5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy
Published on 16 Jan 2012 by Dave

1.0 out of 5 stars Adequate product - Terrible lifespan!
Service and delivery were perfectly fine. Actual compressor seems to work fine, tank capacity at full airbrush use is probably only a few minutes. The actual compressor is quiet enough.

The packaged gravity fed airbrush feels a bit cheap so I'll probably buy a better one; especially as on the first proper use the trigger fell out.It was easy enough to pop back...
Published on 4 Feb 2012 by SirDaz

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: FoxHunter KMS Airbrush Kit AS186 AS 186 with Compressor with Tank with 2 x Double Action Airbrushes and Hose (Misc.)
After the fiddle and expense of using air cartridges for airbrush work I eventually decided to buy a compressor. Having done so, I wish I had done it years ago! It just sits there chugging away (very quietly) and produces a good, constant air supply with no hint of pulsation. It is also very useful as an air duster using an old airbrush to control the airflow. When the required pressure is reached (easily set by turning one knob) the compressor automatically stops. I switch it on when starting work even if I am not going to do any airbrushing and have found if no air is used, the compressor does not have to switch on all day as it hold the pressure extemely well. It is very handy to have a constant, readily available air supply as there is always dust that needs blowing off something.
I found that if placed on a smooth surface it has a tendancy to "walk" due to its vibrations. This was easily cured by sitting it on a piece of old carpet. The two supplied airbrushes were a bonus....I would happily have paid the money for just the compressor considering how cheap it is compared to other sellers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Airbrush Kit AS186 AS 186 with Compressor with Tank with 2 x Double Action, 21 Oct 2011
Excellent offer would have cost more bought seperatly. Was cheaper from this supplier for the full kit than just the compressor alone from other suppliers.Very pleased with the overall package fast delivery and well packaged.
Compressor is very easy to use quieter than some i have seen and used over a great kit that works very well

5.0 out of 5 stars What value!, 5 Oct 2011
I could not be happier with my purchase. The compressor works well, although the user is struggling a bit with some of the finer use of airbrushes! I struggled to maintain the pressure I was looking for until I found that the pressure control on the moisture trap adjusts by lifting and turning, not simply turning and that wasn't clear from the instructions, but I could not be happier.

I already have brushes and the two brushes that come with it are basic but great for a beginner/amateur dabbler.

For the price you cannot go wrong,
i) a compressor
ii) with a tank,
iii) with 2 brushes

now all you need is time to play.

Thank you for your great product and service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great kit for getting started, 9 Dec 2012
C. Mcleod (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
After a fair amount of research I bought this kit as a way to get into airbrushing for my scale models. The set represents phenomenal value for money - I'd have spent this price on the compressor alone, as it is worth the money in itself.

As others have noted, it's a "no-brand" compressor, with poor instructions. That doesn't make it any less good.

* It's reasonably quiet when it is running.
* It has a storage tank, so it doesn't need to run all the time, and to give a more even air flow.
* It has a moisture trap to protect your paint from droplets of condensation.

As others have noted, to adjust the PSI, you have to pull up on the valve cap and then turn it to adjust. When running the compressor I noticed a higher-pitched rattling or buzzing after a short while, which I thought might have been a fault developing. After a bit of investigation this turned out to be the pull-ring on the safety valve vibrating against the metal tank. I used an elastic band to secure it down, stopping the annoyance.

Personally I only really bought the kit for the compressor, and viewed the two airbrushes as a "bonus", which would let me practice without potentially ruining a "good" airbrush. To make it clear (it wasn't to me, when I purchased) - you get both a bottom-fed and a side-fed syphon airbrushes. A gravity (top) feed airbrush is what you really want, but the two in the kit do have their uses.

The side-feed brush is the flimsier of the two, and in my experience, a bit temperamental. It's also the closest in operation to a gravity-feed, so I used it for practising at first so the transition to my "proper" brush would be easier. In the end I binned it - the seal on the nozzle wore out, so that whenever the brush was used the entire nozzle assembly would come flying off of the brush at high speed. This could have been my fault in part - damage caused by inexperienced cleaning, for example, so I'm not inclined to blame the quality of the brush 100%.

The bottom-feed brush, by contrast, is built like a tank. It needs a spanner to take the nozzle off, so I'm not too concerned about it flying off like a rocket! In my experience it is a bit harder to clean than the side-feed, particularly ensuring there's no paint left in the syphon tube itself. This brush has a wider tip than the side-feed, so is ideal for painting large areas. I use it for applying an undercoat and basecoats.

In summary: if you're looking for a reasonably priced way to start airbrushing, this is an ideal kit which will last you a good while (particularly the compressor). Personally I'd recommend spending an extra 18 to buy a gravity-fed airbrush, in addition to the two in the kit. I'd also recommend getting a quick-release valve connector for each brush you have, so the tank won't drain when you switch brushes, but that's just preference.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality .. bargain price !, 5 Mar 2012
Prompt delivery by courier.

This kit would still be a bargain at twice the price.

The instructions are good once you get used to the minor errors in translation. Operation is excellent and automatic maintenance of tank pressure is pleasing. It has enough power to run several airbrushes at once.
The price is very competitive for a compressor, but the real bonus is the two professional standard airbrushes that come with it !! A joy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and a good piece of kit, 25 Sep 2012
Ordered this at 3 pm on Monday and it arrived 9:30 am on Tuesday next day. Well done KMS.

