Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 21 November 2009
This has always been one of my absolute favourite Stanley Turrentine recordings. Jazz purists will find this music too much soul oriented, but don't let them spoil the fun. The music is groovy and funky, Turrentine's sound is incisive and big, and the other musicians are great (Ron Carter on bass, Eric Gale on electric guitar ,Bob James and Harold Mabern on piano and electric piano).

The title tune alone is worth the price of the cd, and the good thing is that on this cd you get to hear it twice. Three months before the record as it originally appeared was recorded (with Idris Muhammad on drums), a session was taped with Billy Cobham wielding the sticks (March 1973). Producer Creed Taylor didn't like the sharper edge of Cobham's sound, and the project was shelved. Three tracks of that initial session have now been made accessible, among them the title tune. I was completely blown away by this earlier version! Cobham's drumming is more restless than that of Muhammad, but I love the edginess. What makes this bonus track totally unforgettable, though, is the organ. Here we don't get the somewhat sirupy sound of Richard Tee (who's credited for all the tracks) but a highly explosive player who can only be Charles Earland (not credited). I've written Sony years ago, but never got a reply. Never mind. The important thing is that we now have the extra tunes.

To be savoured over and over again.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 February 2012
I have to agree with the reviewers who rate this as their favourite Turrentine album. When I first bought it, I simply couldn't prise it off the turntable, as the sheer infectious joy of the playing demanded I kept repeating tracks. Overall, I find this one of my favourite, melodic jazz albums, with 'Mister T's' richly creamy melodies something which brings a warm smile to the heart and soul, and an immediate reduction in stress levels.

His band are equally impressive, with some lovely organ work from Richard Tee, and diamond-sharp guitar from Eric Gale. Eric James piano fills provide added colour and warmth, and Ron Carter's bass and Idris Muhammed drums keep the whole thing motoring. Interestingly, the three bonus tracks feature Billy Cobham on drums, but producer Creed Taylor didn't like the muscular drum sound, and the album was subsequently re-recorded with Muhammed. For me, it's a real bonus to have these tracks, as Cobham's drumming has an impressive thunder and clatter at times, and adds a new richness to the pieces, including the magnificent swagger of his composition 'Mississippi City Strut'.

Throughout, this cd has a wonderfully rhythmic, soulful and yearning quality, and the slower numbers really tug at the heartstrings. Great sound quality and informative notes from Didier Deutsch. A lovely, lovely album, brimming over with heart, soul and joy. Buy it now, and improve the quality of your life.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse