4.0 out of 5 stars winter is coming at a glacial pace
It's been quite the wait for the latest installment of G.R.R.Martin's (GRRM) A Song of Ice and fire series and during the wait there have been some very impressive new additions to the fantasy field (Abercrombie, Bakker, Lynch and Abraham). So I was interested to see whether the quality still holds up with the new competition. The first thing I have to say is that, yes it...
Published on 14 Aug. 2011 by Neil J. Pearson

3.0 out of 5 stars Intricate, but Underwhelming.
ADWD was a loooong time in the waiting, and since the previous book was a character-driven travelogue, it was generally believed that this would make up for it with plenty of action and plot resolution. Not so. This, like A Feast For Crows, is 1000 pages of scenic character study.

The characters travel about, and have immense conversations with other people...
Published on 17 July 2011 by Elspeth Flashman

‹ Previous | 160 61 6269 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating but still a good read, 20 July 2011
s shakespeare - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Song of Ice and Fire (5) - A Dance With Dragons: Book 5 (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the book overall but when main characters were killed of in quick succession and after much investment I felt a little cheated, surely if he spent less time with people who are irrelevant or at best not vital to the story he could be finished by now?

I sincerely hope the next book moves the plot at a brisker pace with less pointless sidetracking. It gets 4 stars for being beautifully written and enthralling despite very little of substance actually happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Good, 28 Aug. 2011
I have had to work at some of these books and, after reading previous reviews, I was a tad worried about this one. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised. Personally, I thought that it moved along quickly, was always entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Like all of Martin's books, you need to give it your attention and concentrate on all of the nuances but I actually thought that it was less daunting and faster moving than some others. The depth and potential scope of the world he has set up is genuinely awe inspiring - if he finishes this series within the next two books, or does not set up a prequel series, I will be disappointed as he has laid the foundations for something truly epic.

4.0 out of 5 stars If I dropped this from a not so great height I may well kill someone, 20 Feb. 2012
This book is gigantic, almost wish I was patient enough to wait it out for the paperbacks.. but alas, that would be too long to end this epic adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to those attacking George RR Martin!, 15 Dec. 2011
T. Gomes (Moledo Portugal) - See all my reviews
This is the second review I've written of this book, given that the first got wiped when I tried to publish it.

Oh well! I can't reproduce what I wrote the first time, but to summarise, I'd like to argue against those who have attacked George RR Martin, as follows:

(1) This book and the Ice and Fire series or frankly mind-boggling in the way they combine epic expansiveness with intricacy and detail. No writer depicts characters better than GRRM, and while he has always written well, in terms of quality of writing I'd say ADWD is his best yet.

I'd add that to see his fictional world with so much scope AND detail, to empathise with his characters so deeply, GRRM must need to take a "gods eye view". And given that he isn't a god, should we be surprised that it takes time? Which leads me to ...

(2) People have criticized GRRM for writing slowly, but this is utterly inappropriate. Almost none of the most brilliant authors of our time would be able to produce anything close to this book over a whole lifetime. To write like this he must be incredibly determined, and he must work very, very, very hard!

GRRM's detractors have had a silly "black and white" mindset: GRRM submits work late, so he must have terrible work habits; some writers can do a book a year, so all ought to be able to do so ... Life is not this simple - how about shades of grey, nuance? We should criticise GRRM's way of working at our peril. He probably can't change it any more easily than he could change his eye colour or grow taller, and if he tried to change we might not see anymore books of this standard.

J Buckley.

5.0 out of 5 stars a Dance with Dragons, 11 Feb. 2012
It is a fantastic book, cant wait for the tv to put it on to really undrestand the book. Brilliant book worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars You know what to expect by now..., 29 Nov. 2011
Huge set pieces, lavish descriptions of scenery, brutal violence, wry dialogue, massive plot twists - and far too many characters. Martin really needs a competent and honest editor to whittle down the rubbish, as underneath the filler he is still a master of fantasy fiction.

And Reek totally rocks!

5.0 out of 5 stars ACE, 15 Nov. 2011
I don't see how anyone can give this less than 5 stars. I couldn't put it down. I know none of the main secrets were revealed but so what, there's always the next book. It was my favourite along with the A Game of Thrones. Gripping, especially the REEK chapters which were incredibly tense. I loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Book, 4 Mar. 2014
I enjoyed this book as I have the entire series thus far! It was a bit slow in parts, but I do enjoy seeing the character development rather than just a rushed story.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 23 Feb. 2014
Absolutely gripping from start to finish! You must read all 5 books now, you will be enthralled. Enjoy A Song of Ice and Fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Feb. 2014
Everything you can expect with delicious cliff hangers for book six. Must write more they ask so fab fab fab.

‹ Previous | 160 61 6269 | Next ›