on 22 June 2011
The book is quite short and easy to read but gets right into the important stuff like using the command line, setting up users and permissions, installing software, editing config files and setting up various types of servers. By the time I started reading this book I'd already spent a couple of months dabbling with Ubuntu's GUI desktop and got a web server up and running in order to teach myself PHP/MySql. However, going back and learning what the commands I'd been typing actually meant (as opposed to just copying them from websites and youtube vids) and how the operating system I was using actually worked was really valuable. There are lots of books out there for those wanting to get started with linux but many are either too complicated from the outset or drip feed you information so slowly they get very boring very quickly. This little guide, however, is very well balanced taking you straight to the important topics and covering them in just enough detail to get you up and running. If you're looking for very detailed guides and in-depth configuration information then look elsewhere, likewise if you're a complete computer novice this probably isn't the book for you but if you know a fair amount about computers (probably from a windows background) and you want to get up and running with Ubuntu in no time then this is definitely a great little book to get you started. Oh and you can't argue with the price!
Ubuntu linux desk-top is a very competent operating system to rival Windows 7, with the big advantage that it is free, as is the Office suite, LibreOffice, which is as good as MS Office and hundreds of other free programs; it also doesn't need antivirus. Unlike France, where Ubuntu is very common, and used by government departments, it is seen as something "geeky" in the UK.
This is an excellent e-book, it is written around Ubuntu version 11.04, we currently have version 11.10, but the information is still relevant. The latest versions of Ubuntu desk-top are fully featured, they just work and you need very little technical knowledge to use them, however some knowledge is useful. Like Mac OSX Ubuntu is based on Unix and the book explains the command line and how to use it to perform various tasks, this does at first seem daunting if you come from the MS Windows world, but it is explained well and you can "dip" in and find what you need.
Ubuntu can be used on a server and there are several chapters on that; I use it on various laptops and that is well covered, it lists the 7 best applications to install, how to create a bootable USB drive, gaming, running Windows software, ebooks, converting audio and video and configuring the Unity user interface.
Ubuntu comes with the Ubuntu Software Centre where software can be found and downloaded very easily; the book tends to use the command line in preference to the Software Centre. One of the problems in Ubuntu is playing MP3s and DVDs as due to copyright restrictions the codecs aren't included, you need to install the ubuntu-restricted-extras, the book tells you how to do this from the command line, however it doesn't tell you to install the libdvdcss2 library for playing commercial DVDs, if you install the ubuntu-restricted-extras from the Software Store it does tell you to do that.
There are laptops and PCs we have which can be given a new life with Ubuntu and this book is a great way of doing it at a bargain price. For most uses you won't miss Windows.
on 23 June 2011
This is brilliant for someone just beginning to work with the command line. It sets out step-by-step instructions to do many of the day to day tasks a Ubuntu user will need. It's very clear and simple, but not patronising and it doesn't cut corners. In addition, it is insanely cheap. It's handy to have it on the Kindle - netbook in one hand, kindle in the other, and I can learn anywhere. I'd be delighted if this author wrote another one for intermediate users.
on 16 June 2015
Having installed Ubuntu on a single machine for my own use, I wanted a book that would guide me through the basics. Essentially a hand holding for the first few weeks. This is not that book. It immediately goes into command line usage, when modern Ubuntu is so much more. It taught me to set up groups of people on the machine as well as how to set it up as a server. I didn't want any of that. I simply wanted a simple intro, that guided me through an unfamiliar territory. If you've already done that, then maybe this might help. Otherwise, find something more suitable, like I will have to.
on 16 March 2013
I'm a long term IT guy - started back with Windows 3!! Never been in to UNIX based systems so had sidestepped Linux too. But these days more and more companies want the skills so I bit the bullet. This book was a god send!! Clearly written and easy to read it walks you through GUI and command line for all major tasks. I had Ubuntu desktops and servers running in minutes!!

If you are new to Linux this book will help you, and even more so if you have chose Ubuntu
on 14 February 2014
An easy to read and understand beginners guide to using the command line in Ubuntu. Can be a bit repetitive at times as the author uses the same text to describe installation of all the various applications he covers. However I learnt quite a few new things and I would describe myself as having some command line experience already, although something of a newbie.
on 20 April 2014
The first part of this book is largely a copy a paste ofThe Linux Command Line Beginner's Guide (Computer Beginner's Guides). Don't buy both. However his writing style is good and it gives me confidence to enter the dark world of line command.
on 25 December 2013
This is a very good book, very informative and has one very good feature - it is easy to read, well laid out and free of overpowering "jargon" common in this type of book, a pleasure to own.
on 11 March 2012
Although it is a short book however it gives you enough commands and information to try/test Ubuntu distribution. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking a starting point in Linux world.
on 24 June 2014
I've not even had a chance to look at this yet. I bought it as I am fed up with Microsoft keep changing their operating system. So I decided to give Linux a go.