5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness breeds happiness as well as success
Published on 29 April 2011 by T. M. Lakewood

2.0 out of 5 stars Try it for yourself
This is a difficult book to review objectively - like alot of self help books, whether or not the reader will find it helpful is completely subjective.

Published on 31 Dec 2011 by LC

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness breeds happiness as well as success, 29 April 2011
This review is from: The 18 Rules of Happiness: How to Be Happy (Kindle Edition)
This isn't your typical cheap eBook. The book is professionally formatted and runs more than 100 pages. It provides you a systematic approach to achieving and maintaining real happiness. First, the author pulls you out of your currrent state and sort of shakes you up a bit. This is important, if you're like me you whine when you are down and it's time to lose that attitude as well as some other habits. Only then have you "cleaned closet" well enough to be happy, truly happy. I appreciated the author of The 18 Rules of Happiness guides us from one step to the next. These are more 18 steps in an overall technique and plan than rules. And that is good! He walks us by the hand through the journey of happiness. Before you finish you will be not only happier internally but you will be affecting others the same way. You will be more social and interacting with others and you will spread your happiness around - and that is the real reason to get happy - to spread it around. This is an excellent publication.

2.0 out of 5 stars Try it for yourself, 31 Dec 2011
LC (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews

As obectively as I can be - this ebook is formatted well and was very easy to read. I read it cover to cover in about an hour and 1/2 so if you want either a "quick read" rather than anything too deep and meaningful, this one is good. If you have read quite alot on the subject already, this book may also be useful to act as a reminder of some of the basic principles of finding happiness. Each of the 18 rules are discussed in individual chapters making it easy to refer back to paricular points at a later date if you want to.

The down side is that each subject is not discussed in any detail and whilst the author does give suggestions on things you can actually do to find happiness - go out with friends more often, take up a new hobby etc.. the book doesn't acknowledge such changes are not always that easy to do. The author also fails to discuss the changes in perception the reader needs to make both of self and the world around them in order to put each rule into practice in the first place. He does say throughout the book that we need to change how we think about things but does not discuss "how" to change our thinking

In summary, this book gives the reader advice on practical changes he/she can make in their lives to help find happiness rather than focussing solely on changing thinking, perceptions etc.... Personally, I did not find it helpful as it only covered the practical changes you can make and did not really cover the psychological. However, if you have read books about "positive thinking" and want something to help put that into practice, this book has some good ideas. If you need help with how to change your thinking in the first place, this book may not be much help as it only acknowledges you need to but doesn't give any help on how .

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness I got!, 1 Feb 2012
Was feeling so low . Had downloaded 18 Rules of Happiness a couple of days previous without looking at it. So I decided to read it. After reading the first page I was giggling so much - there was my answer in black and white. Havent stopped laughing since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reminders! A Must Read for Everyone., 13 July 2013
Susan J. Smith (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
As a Psychotherapist and author of my own self-help, self-development book/ebook Emotional Health for Emotional WealthI thought this book about happiness was a great, quick read and very accurate.
Rule 1 - stop self pity (great advice as long as you are not actually depressed so check with [...] first)
Rule 2 - gratitude - yes 100% see also The Magic
Rule 3 - say yes more - I agree as long as it is in balance and you are not being bullied (see How Not To Be A Doormat (Little Book Series of Emotional Health for Emotional Wealth)
Rule 4 - bliss - everyone deserves this
Rule 5 - let go - so easy to say, harder to do so read carefully
Rule 6 - acts of kindness - do without expecting anything in return - smiling is free and an act of kindness
Rule 7 - yes, live in the moment
Rule 8 - go for it!
Rule 9 - yes, in order to feel happy you do need to let yourself feel sadness (also read Loss is Part of Life (Little Book Series of Emotional Health For Emotional Wealth)
Rule 10 - friendship does promote health and happiness so see what is recommended in this book
Rule 11 - be more loving is always good for people
Rule 12 - dream and have hope - remember to always write down what you want
Rule 13 - like does attract like see the work of Lousie Hay and Rhonda Byrne The Secret
Rule 14 - enjoy simple things
Rule 15 - acceptance is vital just not always easy
Rule 16 - eat well and exercise - absolutely
Rule 17 - what really matters to you?
Rule 18 - dance for life!

I would love to see everyone in the world live by these 'rules'. There is actually no reason why we cannot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price I paid., 20 Jan 2012
Alex Lay "Alex" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
I got this on the Kindle last night for 49p.
As someone who is going through a tough time, I was looking for some inspiration.
I'm not at all new to self-help style books, so I've heard a lot of 'it' before.

You'll either think this book is good, or crap.
The 18 rules aren't anything new.
You could probably get similar advice online for free.
However, for the price, I think this is definitely worth getting.

Karl (the author) has put together a short book, but it works well that way.
I've so far read the first 9 'rules', and they are good reminders that everyone should remember.

At the end of the day though, it's up to you if you choose to be happy.
This book will give you some good advice, but YOU have to take the action.

I'll give you one rule here:

'Stop thinking like a victim'.

This is powerful when you really decide to practice it.
A book worth reading and re-reading regularly when you're off track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet effective happiness!, 18 Dec 2011
Many self help book authors seem to like the sound of their own voice so it was refreshing to read a well written, yet concise, book giving clear and sound ideas and methods of how to be happy. According to the author there are just 18 simple steps towards happiness from the most simple and straight forward to the less obvious and to be honest simply reading about them gives the reader a more optimistic approach to life. Happiness is within everyone's reach no matter their circumstances and the most important lesson this book gives us is to stop feeling sorry for yourself if life isn't going as you planned. I love the way the book is written in a friendly and straightforward manner with realistic scenarios which each of us faces daily in our lives and I hope to put some of these ideas into my own life and my way of thinking in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not for me!, 15 Jun 2011
mollyeyre (Leicestershire UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this on the strength of the reviews I read - I started to have doubts when I read the very first sentence ..... 'EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US SPENDS 24 HOURS A DAY IN SEARCH OF HAPPINESS' what utter nonsense .... nevertheless I continued, only to be told that 'we all feel sorry for ourselves every single day'.

I hate to be part of a generalisation, and when the comments made are as inane as these I really wonder where such glowing reviews come from.

I had to give up on the book - as rather than pointing me into the pursuit of happiness - it was driving me towards the path of irritability.

I did notice that some of the 'helpful hints' at the front were : keep a copy in your restroom, give copies to friends ..... etc.

I think the author is a guy with a hell of a big ego. This one isn't for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars short and sweet, 4 Mar 2012
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
18 fairly simple and quick rules to personal happiness and fulfilment. They seem quite effective and easily digestible. I will return to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book made me happpy, 27 April 2011
Karl Moore is a great writer, this is the 2nd of his books I have read and I'm certainly looking forward to more! I usually hate 'Self help' kind of booksas they are often cliché and take advantage of your willingness to find happiness but this one really had showed me the 'Rules of Happiness' in such a simple way. I found it inspirational and feel like a generally more positive outlook on life. Priceless Book.

4.0 out of 5 stars 18 Rules of Happiness, 8 Jan 2012
Most valid review of this book is I feel - 49p - if you don't appreciate or enjoy! bad luck. If you gain assistance and the humour you find relaxing! great. This all relative to our concerns about 49p - 1/13 cost of a gallon of petrol.