on 2 July 2013
I am a great fan of Lois Bujold and have now read nearly all of her books I think. There isn't one that I thought was hard going or not worth the time. Her storytelling seems to fit precisely into my psyche and I hate it when a book is finished as that brings nearer the time when all will have been read. The four Sharing Knife books would make a grand, very thick, novel if printed as one but work comfortably on their own. After the first Bujold takes care to nod at previous, relevant history so one is never left floundering. But each ends in a satisfactory, rounding-up. Swords and Sorcery aren't my thing at all, (I hated Game of Thrones and dropped it after a couple of chapters), but the Sharing Knife and Chalion Series, although using magical ideas, are really about people and their living naturally in a society with all the problems that we have plus some others that we, luckily, don't. Their lives, actions and loves seem quite believable and generate great interest.
If you ever read these comments L McM B please, please keep on writing.
on 30 May 2011
Warning: Don't start with this book. This is the middle of the series. You'll miss the first story arc completely.

The series is best described (IMO) as a cross between the Fantasy and Romance genres. It certainly works for Fantasy fans (like me), and I'm told it also works for Romance fans.

There is one difference between the two groups. The Romance fans will probably think that the first two books (Beguilement and Legacy) together tell a complete story. The Fantasy fans will want more. Luckily there is more - another pair of books, of which this is the first, that will complete the story enough to satisfy them. It worked for me.

Highly recommended.
on 16 August 2013
Perfectly readable book in a perfectly readable series. If it wasn't Bujold I'd probably give it a 4 but she's just set the bar so high for herself.
on 24 October 2013
Most books written by Lois McMaster Bujold are a good read.

I have read three books in this series and I have enjoyed them.