5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the first 11 tracks
I was very excited to recieve my copy of the new Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. Hans Zimmer's work is always a pleasure to listen to This album uses musical themes from the previous films, while modifying and expanding on them. The addition of Rodrigo Y Gabriela's INCREDIBLE guitar playing skills really adds a new dimension to the already excellent music.
My...
Published on 17 May 2011 by Rocksteady

3.0 out of 5 stars Can you really call this a "soundtrack"?
First of all I want to say, that I am a huge Hans Zimmer fan for several years now. Especially the soundtrack for the last Pirates of the Caribbean film "At Worlds End" is still one of my favourite soundtracks of all time!
Therefore I was really excited about this new musical pirates-chapter.

Looking at it now, I am not sure about being disappointed or...
Published on 13 Jun 2011 by elbenblatt

3.0 out of 5 stars Can you really call this a "soundtrack"?, 13 Jun 2011
Therefore I was really excited about this new musical pirates-chapter.

Looking at it now, I am not sure about being disappointed or not.

The Music is great as always, Zimmer manages it to develop the themes in a nice way and into new directions. Especially the collaboration with guitar duo Rodriguez y Gabriela produced some of the best tracks in the PotC history.
Sadly you're not hearing much of this new development in the actual film.
Except of "Palm Tree Escape" and "Angelica" all of the other guitar-tracks are for some strange reason not included in the finished film! Even the titles don't make any sense looking at the films context. "The Pirate That Should Not Be", "South of Heaven's Chanting Mermaids" and "Angry and Dead Again" are brilliant tracks, but their titles do not fit at all in the films storyline!
Having this in mind, the tracks on the CD that are from the actual soundtrack of the film are reduced to 8! (or in other words 29 minutes!!!)
And that is the big disappointment of this soundtrack. Who wants to listen to the 7(!) Remixes that are put on the CD? I didn't. If you buy a soundtrack you expect to hear music from a film and not remixes and not used tracks!
So even though the CD is enjoyable to listen to (except the Tracks 12 to 18) and includes some really fantastic musical pieces, it fails completely in providing the Score of "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides".
If you are a Hans Zimmer fan, buy it, it's worth it, if you're looking for the music of the film, save your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the first 11 tracks, 17 May 2011
Rocksteady (Windsor, England.) - See all my reviews
My one grievance with this album is that you get 11 tracks of film score, and 7 techno/electronica remixes. This may be a bonus to some people, but a marked downside for others. They have a similar feel to the 'He's a Pirate' (Tiesto remix) included with the Dead Man's Chest soundtrack. I'm sure some poeple will love these tracks, but I would have rather had 18 tracks of film score, than 11 tracks and a bunch of remixes that I will not listen to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, and then you get to track 12......., 17 May 2011
Overall the score is fantastic, retaining the feel of the previous films yet with a brilliant new aspect brought to it. However it is a little disappointing that only part of the CD is true film soundtrack; the rest being remixes which are admirable but definitely not for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rodrigo y Gabriela AND Eric Whitacre....oh, and Mr Zimmers + team!, 17 May 2011
Really good. Great guitar playing and constructive vocals from the amazing Mr Whitacre. If the film is as good as the soundtrack I might actually end up watching it! Very well produced and as exciting as ever. Oscar worthy and still very interesting even for a 4th films OST.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting new direction..., 19 May 2011
On Stranger Tides had a lot to live up to after the At World's End soundtrack, which I think was definately and still is the best of the four scores. However this soundtrack, like the movie is unique in its own right, embracing the exotic feel of the movie, provided by the great guitar work of Roderigo y Gabriela. There are several stand out tracks notably Angelica and Blackbeard which play perfectly to the characters on screen. Mermaids and Angry and Dead Again are the long tracks on the album (8 minutes), and are the most epic of the soundtrack with several levels and phrases emphasising the onscreen action, with an interesting choiral. There are mixed versions of the 'He's a Pirate' tune throughout, redone with the guitar, slower and faster at some points.
The score portion of the soundtrack is only about 40 minutes long, and I know there was a lot of the score missed out on the album having seen the movie and recognising a lot of music not on the soundtrack, but equally some of the tracks (Angelica) have been made longer. The remixes aren't for everyone and medioka, but are quite long.
Overall a great album to set Pirates 4 aside from the previous trilogy, setting sail in a new direction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great guitar work, dreadful remixes, 23 Jan 2012
R. Barendregt (the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Typical Hans Zimmer music for this 4th Pirates sequel, but for me the excellent guitar solos by Rodrigo Sanchez and Gabriela Quintero give this CD a special flavour.
However, the awful remixes of the songs by some obscure dj's I could gladly have done without.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stranger Than I Wanted, 23 Sep 2011
ESP (Dudley, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I fully agree with any reviewers who have been left disappointed by the tracks 12-18 - what a waste of space! The inclusion of these remixes jars so very badly with the remainder of the album. The 'Tiesto Remix' on the end of Dead Man's Chest was obviously the thin end of the wedge and an unwelcome one at that.

