5.0 out of 5 stars 'Undeniable' Perfection

Published on 10 Aug 2011 by Know Your Vole

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Undeniable' Perfection, 20 Jun 2011
Becki (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Together We Were Made (Audio CD)
After over three years of waiting, The Feeling are finally back with their new album. As a huge fan of the group, I was looking forward to this third album with great anticipation. I was also slightly nervous, worried that their sound might have changed and moved in a new direction, away from why I fell in love with them in the first place. On hearing the album, I've found these doubts to be completely unfounded.

It's true that they have experimented with their style, but the result is not a complete turn-about. Every song is still recognisably The Feeling, with their instantly catchy melodies and vocal harmonies. 'Set My World On Fire', and 'A Hundred Sinners' give the fans more of The Feeling's traditional style that they know and love, while other songs contain more rock or dance influences, such as the incredible 'Another Soldier'. Another stand out track is 'Say No', which occupies the same spot as 'Rose' does on 'Twelve Stops And Home' and works in a similar way. Just beautiful.

I don't know all the technical terminology, but the whole album has been mixed in such a way that it sounds like you're hearing it live, which I absolutely love. The times I've seen them live have been some of the most fantastic experiences of my life, and to have those experiences recreated on this album is really special to hear.

I also encourage anyone considering buying it to get the deluxe edition: it is well worth the few extra pounds it costs as there are some seriously fantastic tracks on there, and you're literally getting two albums in one.

Dare I say it? Possibly their best overall album to date. Though the wait was long, perfection really was worth waiting for.

4.0 out of 5 stars This album is a definite grower, 30 Jun 2011
This review is from: Together We Were Made (Audio CD)
I was a little late getting into The Feeling, having grown tired of stuff I'd heard before years ago by better exponents of the craft. I saw The Feeling live in Hyde Park about a year after "Twelve Stops and Home" came out and was blown away by them.

I loved that first album...and was so so disappointed with their second "Join with Us" which I think is as dire as the first album was brilliant.

I was unsure even whether I wanted to buy this album. Like others I have been slightly underwhelmed by the first release from the album "Set My World on Fire" because it didn't really. But I thought I'd give the album a chance...and am so glad I did.

First of all ignore all the naysayers who denounce the extended version (a double album) and buy it instead. You'll be rewarded for your efforts. If you are expecting "Twelve stops and Home" you may be slightly disappointed as there are no obvious singles on the album - but there are an abundance of fine songs that you'll enjoy and seem to get better with each hearing. This is a definite grower of an album and could well go down as the finest (I certainly think it is to date).

My advice. Don't be swayed by what others say - be it good or bad. Instead take a punt on the double album and be pleasantly surprised....

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves better recognition ! Deluxe edition...great album, great value !, 27 Jun 2011
Mr. R. Haden "hdrob9" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Together We Were Made (Audio CD)
No.22, in the album charts...deserves to be in the top 5, at least ! Just shows how fickle music fans are !
I don't think The Feeling will ever top " Twelve Stops & Home " and that may be where their problems lye ? Saying that, this is another great album & the deluxe edition is great value and well worth purchasing.
The first three tracks are a little on the repetitive side and less melodic ( in my opinion ) but still enjoyable. For me, this album really kicks in from track 4, " Leave Me Out Of it "...from then on it's " hooks " all the way ! After a few listens, i guarantee you'll be singing and humming along !
The second cd is good value, for the few extra pounds, and as some very good songs on it. ( particuarly, " Virtual Art " ) which i think should have been on the first cd. All in all, well worth the money...it's just a shame that the British public have to go along with " the latest fad ", rather than support genuine talent !

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistency Scuppers Musical Progress, 10 Aug 2011
This review is from: Together We Were Made (Audio CD)
This was the album that should have seen The Feeling take on the world - a progression into guitar dominated melodic hard pop that could have gained them even more fans. However,"Together We Were Made" is inconsistent, and to be brutally honest a bit of a let down, which the band may have difficulty recovering from. The poor chart position of the album and the non-existent chart position of the single "Set My World On Fire" reflects the last statement.

Don't get me wrong there are some great songs on this cd "Leave Me Out Of It" with Sophie Ellis Bexter is a gorgeous song performed with a high level of emotion; "A Hundred Sinners" sounds like a Kinks or Blur "hit" song both lyrically and musically,a very powerful feel good song ! "Virtually Art" (a Betty Boo collaboration, yes that 'Betty Boo')is a quirky,clever song that should not have been relegated to the bonus disc.Any of these 3 songs should have been released as the first single rather than "Set My World On Fire" which has the same melodic hookline as a sweet advert (Haribo I think) which, for me, grates a little.

I have played both discs on a number of occasions, but a lot of the tracks merge into one with no distinction in style, production or melody. Another factor is the production which sounds a bit thin when compared to their previous cd "Join With Us".

