5.0 out of 5 stars Fly the Storm - carried me away
I took Fly the Storm with me on a recent holiday and, during a 12 hour train journey, I was transported into an adventure that made the rail trip almost fly by.
Published on 18 May 2011 by Blockhead

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea.....shame about the story
Loosely fact-based yarn about an attempt to steal a FW190 from the Germans gets horribly entangled in daft love story.
Published 8 months ago by P. M. Otter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fly the Storm - carried me away, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Fly the Storm (Hardcover)
From the moment the heroine of the story set off on her first flight in the Spitfire I was intrigued to find out what happened next. The author's passion for the period of the Second World War combined with his obvious technical knowledge of the aviation equipment of the era provided the perfect scenario for an adventure that took me to a time and place I have never experienced. The courage of the characters drew me in to engage with them as they all put their own lives on hold, and put personal ambitions to one side to "do their bit". Each of the main characters contributed their individual skill and determination to defeat the occupying forces of France, in such as way as to make me think I was there with them.
After many heroic acts, could she pull off just one more, and how would that affect the rest of her life when it resumed after the war? You will have to read Fly the Storm to find out. I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure ... and the train journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiction from Fact! A great portrayal of life for a young woman in WW2, 2 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Fly the Storm (Hardcover)
When I read Birdsong, I was moved by the graphic and heartfelt account of life in the trenches in WW1. If like me you were transfixed by this book, you will not be disappointed by Fly the Storm. In my opinion James Stevenson captures much of this intensity and realism in his account of the disruption of normal life for a young female Spitfire pilot, thrust into the chaos of occupied France and the Resistance. From the beginning i engaged with the heroine of the book. Stevenson takes us on a journey of action, courage, passion love, fear, frustration, guilt and regret. Wonderfully researched, detailed and reflecting on true accounts from WW2. A great read, which I could not put down. I can imagine this book translating into an equally engaging movie! A Thoroughly recommended book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Romance of the Air, 2 Mar. 2011
Mr. D. James "nonsuch" (london, uk) - See all my reviews
Fly the Storm
James Stevenson

This action-packed story of the wartime adventures of Blanche Longhurst, a WW2 pilot engaged to deliver Spitfires from factories to air bases, has much to recommend it. It is reminiscent of the BBC series The Secret Army, first screened decades ago on television. Set mainly in rural France, the novel follows impetuous aviatrix Blanche from her first mistaken landing in France, where she is interrogated and put under house arrest, and later used as a spy by the French Resistance, helping to smuggle rescued British airmen back to England. In the course of her intrigues she is obliged to fraternise with many top-ranking officers of the Luftwaffe, some of whom she detests, while others ... yes, pretty Blanche is never short of admirers, not only among the enemy but the airmen she nurses. A further amorous complication involves her English fiancé, missing and presumed dead. Stevenson adroitly handles the transitions between war and love, excitement and romance.

I enjoyed this book so much that it seems churlish to mention its long explanatory speeches - especially by the cell leader Madame Cazalet - where polished prose and unlikely dialogue prevail. Nevertheless, a bold and thrilling caper through occupied France.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and not just for the boys!, 22 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Fly the Storm (Hardcover)
Another great book by James Stevenson! I read and loved Dartmouth Conspiracy and now have just finished Fly The Storm (not a sequel to Dartmouth). The book is written in a very visual way, I could clearly imagine all the characters and where they were. This book is SO good and I think it would make the perfect Christmas present. Once you start reading, beware....you will not be able to put it down....you have been warned!! It is the sort of book that you never want to end, I got to know all the characters and now that I have finished reading, I feel sad to leave them. As the pages dwindled, I tried to read slower to make it last but Stevenson's writing is such that you just have to read on to find out what happens next. Truly a great book and the best I have read in a long time. I look forward to reading James Stevenon's next book as he is now my favorite author. Would someone PLEASE make Fly The Storm into a film, it would be a box office smash!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Fly the Storm (Kindle Edition)
Quite simply one of the best books I've read. I am am an avid historian of military history and the the technical aspects of the story relating to the FW 190 as much as the story itself itself were gripping. If you have any interest in the French resistance, the Luftwaffe or the air war in general, read this without fail together with other it's unrelated sequel regarding a raid on Dartmouth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok but, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Fly the Storm (Kindle Edition)
Nice book that rolls along nicely. The romance side would appeal to women. If you are looking for an blood and guts WW 11 novel give it a miss. The plot also has too many coincidences to be plausible which spoils the story somewhat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Oct. 2013
N J Roberts (Eastbourne East Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly the Storm (Kindle Edition)
The story of a female ferry pilot during ww2 who delivers new aircraft to their operational bases. Until one day the gets caught up in bad weather and loses her way. Eventually she lands but discovers she is in occupied France and slowly she becomes involved in the resiistance. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blanche's emotional and military mission, 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Fly the Storm (Kindle Edition)
An ending that surprised, and completed Blanche's emotional and military mission in wartime France. The opening is gripping, and James Stevenson's class as a genuine storyteller shines through in this fast-moving and enthralling tale. A cracking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY GOOD HAD TROUBLE PUTTING IT DOWN, 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Fly the Storm (Kindle Edition)
A VERY GOOD BOOK HAD TROUBLE PUTTING IT DOWN , ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS IVE READ , I LIKE THE WAY YOU ARE KEPT IN SUSPENCE AS TO WHAT HAPPEND TO HERE AND HOW SHE GOT BURNT , WOULD RECOMEND TO EVERY ONE , REALLY THOUGHT IT WAS A TRUE STORY , THANK YOU

5.0 out of 5 stars Fly the Storm, 23 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Fly the Storm (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic book, wasn't quite what I expected it to be but it turned out to be even better in the end.

This is definitely worth turning into a TV drama/mini series. Production companies should be beating a path to James Stevenson's door for the rights to do so, if I had the money I'd buy the rights myself!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›