I enjoyed the first eleven tracks of this latest 'Pirates' soundtrack, especially the splendid guitar playing. However, I cannot bring myself to purchase such a flawed product; instead I will continue to listen on a certain well-known online jukebox to which I subscribe. Hopefully, someone will see sense and release an alternate version dedicated to the soundtrack proper and include more of the original score, whilst eliminating those remixes. No, they are not for everyone and so definitely should never have been included on the soundtrack CD from the start. Surely there cannot be many out there to whom this combination is appealing?

A CD of two halves and a waste of money, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great soundtrack for a great movie, 21 Jun 2011
If not for the overabundance of remixes that take up precious soundtrack space the album is very well made. I am not a great fan of spanish guitar so the music sounds not as much epic and rich and huge-ish as the previous soundtracks do, particularly the Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. Still it is very nice to listen to. I watched the movie only once so it is pretty hard for me to envision what track goes where, but I'd risk saying that the tracks are ridiculously short (as is the movie, to be particularly honest, just slightly over 2 hours of screen time is not enough for a diehard fan of Capt. Jack Sparrow and the crew). I wish they put the full ending track to the album instead of the offendingly short 2 minutes one.

Bloody djs, they be stealing our soundtrack space!

4.0 out of 5 stars A strange and exotic new direction for the score of POTC On Stranger Tides, 17 May 2011
L. Hubbard (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I love the scores to the POTC films. On Stranger Tides is an odd beast though, and on CD, Zimmer has taken the franchise in a new musical direction. Whether or not you like this direction is very much a matter of personal taste.

To start with, I would have to disagree somewhat with the reviewer who said there was an expansion of the musical themes from the previous films. The fantastic love theme from At World's End is gone (not surprising given the characters do not return), the Davey Jones theme does not reappear, nor does the one for the East India Trading Company or the theme introduced in Hoist The Colours from At World's End. However, the main "He's A Pirate" theme, Jack Sparrow's theme and the theme at the climax of Dead Man's Chest where Sparrow enters the Kraken does return in several guises.

Of course, the main difference in this album is the inclusion of the fantastic Rodrigo y Gabriela who are simply sensational on the guitars. The tracks Angelica and Palm Tree Escape are particularly good. The track Mermaids featured some great choral work - however those of you are familiar with Zimmer's previous work may be heavily reminded of portions of the Da Vinci Code from which he has obviously borrowed heavily for this track.

In terms of the album overall, I was somewhat disappointed. After the epic (and in my opinion one of the finest action scores ever written) At World's End, On Stranger Tides does not reach the same scale of awesomeness as heard on the previous album. The size of the orchestra sounded smaller (I didn't think it had the same raw power). But maybe that's the point. Stylistically, this album (at least the score portions) takes a very different direction to the previous albums - instead choosing the exotic rather than the apocalyptic. As for the remixes, I can't say I was overly impressed. None of them sound particularly interesting (and the best sounded like an ok version of the Tiesto remix of He's A Pirate from Dead Man's Chest). My main gripe is the length of time they take up on the album. I would have said it would have made sense to release a separate remix album, and have more of the actual score.

Once I got over the disappointment that this wouldn't be another At World's End, I did quite like the score portion of the album. If this was the first pirates album I had heard I would have easily given it 5*. However, apart from the exotically brilliant contribution from Rodrigo y Gabriela, I didn't feel that the album covered much new ground over that of the previous releases. I would strongly recommend listening to the samples prior to purchasing. Firstly, Zimmer has already stated that a lot of the music as heard in the film is not released on this CD. Half are remixes and some tracks present are longer versions than heard in the film itself. If you are buying this after having watched the movie there might be less score than you might expect and some great cues might be missing. For those who are Zimmer fans, if you love his work generally then you will probably like this new direction for the score (and the remixes are personal taste). For those who are expecting another At World's End, you will be disappointed. However the new material is satisfying if you give it a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Just what was wanted by our grandson. Played regularly & loudly!!!