on 3 January 2013
If you are looking for something light and fun to read on holiday (or even wishing you were on holiday!) this seaside based version of Pride and Prejudice is perfect - I laughed all the way through!

The Pride and Prejudice story takes place today in a summer week in a small English seaside town, Salcombe - a real place apparently - full of yachts and smart restaurants where the wealthy Brits take their family holidays - just as in Jane Austen's time they holidayed in Bath. And just like Jane Austen it is full of witty irony.

Those who see Jane Austen (and themselves) as "serious" will probably hate it, and you may not get all the English references (unless you are English of course) - but if you have a sense of humor and you appreciate an eccentric English tale do read it!
on 7 July 2012
I really enjoyed reading this, but only when I forgot it was supposed to be a modern version of Pride and Prejudice. I thought it wasnt very like the original book, and that was what I was looking for. But I did manage to get into the book a little more, when I stopped thinking about how it should resemble Pride and Prejudice. I got a few laughs out, and by the end found the book more fun to read.
on 2 January 2013
I personally loved this book. The plot stays faithful to the original novel, but has some really funny and often clever modern interpretations and twists as well. It is intended to be a light-hearted read, but definitely has enough substance to be engaging and absorbing. To the people who dislike this book, my only reaction is that you don't understand the tongue-in-cheek humour, and the small humorous details that the author has included. I would honestly recommend this book to anyone,even to somebody who was not a huge fan of Austen's Pride and Prejudice, as it is simply an amusing, witty read that made me laugh out loud on numerous occasions!
on 2 January 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - really recommend it! Such good fun for any Jane Austen lover with an appetite for some seaside frolicking! The prose flows really easily and it would make a particularly enjoyable read on a seaside holiday: nothing like a bit of light-hearted escapism. Overall, a great read!
on 12 January 2013
A very lighthearted and frivolous modern version of Pride and Prejudice. Really enjoyed reading it and made me laugh in places. Not to be taken seriously but is still very good fun to read. If you want something lighthearted for a quick and enjoyable read then this is the book for you. I have no doubt serious die-hard Jane Austen fans will cringe when reading this book but don't let that put you off reading it. I certainly enjoyed it and would recommend it.
on 30 December 2012
Wonderful enjoyable book. I chose this rating because it's an old story with an modern twist. Recommend this book to all you romantic out there.
on 5 July 2015
it was readable but was not the greatest book i've read. the idea behind the story was very good (setting in modern day beach town) but the writer didn't completely pull it off. set in modern day beach time (which you know from repeated mentions of the clothes they are wearing from fatface, whitestuff etc) but the characters still use their old style mannerisms and speech. this is where the book lets itself down, as the author didn't really meld the modern with the old very well. old style speech and then calling the females hottie totties or saying whateva for example, just doesn't work well in my opinion. it just felt like modern terms were just chucked in on occasion.
certainly worth a read but wont be a permanent resident on my bookshelf
on 27 January 2014
Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book of all time so natually i read the modern adaptions and hope for the same magic the original brought. In the case of this book it did not, as others have said it's a mismatch of trying to be modern but using the old ideology which Austen herself worked with. I expected the book to have the same story line as P&P as it is an adaption but i didn't expect it to annoy me as much as it did. The book takes Austens masterpeice and uses it as a template adding in bits of modern slang in the characters speech which does not fit at all.

Yet i can not bring myself to give it one star as it is ultimatly the story i love so much.
on 7 August 2011
I absolutely loved this book. Has also inspired me to re read Jane Austen and to visit Salcombe! My daughters have read it and loved it, my sister in law has read it and loved it and my ex mother in law has read it and loved it. Can't wait for some more.
on 12 March 2014
If you want something very funny pretty entertaining, this is for you. Don't expect a serioud modernisation of P and P, this totally silly!