on 11 April 2011
If you are a knitter who considers techniques that are completely new to you or using continental methods or charts the Devil's Work this is not the book for you, I have knitted socks from the toe up before by using Wendyknits free patterns on the internet but never mastered Judy's magic cast on before and had used other methods such as short row shaping, this book has shown me quite clearly how to do the magic cast on, the instuctions are the sort where you do as you are told and find it has worked. I also mastered following a chart which I have struggled with in the past. I liked the idea of doing both socks at the same time and I did not once muddle up the 2 balls of wool. I liked the shape of the toes in these patterns better than some I have done in the past, I liked the heels less, but the point of this book is to show you how to master the technique to then use in your own knitting. The patterns in the book have some nice designs for all members of the family, and there are still a few patterns I will have a go at. I found some of them tell you what yarn to use often an American brand they then tell you what the tension is on the ball band and then the pattern knits to a different tension. This is useful in the lace patterns as lace never knits to the same tension as stocking stitch but I think it may confuse some. There are also facts and figures to help you design your own patterns or to adapt the existing, these need a clear head to understand, but on a second reading I was fine. So I would recommend this book if you are open minded to new ideas, and not too set in your ways, you could knit socks from this book if you are experienced in knitting but have little or no experience of socks but it's definately not for absolute beginners.
on 16 August 2012
I think this book is great, it clearly shows how to knit 2 socks at a time on one long circular needle - which is exactly what I wanted to know, as a sufferer of 'second sock syndrome'.

I bashed out the sample socks in no time, and quickly moved onto a couple of others, also lovely and simple.

The only reason I have not given 5 stars is that I am not overly keen on all the patterns included. However, saying that, it is the technique that makes this book valuable, and you can import that onto any sock pattern you like!

The wire bound nature of the book is also great, easy to flip from page to page, and it doesn't shut itself every time you fidget.

Recommended!
on 15 January 2011
I'm on my third pair of toe-up socks. Love the fact you can try them on as you go. Also, you don't run out of wool midway through sock 2, as you knit them both together. Liked the sample socks, delighted with ballet socks. Less fiddly than using double pointed needles. Thank you to the author!
on 27 December 2011
This is an excellent book, extremely well thought out and very well illustrated. Takes a lot of "mystery" out of knitting socks by explaining proportions and applying a simple formula. There is a good range of sock patterns and also guidance on how to apply this technique to any sock pattern.

For someone new to sock knitting this is a brilliant book. For experienced sock knitters there are useful tips, and knitting 2 socks at a time not only means not losing "momentum" after sock 1, but also means that both socks will be exactly the same size and shape!

I am so glad I discovered this book.
on 22 December 2013
Just love her sock books have her first but when I saw I could do two
at a time then I was hooked. Instructions are clear and for those trying
them for the first time there is a sample pattern with picture by picture
instructions. Great little book and lots of nice patterns in there too
when you feel you can progress from stocking stitch!
on 25 February 2013
After contracting a serious case of 'second sock syndrome' I decided to get this book to tackle 2 at a time. It was surprisingly easy (I already knit magic loop and know how to do Judy's Magic Cast on so that was most of it sorted before I started) and by the time I'd made the little sample socks I had the technique sussed.

Unfortunately the patterns are written with almost the same level of detail as the sample pair, which for me was just way too much writing and unnecessary over-complication. I found myself scan reading the patterns to find the pertinent info amongst lots and lots of other text and I feel this opens up too much opportunity for missing something and making an error. In the end I had to rewrite the two patterns I have made in note form before I could use them - and then they were great.

On a more positive note, there are a nice range of designs for women, children and men and I like that the book is spiral bound - especially as you need to wade through so much text.

In short, I'd say the sample socks chapter is useful to learn the technique, but after that I'd prefer a pattern to be a pattern, not a multi-page step-by-step walkthrough. I don't think I'd recommend this book to friends - instead I'd send them to YouTube and recommend they use any toe-up sock pattern they like, I have personally been using Wendy D Johnson's "Socks from the toe up" but making them 2 at a time.
on 29 March 2014
I found it a little difficult to follow initially, but once I got started, I found it easier to understand what she was getting at. A very useful book - all the socks I knit now are from the toe up , and always both at the same time.
on 21 January 2013
I could not get my head around the concept before, but Melissa Morgan-Oakes' step by step instructions finally made it all easy. No more odd length socks or left-over wool!
on 21 June 2014
This book was recommended to me as I couldn't manage to knit toe up socks, I found it helpful & now can knit them.
on 13 April 2015
For technical detail and the sort of procedures - and photos - that ensure that even the most ham-fisted of sock knitters can't go wrong - this bookis tops. If you buy this book, make sure you knit the sample socks first. I did, and found that I was magically endowed with the confidence to tackle any TAAT pattern that the world of sock-knitting deigned to throw at me...