction animation, the game just fades out. I swear it will make you so mad you'll chuck your controller through the TV and go out looking for a fight. Where the programmers complete idiots or cruel sadists?

There's no installation either, and you know what that means, kiddies - loooooooooong loading times. I remember when I had Turbo OutRun for my Commodore 64 way back in 1991. It was a multi-load tape and would load each level one a time. I thought this was a chore even back then. Nothing has changed in 20 years.

After playing it through to the end, because I hate myself, I only unlocked 36% of the trophies. Many of them are based on online play, which is a barren after 3 years of being released. As I have said before, online-based trophies should not count towards a Platinum.

I cannot think of any reason to recommend this garbage to you. There are so many, many good driving games out there from Burnout to Motorstorm and Ridge Racer as well as all of the retro titles such as Daytona and OutRun. This is the second time I have been disappointed by the Need for Speed franchise and I will not be returning no matter what it promises.

5.0 out of 5 stars need for speed the run, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Need for Speed: The Run (PS3) (Video Game)
thank you for the game I have enjoyed the game and I'm still playing the game so thank you again

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Need for Speed: The Run (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought this game for my boyfriend, he loves it. it was much cheaper on amazon than it was in shops like hmv and game. Very happy with the product.
The game also has a lot to do, you can't just complete it in a day which is nice as a lot of games at the moment can be completed in about 5 mins!

4.0 out of 5 stars good racing game, 18 July 2013
D. Cope (Almeria Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Need for Speed: The Run (PS3) (Video Game)
good racing game, some difficult sections especially on the icy roads,if you like racing cars this one is for you

2.0 out of 5 stars A great idea, terribly executed., 7 Aug 2012
F41 (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Need for Speed: The Run (PS3) (Video Game)
The premise of this game is brilliant - a coast to coast run against scores of high performance cars with cops to avoid on the way. Think Cannonball Run or (ignoring the game's pointless plotlines) Gumball Rally and you're not too far off. Unfortunately, the gameplay is hugely misjudged and the sense of this epic race is completely lost in the short stages, each with a set number of opponents to overtake.

The staging just kills the flow of the game and makes the whole thing dull and repetitive. Would have been much better to have a target of what your position should be at any point and a sense that you can work hard to catch up or even push yourself ahead of target if you're doing well, rather than 'Get to position XX by the end of this stage.' Add to that some pretty ropey physics (lift off the throttle and you can take most corners at whatever speed you fancy) and you have a disappointing and thoroughly unsatisfying experience.

Even the ever-changing scenery as you pass through the states doesn't really add to the game as it should. The arrival in Vegas in particular should have been something really special, but it was just a few lights, loads of cops and a really terrible button-pressing getaway scene, then back on the road for the next stage.

It's just not rewarding enough to make you want to bother getting all the way to New York. And given how good this game could have been, that's a real shame.

Need for Speed: The Run (PS3)
Need for Speed: The Run (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
10.99