5.0 out of 5 stars Quick tips work well for busy parents
Published on 2 Aug 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars nothing revelationary
It's not a bad little book but if your toddler is as old as mine - coming up to 2.5, you've already encountered most things in the book. Also, keep in mind that if you have friends with toddlers and chat with them about the toddler experience, you'll cover a lot of what is in book.
Published on 10 Jan 2012 by William's mum

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick tips work well for busy parents, 2 Aug 2003
By A Customer
I am a fan of Dr. Green who obviously understands our concerns first hand. He gives some great advice as well as compassion and humor regarding the everyday parenting stuff that can drive us crazy. I don't have time to read a long paragraph book on each individual concern. So this type of quick reference format on a number of topics is really handy for those bad days when I'm just about at my wit's end. Another "little" A-Z book that I have found extremely helpful with this age group (2-5) is called "The Pocket Parent". I highly recommend it as well and it covers even more behavior topics than "Toddler Taming Tips". I think if you have little ones that often challenge your sanity, consider both books as a welcome addition to your home library. I guarantee that you will refer to them to again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars If Your Toddler Is Running the Household..GET THIS BOOK!, 17 May 2003
By A Customer
I am a fan of Dr. Green. He is warm, witty, and wise--as are his books. There are a variety of quick-read tips to choose from and we pick what seems right for us and each of our kids at the moment. Sometimes we found what works with one child is all wrong for his sister. The suggestions in this book have minimized much of the daily negative interactions in our family. We are mindful of trying to communicate in ways that result in more cooperation from our kids. I am so glad there are authors who have written books exclusively for the very challenging early years. Even the best parent with a toddler occasionally wonders, "Who's really in charge here anyway?" I feel so incompetent sometimes...I appreciate the easy access organization of this book that enables me to get some quick advice along with some welcome reassurance that I'm not the only parent who has these problems. I recently found another "little" book that has hundreds of helpful tips for parents of 2-5 year olds. "The Pocket Parent" is not written in paragraphs, but rather short bullets of friendly practical information (appropriately called "sanity savers") organized into an A-Z format. It's so great to be able to quickly look up a troublesome behavior on the spot--such as: biting, bedtime and mealtime refusals, quibbling siblings, lying, whining, tantrums, and "I hate you's," -- immediately finding some sensible ideas to try. The philosophies of both of these books are compatible. Both books offer alternatives to yelling, bribing, threatening, critizing, and nagging that aren't working anyway! If you are a busy parent with a toddler (2, 3, 4, or 5 years old) that is testing your sanity daily, I highly recommend "Toddler Taming Tips" and "The Pocket Parent." Both books are helpful, humorous and worth keeping handy for when you need some quick advice or just some empathy on one of those really bad days when you think you are about to lose your mind!

3.0 out of 5 stars nothing revelationary, 10 Jan 2012
For me a bit of a waste of money but probably not bad to get when your first child turns 1.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read especially if you have little time on your hands, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Toddler Taming Tips: A Parent's Guide to the First Four Years - Pocket Edition (Kindle Edition)
I have the book at home but this version is a little shorter and was quite useful in that regard. I might not agree with everything Green talks about however I understand he needs to cater for all kinds of parenting and that as a parent, it's up to you to decide which technique you go with and what might work for you.

Possibly the biggest message I got from this was the general underlying message of gaining understanding of what it must be like to be a toddler. I must admit I had never really thought about it from this point of view and it does help to have this when your child performs an Oscar winning tantrum!

None of these toddler parenting books are going to give you the answers to the meaning of life, but what they will do is potentially open your eyes to some aspect you may not previously have thought of and this book definitely did this for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift from god, 9 Nov 2010
This book is fantastic, if you thought you'd tried everything with your toddler for a shread of sanity you must read this. Toddler Taming Tips is easy to read and very insightful, its helped me to enjoy my little ones without the stress levels with simple but effective methods. Plus its a handy size to take anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read it earlier!, 31 Oct 2010
Fantastic book with misleading title! Takes the stress out of parenting by seeing things from the childs perspective!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not at all helpful., 6 Jan 2011
Ms. J. Brooks (london) - See all my reviews
I bought this book in the hope it might give some helpful and useful strategies in dealing with the challenging behaviour of a very bright 2year old.The book contains some sensible advice such as would be found in any good book on childcare, but as a family who do not agree with smacking under any circumstances, I was disappointed and quite shocked to see the author advocating smacking in certain circumstances- for example when the child refuses to be buckled up in the car. What an odd idea that this would make any difference!He also refers to 'difficult children'- in my experience all children exhibit challenging behaviour at some point and I don't feel it is helpful to label any child as 'difficult'- children live up to other's expectations after all. I much prefer the advice and sensible strategies in Tanya Byron's books, especially 'Little Angels' which focusses on how the parent/s' behaviour impacts dramatically on that of the child.

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful, 8 Jan 2014
very helpful book, i realised the mistakes i was doing and i've changed them,as much as i could. now i am getting its rewards.

4.0 out of 5 stars light and easy to read, 19 April 2012
It was a helpful book. It gave me some useful insights to the so called 'terrible twos'. Easy to refer to the chapters that are most relevant at the time. Worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brief of the original book, 11 Jan 2012
This was purchased for my mother who was wanting it to help with my nephew - she had used the book while my sister was a toddler and was greatly helped. This meant that facing being a new grandparent she wanted this book to review again after looking everywhere she asked me to have a nose on Amazon and I found it!! Turned out I found the brief version and not the full book so still helpfull but not entirely what we were looking for.