5.0 out of 5 stars huge, and hugely useful
I used the previous editions for years and just received this one, from what I see the author has brought it up to date with the latest standards and additions, also devoting chapters to more extensions and tools, about server side applications, jquery and more.

The only way I can think of to improve the reading experience is to split the book.
Of course...
Published on 27 May 2011 by Marco Mariani

1.0 out of 5 stars not for the ipad
The code formatting is totally broken on the kindle app for the iPad. I guess it'll be the dead tree version or nothing.
Published on 16 Aug 2011 by Witz

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible, 8 April 2013
I bought this book when I started learning Javascript and I'm still referring to it now. Extremely well laid out, very well written. If you have anything to do with JS then buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars truly definitive, 22 Mar 2013
I. H. Renkema "Ouray" (Breck, CO) - See all my reviews
Well written & very complete. Truly definitive.

Still very readable. So I would definitely, or definitively, recommend it.

Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a reference for JS, 21 Mar 2013
Prof L. S. Smith "DaProf" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Good one - at last all the info I need in one place. JS is a language that has grown like topsy...I expect it'll be replaced by something else in a couple of years, but for now this is the book you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and thorough, 29 July 2012
This review is from: JavaScript: The Definitive Guide: Activate Your Web Pages (Definitive Guides) (Kindle Edition)
Little to add to the other 5 star reviews. This book lives up to its title. Clear and thorough. Just in case you're worried by the 1 star review, the code formatting on the iPad kindle app (and Kindles in general) is fine as long as you use the smallest font so that the lines don't need to wrap. And even if you don't it's just like it's emulating a text editor screen - what do you expect?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to my ever expanding knowlegde, 14 Mar 2012
Simon Davies (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
Having managed to pick the book up as its huge, but its worth it. The content within the book was very informative and expanded my knowledge of JS and jQuery further as well as reducing my actual code and methods of development. I would recomend this book to people that have a good knowledge / understanding of JS. Its a good read and past the time away on the bus to and from work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on JavaScript I've read so far, 15 Oct 2011
After reading this book I feel I understand JavaScript well. I must say that in some parts - like OOP - it's probably more descriptive than illuminating, but hey.. you can't have it all at once! And it's still the best book about JavaScript I read so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 31 Mar 2012
If all technical manuals were written like this one, life would be so much easier for the application developer.
Well structured, well written with clear explanations and examples.
Every author of software manuals should read this book and use it as an example for their own work.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only ever buy one book on JavaScript...., 30 Aug 2012
Then it should be this one - well written, teaches you why as well as how. There is nothing even close to this level of 'completeness' for the JavaScript language.

If you want to gain a thorough grasp of all that JavaScript is and be able to apply that in your web applications, then this is a book that should be by your side while working, and if your on the move - pick up either the ebook or the Pocket Reference by the same author.

4.0 out of 5 stars The JavaScript Bible, 12 Jun 2012
hi,

I am writing this review as an experienced web developer / software engineer. This book is the JavaScript bible - it can work either as reference book or for learning.
There are chapters that go through both Client and Server side programming in details, giving you a full knowledge of what's involved and how everything works.
The only CON? The weight of the book!
I would recommend this book to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, thorough reference guide, 12 Oct 2011
This is a great, thorough JavaScript reference guide. I haven't had the time to read the full book (it is really big) but have read some chapters describing areas I needed more information on, and both the literature and code examples have really helped me.

This is the 6th edition, it covers some jQuery and HTML5, again the areas I needed are very well explained.