The Feeling are a fantastic live act,excellent musicians and have given us some brilliant pop/rock songs but "Together We Were Made" should have been,er,made so much better.....I really hope they recover.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Together We Were Made (Audio CD)
Well worth the wait for the release of this new album.
A must have for all fans of The Feeling.
Made even more special with the bonus film content & guest singers on three tracks.
My neighbours will know every song off by heart as i've listened to it so many times. One word to sum it up, SUPERB.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Feeling - Together We Were Made, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: Together We Were Made (Audio CD)
I have always been a huge fan of The Feeling, ever since their debut album. I got Twelve Stops and Home as a gift from a friend and I remember the first listen of the album being astonishing. For a while it was the only album I listened to. Their second album, Join With Us, didn't disappoint me but perhaps was not as refreshing to hear as the first one had been. Now the third album arrives. There was a time when album number 3 used to be an important test for any artist, the one where you truly had to show what you were made of.

Unfortunately, this album doesn't seem to have made a big impression on the charts. In most countries, it hasn't even got a physical CD release. It seems likely that this talented band has been losing popularity and, seeing how the taste of the public seems to constantly shift from one type of music to another, this is not surprising. However, I think everyone who has enjoyed The Feeling's old music and likes good, well-crafted pop music should give this album a try.

The first single, Set My World On Fire didn't make much of an impression on me on first listen but after a while I started to appreciate the electronic beats and its simple but heartfelt lyrics. It's not Sewn but it's still a good song in my opinion.

The two duets with Roisin Murphy and Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Dance For The Lights and Leave Me Out Of It, are both excellent tracks that stand among my favourite. The first one sounds retro and dancey while the second one is a ballad that starts slow and then builds up. Both songs could be hits in my opinion.

Among the other songs in my first disc, I would recommend Another Soldier, which doesn't seem to be very popular but doesn't sound like anything the band has done before; Mr Grin, which is reminiscent of the happy-go-lucky songs on their debut album, but more aggressive and Back Where I Came From, which is a great ballad. Love And Care is another song that didn't get many positive reviews, but it struck me ever since the first listen. The structure of the song, the backing vocals and all is just incredible.

On the second disc, there is more variety between the songs. I wouldn't say that there are fillers but my favourite are: Virtually Art, which is a bit similar Dance For The Lights but with quirky lyrics and a funny rap from Betty Boo; Still You Want More, which reminds me of Kettle's On on their first album but mixes electronics with a rocky sound; 1991, a very original song which mixes personal memories with historical events; Dia De Los Muertos, which too has some interesting lyrics and a strange beat and the ballad Angel Face, which closes the album in a low-key but moving way.

Adding to the music, the package of the double album edition is also very nice. The Amazon price is a good deal, so I would suggest to get this album before it becomes hard to find. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Great Album Get It!!, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Together We Were Made (Audio CD)
Buy this album!! The Feeling are a great band and an fabulous live act (ive seen them over six times now and at manchester this week they were amazing!!!). the deluxe album is definately worth the money if you have just brought the single album you are missing out on soooo much!!!!!!! some tracks on there are so good i cant believe they havnt been put out as singles!! Absolutely Fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Two portions of pop perfection, 24 Aug 2011
This review is from: Together We Were Made (Audio CD)
Not everyone likes The Feeling. Personally I have really enjoyed their previous two releases and was keen to hear what they had spent nearly 3 years coming up with. And I wasn't at all disappointed - both of the discs in this special edition have some amazing pop songs on, and there isn't really a song I dislike. For whatever reason The Feeling's 'sound' isn't fashionable at the moment, but I would urge you to try this album out and give it a few listens before you pass judgement. The melodies are catchy, the lyrics have a habit of getting cemented into your brain, and after having listened almost constantly to this album for weeks now there isn't a song that I skip though when it comes up on my iPod.

Disc one (the main album) is much more electronic that much of their previous music and they are venturing into new teritory with collaborations aplenty. Disc 2 is much more of a traditional approach with more guitar based music. Different but equally brilliant.

Anyway, I'd really recommend this album and also catching The Feeling in concert if they are round your neck of the woods as they are really good live!

3.0 out of 5 stars Feeling fan, 18 July 2011
A. G. Hulme-Gaunt "Music Man" (Cornwall England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Together We Were Made (Audio CD)
Ok album but not up to the same standard as 12 stops from home or join with us, the tunes are not as catchy and some rather poor. I think they have lost there way with this one

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Together We Were Made (Audio CD)
Their first album was awesome, the second was good and this I'm afraid is passable. Slightly disappointed, since I was looking forward to it for a long time, what with them being so slow to produce new material! Maybe album 4 will return to winning ways.

Together We Were Made
Together We Were Made by The Feeling (Audio CD - 2011)