4.0 out of 5 stars AA's usual handy guide - road maps need revision
Generally this Essential Guide is up to the AA's usual standard. However, having been revised in 2009, I expected it to have a road map that shows the latest road improvements. The full page maps inside the front and rear covers are identical, which seems an unnecessary waste of space, and do not show where the new dual carriageways are.
Published on 19 Mar. 2010 by John Alan

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst travel guide I've ever bought!
Published on 15 Jun. 2010 by T. G. Lee

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst travel guide I've ever bought!, 15 Jun. 2010
T. G. Lee "elefriendly" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I hate being negative about books, but this is one that I feel honour-bound to criticise. Having travelled extensively over the last quarter of a century and having half a bookcase full of travel books now, I thought I would give the AA Guide a chance instead of the three or four normal brands that I buy. If this is the standard of them, it will most certainly be the last. A few examples of where it is lacking:

* Photographs that are, on occasion, impossible to determine to which passage of text they refer without prior knowledge. Lack of captions can leave you very frustrated (e.g with no prior knowledge, where is the nice beach photographed on pp. 56/57?);
* Roadmaps that are less reliable than they could be(although in fairness the roads and their signage can leave a lot to be desired as well);
* Extreme bias towards churches as points of interest, with many other significant attractions either missing (e.g. Ghadira Wetlands Bird Reserve) or given scant coverage for their importance (e.g. Malta Aviation Museum which received a whole 3 sentences - one of them not directly related to the Aviation Museum itself);
* The driving details on p. 29 are very misleading - the prevailing speed-limit is 70 kph, not 80 kph and the speed limits in built-up areas are very variable, not the 50 kph quoted
* Slightly curious use of the English language - was this written by someone whose first language is not English? If so, then it should be properly proof-read and made into coherent English.

In conclusion, this was an extremely disappointing book. I feel that I cannot recommend it to anyone who wishes to have a balanced view of Malta before travelling. What I would recommend is to look at the reviews for other guides and select one of those instead!

4.0 out of 5 stars AA's usual handy guide - road maps need revision, 19 Mar. 2010
John Alan (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Guide., 9 Sept. 2010
John Mackay (Wolverhampton UK) - See all my reviews
A useful tool on my 3rd visit to Malta. The first was in 1950 and it hasn't changed that much, except they've removed the wreckage from Grand Harbour. I did get to several places I hadn't seen before though and the guide was useful as I was driving, the roads get very, very narrow in places.

2.0 out of 5 stars Malta Guide, 3 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Essential Malta & Gozo (AA Essential Guide) (Kindle Edition)
Rather unwieldy to use on the Kindle Fire.
The guide lacks detail - giving only the most basic information.
Some useful advice and tips. I feel sure this guide to Malta and Gozo would be more manageable in the traditional book format.

3.0 out of 5 stars Guide, 1 April 2013
Think this book would be better as a hardback instead of a Kindle version so that it is more user friendly. Otherwise I am sure it contains all the information you would need.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 27 Nov. 2014
Can you please post maps to me ..I do not have Kindle....Thanks

Essential Malta & Gozo (AA Essential Guide)