5.0 out of 5 stars practical and stylish !
Published on 21 Jun. 2011 by Anna

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed
Published 15 months ago by Soho63

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Senz New Mini Automatic Umbrella - Black (Luggage)
The depth of the umbrella hood is not very deep which meant that whilst it kept the rain off the top of my head, the rain simply blew in my face instead. I had to hold the umbrella very close to my head. I have owned a non automatic Senze umbrella before and didn't experience this problem. I am currently dissapointed. I would prefer a Senze model with a deeper hood that keeps the rain off my face and can be folded and placed in my bag. For just under £50 inc postage and packaging it has has not been worth it the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars practical and stylish !, 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Senz New Mini Automatic Umbrella - Black (Luggage)
Yet another umbrella? well NO this is far superior to any other i have owned (and lost!) Top quality materials ,efficient and with easy opening the design is perfect ! keeps my back protected from driving rain, and whilst giving full protection in front also gives me full visibility !! I love this umbrella and believe although costly it to be worth the money invested....I shall be extra vigilant now , would be most upset to loose this Rolls Royce of umbrellas !

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost exactly the same build components as the Fulton mini umbrella (which is half the price) - but still awesome!, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Senz New Mini Automatic Umbrella - Black (Luggage)
I had a small Fulton umbrella that served me proudly for nearly 7 years, standing up to some of the worst winds and rains. If you know umbrellas, the Fulton is built like a tank, and has some very strong ribbing inside of it.

I'd seen a Senz umbrella for the first time at the Science Museum in London - the Senz Original was what I drooled over (with its strong, unique ABS ribbing) - and had seen their remarkable wind tunnel test videos online. As an engineer, I had found what can only be described as nearly the perfect umbrella. All I needed was a small form of Senz to carry with me in my bag.

So, over the last couple of years, I've been quietly waiting for my Fulton to give up the ghost, and it finally did to a strong wind that compromised it for ever. In order to replace it, I wanted a Senz that would have similar physical size and an automatic open, so the Senz Mini AO is what I ordered.

When it arrived home, I opened both the Senz Mini AO and the Fulton it was replacing side-by-side, and I noticed it had almost exactly the same construction. The shaft was the same 8-sided telescopic structure, the ribs - although of an overall aerodynamic shape on the Senz - were identical battleship quality, and even the cap above the handle and the stopper under the canopy were the same, so for construction this was a good start. Obviously, the Senz canopy is aerodynamic and the Fulton is round, but otherwise they are constructed almost exactly the same.

Minor differences apart from the aerodynamic shape are that the Fulton had cost me £25, and the Senz cost £50. The Fulton had auto-open, AND auto canopy-collapse but the Senz just has auto-open - you have to collapse the canopy yourself by pressing the internal button. In addition, the handle on the Senz Mini AO is very small for a man to hold and is quite plasticy (coated in a dense foam) whereas the Fulton had a curved handle entirely made of wood - the curve allowed you to stabilise the umbrella when needed. I'd say the canopy material of the Fulton and the Senz is of equal high quality. The pouch for the Senz opens wider than my old Fulton pouch, and is easier to pack away.

Contrasting these construction elements doesn't tell you anything about the performance of the Senz umbrella, which is magnificent. But you have to understand something about the aerodynamic umbrella. It doesn't behave like a normal umbrella. Instead, it is dynamic in its behaviour, and it wants to point itself into the wind so that the airflow is optimal over the surface, and provides the least drag. You can actually feel the Senz leaning harder into the wind as the wind gets faster. This explains the simple round handle of the Senz - it allows it to rotate in the palm of your hand to find the best position for itself. You may think this - coupled with the pointed canopy shape - would expose you more to the rain depending on whether the rain is driving on the longer or shorter side of the umbrella as it rotates. However, the canopy is actually very large and will always cover you.

Also, because the umbrella can find its optimal position pointing into the wind while still covering you (if you don't fight against the Senz), this will actually PROLONG the life of this umbrella.

