Colour Name: BlackChange

on 15 May 2013
I bought the extreme to upgrade from my previous Power Monkey as I had a 9 day trek in the Nepalese mountains planned and am so glad I did! The other trekkers laughed when I told them I had a Power Monkey with me but they soon changed their tune!! Two days in and the Extreme had lept to the rescue of many a camera and phone with people sheepishly asking if it could help in their hour of need. The power it holds is quite amazing, charging so many different bits of kit and so easy to recharge even using the solar panel in the glorious Nepal sun!! The great improvement over my previous model being the USB socket allowing so many more items to be charged than before and cutting out the need for the special "tips".

Am I happy that I bought this? Yes
Is it good value for money? Yes if you're a tech addict.
Would I recommend it? Yes I have and others have bought it!

All in all a great bit of kit, the only downside is turning the thing on can be a bit fiddley at times using the swipe pad but that is more a getting used to it issue than anything else.
0Comment48 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 October 2013
I am very pleased with this charger, as it does what it says on the tin. I was away camping for just over six weeks and this charger kept both mine & my wife's mobile phone and ipad fully charged and usable for the whole period. Very robust and well made.
on 11 July 2013
The battery capacity is huge compared to previous models and I've charged my toshiba at300 tablet with this unit. The unit is light weight waterproof with an accessory from power monkey. I almost emptied the battery of battery of power and it took two days of good sunlight to recharge it. If your looking for a high capacity mobile battery charging whilst on the move/backpacking then consider the power monkey extreme.
on 9 September 2013
I Bought this as my I phone 5 is very greedy on its battery, as I use it a lot on the internet..
This back up & solar device are excellent..Best thing I have ever bought for the i phone...6 months later it performs excellently...keeping my i phone going for over a week on one charge..with no mains in site..
Brilliant
on 1 June 2015
I bought one of these direct from Powertaveller in 2014, figuring that it would have the most up to date circuitry inside.

Only got around to using it properly in early April 2015 when it kept my phone fully charged up during Berwick upon Tweed to Dundee coastal walk. I wanted to record the trip with one of those walking apps you put on your phone so gps was running constantly during walk time.

On cloudier mornings there was a net loss of 5% to 6% (except the morning where the cloud was exceptionally low and dark) until the clouds thinned, compared to 10% per hour loss with phone unplugged and running under the same conditions. I found this was the case for usually the first four hours (on the trail at 7am) but once 11am came around battery % increased and would be holding full capacity in under 2 hours. Something else I worked out, it was well worth spending 5 minutes before setting off to get it properly attached on the backpack - I had tied it a bit loose on one occasion and the panel slipped to face directly behind me therefore was poorly angled toward the sun.

During testing around the house I found the panel would charge the phone much faster than when plugged into USB port on pc.

Otherwise, the box contains all the tips and wall socket combinations you could ever require.

So to sum it up: Yes, in Scotland, during the first two weeks of April, it did the job.
on 27 January 2015
The power monkey extreme is a great product that does exactly what it suggests. I haven't had chance to use the solar charger yet so cannot comment on that functionallity yet.
The product comes in a neoprene like zip case, the only issue I have with this, is that the mains charger does not fit in the case, so when travelling abroad you cannot put all key components in one place to carry it. Pretty essential if you are travelling abroad.
Once you get the hang of the slide controls then it is simple to use, but don't worry as it also comes with credit card sized instruction cards which fit in the case nicely.

The full instructions are fairly basic, and hint that you can charge multiple devices off one usb port, but I haven't worked that one out yet, perhaps I need an extra cable. Overall very happy with the Power Traveller Powermonkey extreme.
on 27 July 2013
Did a 5 week cycle tour this year and I'm so pleased I bought this before leaving. I met a couple of cyclists last year who were using one and I was quite envious. It is a professional bit of kit. I carried a lot of AA rechargeable batteries, I bought a small USB charger which would charge 1, 2, 3 or 4 AA/AAA batteries fast. Charging these and my LG smartphone (and spare phone battery) covered all my needs. Had the Powermonkey in my Ortlieb RackPack bag and the solar panels strapped to the top, worked perfectly.
on 29 November 2012
Tremenous power availability during 12 day trek to Everest Base Camp. Charged my and friends' iPhones, cameras etc. topped up with solar panel during the day, think my connecting wire took a bash, which may have affected solar charging. Another friend had one too, and got a better solar charge than I did.
on 4 April 2013
I got this so I could keep my iPad charged on extended walking trips in the wilderness . There is a weight issue, but as it comes with connectors and you can hang it from your pack while you walk to charge up it achieved my goal of keeping both an iPad and mobile phone charged up for when they were needed. On reflection I think I'd buy a darker colour next time.
on 26 July 2015
I'm not a fan of this at all.

I've been playing with with solar and battery packs for some time, and yet to find the perfect combination, and thought this might be it.. but it's so not.

The solar panel is really weak - there are similar stand alone ones that cost very little and are about 5 times the power output.

The battery pack itself is ok - holds it charge, feels like it will take a knock, but i've yet to get a full charge with solar - and the slide on slide off power options are just really confusing.. i never know if it's on or off... it doesn't seem to update charge level when on solar until you unplug it...

The cable between solar and battery pack is custom and i'm sure will soon get lost.

A really good attempt at cracking this, and you can see they the company have genuinely tried to create a great product, but sadly they have fallen quite short... It's all a bit of a faff for little reward...

I think this was first made in around 2010 and it feel that way.... things have moved on...

It's a shame to be writing a poor review on a product made in the UK as they have done everything right, but it just doesn't hit the mark, especially at the price.
11 comment3 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse