5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Understandable
Published on 19 Nov 2011 by Ian

2.0 out of 5 stars American "Football for Dummies" is not for dummies.
Published 4 months ago by Maurice Fitzgerald

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Understandable, 19 Nov 2011
Ian (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Football For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book in order to improve my knowledge in NFL. I know a fair amount of the basics but while watching the games on TV some of the stuff I didn't understand. After buying this book I can either use it as a reference if I hear something I don't understand or if I have already read that part I understand it. Also this book explains specific game plays that are used and I found knowing some of these helped me enjoy the games more by reconizing some plays and understanding them.

The book is written clearly and is easy to follow and read. A must to improve one's knowledge in the game and also good for somebody who knows nothing about NFL but wishes to learn about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfekt! My Book came 4 dayes after I order ..., 14 July 2014
This review is from: Football For Dummies (Paperback)
Perfekt ! My Book came 4 dayes after I order It :0)

2.0 out of 5 stars American "Football for Dummies" is not for dummies., 9 May 2014
This review is from: Football For Dummies (Paperback)
The book on American football is very badly written and jumps all over the place. It is the worst book I have read yet in the series "FOR DUMMIES". In my view: it has not been proof read and that is backed up by missing words, syntax problems, or grammatical issues that make read it inscrutable and subject to very difficult interpretation in a lot of areas. There is no logical sequence to the book and it assumes, (probably in inadvertently because the authors are experts), that there is a degree of knowledge before reading the book. Again, not for dummies or novices.

Short sentences or stand alone sentences are not explained even though they make sweeping statements and just left there hanging, in my opinion. Certain diagrams showing refereeing positions are obviously inaccurate and will cause confusion, when read against the accompanying caption.(Fists closed in the diagram when the caption says 'open') The book is littered with chalk board diagrams, that come very early on in the book. This will have many readers dropping the book the very minute they see the numerous diagrams. The authors have done more to explain how the game operates at the highest level, instead of given a summary to a novice reader of how it is played in summary, before advanced stuff is entered into. Perhaps, the authors were trying to protect their expert reputation of how much they knew, rather than having more consideration for the reader? This book from a novice point of view could only be read extremely slowly, to avoid information overload or fragmented explanations.

The book is in my opinion is not "FOR DUMMIES" or novices. It is more likely to give you a blinding head ache than anything thing else. The authors who wrote the book may know about football, but they are seriously lacking on writing books about it. If you want a blinding head ache, then this is the book to read or attempt to do so. This book published by Wiley needs immediate proof reading, revision, and editing to say the least. I am giving it two stars because I don't like the word "hate". But it only deserves one or none at all from a reader point of view starting off to learn the game of American football. A word to the authors—keep the day job guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for dummies, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Football For Dummies (Paperback)
An absolute must for anyone who watches grid iron. Really goes into some depth in terms of tacics as well as giving a laymans approach to the basics and the jargon.

5.0 out of 5 stars ideal, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Football For Dummies (Paperback)
Since giving this book to my American football mad son he has not put it down...despite telling me he knew everything about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Football For Dummies (Paperback)
Excellent buy. This book is exactly what you need to learn or brush up on anything to do with the NFL and would highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: Football For Dummies (Paperback)
Bought this after a recent visit to the states during which we went to see lots of sports. Wanted something to help me out while I'm watching football games, and this turned out to be great. Logically laid out and helpful for total begginers as well as those with a bit more knowledge. I keep coming back to this book again and again. Great investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars American Football book, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: Football For Dummies (Paperback)
A brilliantly written book. Covers everything from basics right up to us hardcore fans. Easy to read and possible to pick it up and put it down. Can just delve in rather than having to read cover to cover. Marvellous.

Football For Dummies