5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
5 years in the making and a Fantastic return to form
All tracks are fantastic
outstanding tracks are Powerless , Why , Dancing On The Tables , Holding on to you
This album is released just as Elkie has turned 65 with 50 years in the music business
I cannot see any of todays singers achieving this and lasting as long

01. POWERLESS...
Published on 28 Feb. 2010 by D. Young

3.0 out of 5 stars Why the wait for general release
I bought the cd when I went to see her in concert 3 years ago and just wonder why the delay with this one in making it available only now to the general public. Her voice as always perfection but only 39 minutes long ? What needs to be done sooner rather than later is a DVD in concert. She did the one at Shepherds Bush in 2005 which was so bad she disassociated herself...
Published on 17 July 2012 by P. Waller

(Lee Noble)

04. DANCING ON THE TABLES

(Elkie Brooks)

05. I CAN'T MAKE YOU LOVE ME

(Mike Reid / Allen Shamblin)

06. PURPLE RAIN

(Prince)

07. HOLDING ON TO YOU

(Elkie Brooks)

08. MAKE YOU FEEL MY LOVE

(Bob Dylan)

09. SONG FOR YOU

(Leon Russell)
Go and buy the Album today - You will not be dissapointed - i can assure you .

5.0 out of 5 stars Poweless - Quite The Reverse, 7 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Powerless (MP3 Download)
Powerless, firstly the title is a total contradiction of what we're about to get! Five years in the making, and not surprised, being a long time fan and knowing the volume of material that must have been originally rehearsed, written or recorded but left out to make way for the current content, must say what a choice a good mix of soulful materials delivered by the UK's best. Lovely production superb musicianship all round totally faultless.

Reading some reviews I'm getting totally surprised that some are evaluating with slightly negative comments, due to material being left out!! So instead let's judge the album by what's been included just seems to make sense.

One thing that's more than obvious is that Elkie Brooks has total control of the content the style of production, and nice to see that her writing skills go from strength to strength which can compete with any in the world.

Tracks that are `must' have tacks are `Powerless' an incredible delivery - totally superb on all levels and not over produced, the other without a mistake is the Lee Noble track `Why' a really moving song and one which become a standard for all time, I have been fortunate enough to hear both live in concert, even better these have been skillfully transferred to a studio album not that easily as many live tracks fail to translate, but not in the case of Elkie Brooks.

Giving a fair balance, producing nine tacks to a good standard is no easy task, what's outstanding is each track is uniquely performed with the brilliance that is Elkie Brooks, so if you want to hear more material by this outstanding artist it's, all out there with more on the way - for me this will be one of my all time favorite albums, yes in spite of only nine tacks, but than again I can understand once you've sampled this lady's voice you need more. Her diversity is incredible and this album is landmark a really moving set of songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Powerless (MP3 Download)
After a 5yr wait i could not wait for Elkie new cd to arrive, and it was well worth the wait. From track 1 Powerless it did not disapoint. All the tracks are produced to a very high standard. There is a strong feeling of the saxophone on some of the tracks Purple rain sounds much better than the one Prince did. If you want to have a night in, a few glasses of wine and chill out this is the one for you. I am sure you will agree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerless - A triumph!, 15 Mar. 2010
R. Berry (Lymington, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Powerless (MP3 Download)
I am probably one of the many who remember Elkie singing " Pearls" on TOTP, but didn't get to see her live until 2007, when I was completely blown away by that voice!
And having now seen her many times on stage, with her superb band, I was curious to hear how some of this material would translate to a studio recording.
The highlights for me are the wonderful " Why " by Lee Noble, a live tour de force, which brings a tear to the eye and "Powerless" which Elkie delivers with her gutsy tones, and perfect pitching.
With Steve Jones haunting sax and Andy Murray seducing us with his mastery of the piano, the tracks come alive.
Buy this album, tell all your friends about it, and then see Elkie Brooks the road, you won't be dissapointed by either experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars The voice., 26 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Powerless (MP3 Download)
This album is SUPERB . Elkie vocals likewise. I do not understand the British music industry, they should get behind this amazingly talented singer. The radio stations me a good kick, to wake them up to to quality. "Powerless " is a stunning album, so deserves to be a big hit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elkie Brooks - Powerless, 27 Feb. 2010
S. JOHNSTONE (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Pearls/Two Days AwaySunshine After The Rain: The CollectionElectric Lady

As a life long elkie fan my expectations of this CD were hudge. I have bought everything she has ever released and seen her live every tour since 1978. With packaging that is similar to "Two Days Away" a life changing recording for me at the time, which introduced me to so many styles of music and artists, I thought that this release would be the same as you are celebrating 50 years in the business. Great packaging but sadly "Powerless" has failed to tick all the boxes and meet my expectations. The strongest tracks are "Powerless"(Don Black) which is wonderful, "Why" (superb), "I Can't Make You Love Me", "Make You Feel My Love" (the latter written by Bob Dylan recorded by Adele) given the Elkie treatment and superb. "A Song For You" was the highlight of the album for me after "Why & "Powerless"! Just a superb version recently recorded disco style by Whitney Houston. But I really wanted to hear another track, something upbeat, perhaps a Motown cover "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", "AS" something to finish it off. Then I may have be satisfied. But Nine tracks was a bit lacking I am afraid. That said, Elkie has THE MOST AMAZING voice and really is so under rated as a singer and performer. The CD is certainly a MUST HAVE for fans, I love it and love the power, range and sound of her voice but if you are just getting into Elk's work, I recommend "Electric Lady", the new compilation (out on March 1st) which features some unreleased 60's songs or "Two Days Away" if you can get hold of it which really is a classic album! Sorry Elkie, it really upsets me to say this, but "Powerless" will not be the hit for you that I so wanted it to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever, 3 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Powerless (MP3 Download)
Truly the best song I have heard in a very long time!Just goes to show how talented this lady is!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Elkie The Voice, 17 July 2012
This review is from: POWERLESS (Audio CD)
Just love Elkie and her wonderful voice. I agree with many people on here saying it is one of her
best albums. Her voice has never sounded better! Simply stunning version of 'A Song For You'!

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to the classic Elkie sound, 13 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Powerless (MP3 Download)
This is the the album I wished Elkie Brooks had made in 2005, instead of the uneven "Electric Lady." This disc, "Powerless," features cover art that recalls 1977's "Two Days Away." Musically, the album also suggests that classic disc, with Elkie's soulful, bluesy vocals placed in a setting that is lush and accessible. The song selection is outstanding: The title tune is an emotional knockout, as is the aching "Why." The more familiar songs are great, too, as she handles "A Song For You," "Make You Feel My Love" and a daring version of "Purple Rain" that she claims as her own. If anything, her voice sounds more potent and forceful than she did 20 years ago. She is living proof that it is possible to get better with age.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one and only., 15 Dec. 2013
This review is from: POWERLESS (Audio CD)
As superb an album as I would expect from such a performer. Elkie never wastes time on rubbish music or lyrics, she demands and gets the best from musicians who are second to none. The combination of their expertise and the always lovely lyrics tear at the emotions leaving her audience sometimes silent before applause.........a great compliment for any performer. Her ability to make me cry is a result of the sheer honesty and understanding of the depth , happiness and trembling edge of misery that real love brings. She is amazing, 68 years old, and brings to her performance not only a magical professionalism but a lifetime's experience and it shows.
In this album I think her "I can't make you love me" is one of the most heart rendingly perfect songs ever and the album is worth possessing for that alone.
More please Ms Brooks for you never fail to please. Thankyou.
There

POWERLESS
POWERLESS by Elkie Brooks (Audio CD - 2012)
Click for more info