Remember that I said I had the Fulton for 7 years through some very tough conditions (I live out in the Fens where the wind and driving rain can be vicious). Now imagine an umbrella with that kind of build quality and longevity, but with a dynamic, self-adjusting optimal shape. The old Fulton - being round and sub-optimal - gave up the ghost to a particularly high wind, even with its legendary build quality. The Senz effectively eliminates that weakness to high winds by adjusting its position and having a shape that is complimentary to the wind.

This umbrella isn't indestructible - there have been times in squalish winds where it didn't feel like it could find a balance, and could possibly invert - but if you work with it, and trust its build, then I reckon this could be an umbrella for life.

So why haven't I given it 5 stars? You are effectively paying an extra £25 solely for a Fulton-like umbrella with the patented aerodynamic shape of the Senz. That's the cost of a replacement Fulton. But, the Senz is a novel approach, and I believe it will last far longer than 2 Fultons if treated right, so go ahead and buy it - you won't be disappointed!

2.0 out of 5 stars Form over function, 13 Oct. 2013
Simon Gosney (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Senz New Mini Automatic Umbrella - Black (Luggage)
It's good to support a British business attempting to do something novel and new. On paper this is umbrella does exactly that, taking a long-established design and adapting it in a way that aims to make it better.

Unfortunately, the reality for me was an umbrella that solved one problem whilst creating another. In the time I was using it, I can honestly say that it didn't so much as threaten to blow inside out once. The claims the umbrella designers make about the product's resistance to wind were certainly true in my experience.

The problem was that in achieving it's sleek, wind-resistant form, it sacrificed the core function of an umbrella, that of keeping the person using it dry. I can't remember having an umbrella that resulted in me getting as wet as this one did. Because the sides are so narrow, it meant that my sides were always soaked in a rainstorm, as the umbrella offered little protection. It might not have blown inside out, but I think I would just prefer not to get wet.

After 6 months, I reverted to a more conventional design with a larger canopy. I'm no longer getting wet. I'll take my chances with the new one failing within a year. It was half the price of the Senz umbrella.

1.0 out of 5 stars 50 pounds for this?, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Senz New Mini Automatic Umbrella - Black (Luggage)
I bought this because I lost my Bugatti umbrella and decided to try out something new.

I liked the idea futuristic design but the product is just not robust enough.
The handle is too short, the front part is too small -> so it rains on your feet when you walk.

I even flipped during some wind and since then does not open fully anymore.
A horrible experience for 50 pounds. And now they won't let me return it because it's been more than 14 days?!?!
It rained for 5 times since I bought it..

Give me back my money!

4.0 out of 5 stars Holds up, 22 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Senz New Mini Automatic Umbrella - Black (Luggage)
This umbrella is a little steep an i will perhaps only be able to justify the price if its still in use in 7 years time, at which time i will count it as a great product. It does hold its own in the wind but it is not a magical force field so you will still feel the gusts sending you hither and thither, and while its got some very clever hinges to stop it turning inside out, and you can turn the umbrella for different severity of gusts which I've found helps, it will still drag you in to the road if your not careful. Overall i do like the umbrella and its a marked improvement on the usual throw away assortment but its not perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Senz New Mini Automatic Umbrella - Black (Luggage)
I've got the original Senz umbrella and needed something compact in case it does rain.
This is perfect. it is a little bulky but doesn't bother me since it stays in my bag.
its a little on the pricey side for an umbrella.
Bonus. No fear of strong winds

4.0 out of 5 stars Senz mini automatic umbrella, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Senz New Mini Automatic Umbrella - Black (Luggage)
I like this brolly more than its big brother, I am not happy with the style but everything else is quality, sturdy, compact, its the best mini brolly I have purchased

5.0 out of 5 stars Never a hair out of place, 6 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Senz New Mini Automatic Umbrella - Black (Luggage)
Great actually works tried it on a really windy day. Only downside quite stiff and heavy but the comfort far outways that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Senz New Mini Automatic Umbrella - Black (Luggage)
Best umbrella by far, easy to use, no fuss and just does the job! Good in heavy driving rain and high winds too !

Senz New Mini Automatic Umbrella - Black