The two unbranded dual action airbrushes are sturdy and are supplied with exploded diagrams to assist with where all the bits go and a handy paint mixing cup with spout. One airbrush is side mounted gravity feed and the other syphon from an included glass syphon jar.

The compressor instructions do not tell you how to set the pressure but you do this by lifting the knob in top of the air trap and gauge assembly and turning it to the desired setting. The compressor is quiet running and when the tank is full it cuts out leaving you using the air in the tank which lasts a few minutes before the compressor cuts in again.

For the price (which included the above fast delivery) it is great value from this supplier.

I cannot tell how good the airbrushes are as these are my first and it would be interesting to know who made them for price comparison or future spare parts if required. Now I have to learn how to use them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginners kit.., 9 Sep 2012
Excellent delivery and nice little kit. Great for those starting out in airbrushing. Brushes are ok standard though you may want to upgrade at a later date. Very quite and quick to get to pressure. Instructions are not very good though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Airbrush AS186 Kit, 29 Feb 2012
After many years of painting model soldiers and model trains by hand I finally decided to try an airbrush. The first one I got was a "starter kit" with a can of air. After using nearly the entire can of air to undercoat just 15 models, and having splattered paint everywhere, I decided this probably wasn't for me. However despite the faults I did like the finish, and the ability to prime models in any colour I wanted and paint AFVs and Rolling Stock smoothly definitely appealed. After reading some reviews I realised I had done everything wrong by getting a "cheap" starter - so I started looking at prices which rapidly totted up. But you get what you pay for - right? Then I looked at this set-up - the AS186 with 2 x Airbrushes - it was literally just 4x the cost of the appalling starter kit I'd wasted 22 on - but it's brilliant. The quality is superb, the airbrushes are well made and work extremely well. Having a tank on the compressor makes a big difference. I'd also recommend you avoid my mistakes and read some books and articles BEFORE you buy! So I would definitely recommend this kit to anyone who takes painting their models half-way seriously - its well-made, robust, works well and is equally the quality of some of the much more expensive set-ups out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased!, 1 Nov 2012
Super little compressor, quiet and neat.
Mine came with a black steel case surround which looks neat and helps protect the compressor.
Unfortunately it came without the air-hose, which was disappointing because I was dying to give it a try out, but the seller (GLUES'N'HARDWARE) was very quick to rectify the situation.
The only thing I would have liked is a tank pressure gauge, but that's just me.
The airbrushes seem reasonable quality, a bit of Iwata Airbrush Super Lube lube helped smooth the action considerably. There seemed to be traces of grease (silicon ???) around the air-valve and nozzle on one, so a good clean-up and lube was essential before first use just in case. A close look inside the nozzles and at the needles showed pretty crude finishing, and the needles don't line up correctly in the nozzles, but they work reasonably well and at this price I ain't complaining!

Edit Jan 13

After using this set a lot and spending hours polishing needles, nozzles, spring guides etc in an attempt to get a better "action" I decided to get myself a combined Xmas/B-day present; two new high-end airbrushes. A Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline M and a Harder & Steenbeck Ultra 2 in 1 airbrush. What a difference! No more irregular spray patterns or stuttering and super smooth actions. If I'd never purchased these I would be non-the-wiser and quite happy chugging along the supplied a/brushes, but now I would strongly advise anyone who uses there airbrush more than occasionally to upgrade. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value you could ever get, 5 Mar 2014
This arrived promptly and exactly as described. It was well packed and being on a budget was exactly what I wanted. It worked just fine but if you know nothing about compressors the lack of instructions may be a problem. Once you are set up, compressor plugged in, airbrush connected, the below may help you.

To clarify the compressor sits on top and uses a single piston to push (compress) air into the storage chamber. You set the required working pressure (typically 10 - 25 PSI) (Pounds Square Inch) by adjusting the pressure regulator this is the black part with a control knob, red collar and a pressure gauge. To adjust the pressure you need to lift up the control knob and turn clockwise to increase pressure, anti clockwise to reduce pressure. To set the pressure you need to pull the trigger to squirt air from your airbrush, this is known as dynamic pressure and allows the needle on the pressure gauge to move. If you do not squirt air out of the airbrush while adjusting then the gauge will only show increases in pressure (this is known as static pressure) and will not drop down even if you turn the control knob anti-clockwise. Easiest way is to squirt air from airbrush and adjust the knob until gauge reads the value you want. Push down the knob when done. When down the pressure cannot be adjusted. You have a plastic chamber which is a water trap to catch any water/oil coming from the compressor and thus protecting your airbrush. Empty as needed. I would also add the inline filter as can be found on Amazon at the airbrush as most compressors produce water and oil in their air..

On the side of the compressor is a small metal part with a metal ring through it. This is an over pressure safety valve which will lift up if the regulated pressure should rise to high letting the compressed air escape to atmosphere, it will close when the pressure drops. Check this valve does not leak from time to time. If it operates look at the pressure on the pressure gauge, the regulator can fail and end up giving higher than desired pressure. On the good side the regulator used here is quite common, cheap and readily available to buy.

When finished and before removing your airbrush, turn off compressor and squirt air from airbrush until the pressure gauge reads zero. You can then safely remove the airbrush. Easier and quicker is to buy a self sealing quick release connector again available on Amazon. Buy one for each airbrush you wish to use.

I recommend this pump with the storage chamber as the pump will only run to recharge the chamber rather than running all the time on a unit without the chamber.

I have not used the supplied airbrushes as I bought the Neo for Iwata as I wanted a gravity feed, I will be using them shortly and if I have any problems I'll let you know.

ARRAY(0xa7043f0c)