5.0 out of 5 stars That's how you make a comeback
Published on 13 Jan 2012 by xoanito

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame
Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

I've loved all three of Vanessa's previous albums, and I was eagerly anticipating this one.

You see, there are artists in this world -- the likes of Bob Dylan, Tracy Chapman, Matt Johnson -- who write songs of such awesome power and poetry, that they don't need strong production to make them shine through; even, that such...
Published on 23 May 2012 by brothercake

5.0 out of 5 stars That's how you make a comeback, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: Rabbits on the Run (Audio CD)
I more or less had given up on Vanessa after her last album...how wrong I was. This is one of those albums that just gets better with every listening. It is the first time she's ever done such balanced work, not just an irregular collection of songs. A fantastic dreamlike atmosphere flows throughout thanks to the mixing, there is a real concept about how she wants the listener to feel. Her singing is very mellow; since she's never been the greatest singer, she tones it down and makes her voice blend seamlessly with the music. The arrangements finally abandon any pop/rock excesses and overproduction, the lyrics become more personal, the mid tempo prevails for good. Also, no dodgy covers this time...

If like me, you thought she would never fulfill her potential, go on and get the album. Prepare for the most pleasant of surprises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back and better than ever, 26 July 2011
This review is from: Rabbits on the Run (Audio CD)
I have been long anticipating Vanessa Carltons return to music with this her 4th studio album.
I am a huge fan and knowing she had left her label again I was aware we could be left with a long wait for Rabbits on the Run. I think this may be her most personal record yet. In interviews she has talked how she was unsure if she would make another record and it took a lot of soul searching to come to the decision to make this. I think they way she has gone about it, searching out producers and musicians who could help her fulfil her vision for this record has given us these songs that give us a glimpse into her life and her feelings.

Carousel is a lovely little song, very fun and light and talks of loving life and seeing it for the ride that it is. Very enjoyable to listen to.

I Don't Want to be a Bride may be my favourite song. I'm hoping it'll be a single. Its very lyrical and the underlying music has a lovely quality. I have often pondered this subject myself and found it interesting as people usually write about falling in love and getting married so to have her say in a song that this may not be right for everyone was very cool.

London is hauntingly beautiful. Its so very simple but wonderful.

Fair Weathered Friends talks about the struggles she has had with fame the longer she's been in the business. How you have to fight to keep real and not be affected by the people around you, the friends that are only there when the going is good. And the people who are real friends and stick around during the tough times.

Hear the Bells sounds quite surreal, its hard to describe but its a little new agey and nothing like any other song of Vanessas. Her voice goes so well with the music, they go together perfectly.

Dear California I think is the first song of Vanessa that clearly features guitar more than her piano.
This is definitely her love song to the state and the music is very laid back and having been to California I could imagine listening to this driving down a long highway there and it would fit perfectly. This has a slight country feel to it. This is definitely the record that shows the most experiment with her sound.

Tall Tales for Spring takes us back to some great piano playing by Vanessa. It sounds a little more like what we are used to hearing from her. It has some lovely lyrics and shows us Vanessas song writing at its best.

Get Good and we're back to guitars again. This song talks about the struggles in life, how hard it can be to battle through, but how its worth the heard work to get through it, not worry and get good again. Its a very upbeat message that no matter how hard living can be, we'll all get through it and be thankful in the end.

Marching Line is so very unique, I haven't heard anything like this for a long time. Its so simple with a very simple piano in the background. But its also very complex in the lyrics and the storytelling. I think its about stepping up and taking the risks and just going for it. Not always having someone to lead you and you have to just join the marching line and make your own path and not rely on other people to lead the way.

In the End....... finished off this record perfectly, its very scattered in the music, it doesn't flow smoothly and I think that the whole point. I think its about how things don't stay in one piece as they come to an end. They splinter and change into different things I'm sure different people will get different things from all these songs. Thats what I love about good music. You can draw your own things from it, different people will hear different stories being told and feel different things.

You can definably feel the influence of the producer who has worked with Doves in the past, but this blends very well with Vanessa's style. This record really moves forward from her first three and shows her progression so well. There's still the unique Vanessa stamp too it and if I have one criticism it is that I did miss her piano a little. The songs here are a lot different than from her previous work so if you were expecting that then you may have been a little disappointed. But I know that this album was going to be a change in direction and one that I have embraced. Not many artists make the music they believe in any more. They follow whats popular and whats selling. This album may not rake in the big money that some mainstream artists are and I think its a shame that a lot of people may never hear this album because it is a truly remarkable collection of songs that have come from Vanessa's heart. She's very brave to follow up on what she wanted to do and not go along with what is popular in the mainstream and it has left us with what may be the best album I've heard this year and I hope many other people get the same enjoyment and Vanessa Carlton gets the recognition that she deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a comeback for one of the most underrated musician ever, 2 Jan 2013
Cathal Donnelly "Hank info" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rabbits On The Run (MP3 Download)
This album is both elated with beautiful melodies and lyrics of haunting bliss, but then there's the variants in style that switches between them and what we have is a underrated masterpiece by an artist who deserves so much more attention and liberation to create more music similair to the aforementioned Rabbit on the run.

I discerned Vanessa has evidently came across her fair shares of sadness, and she cleverly disguises it within her music, by first inserting juanty and marbling of tunes; that of only Vanessa a true music artist can produce, with her voice which is most suited to these almost child-like themes; are impeccably genius and integrated perfectly to set you and whoever else listens to this record into a mist of stupor. In other words, you'll lose yourself in her music and lyrics - her story. Listen to the samples provided by amazon and I assure you will not be disappointed, the album is reasonably affordable for downaload or physical purchase. Let's give these artist the chance to create more beautiful music

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this, 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: Rabbits on the Run (Audio CD)
having read reviews on this album, i wasn't sure what to expect.
after just one listen i knew this was a good album.
after several months of enthusiastic listening, i have to conclude that this is an excellent cd.
although vanessa has slightly changed her sound to a more indie one, the quality of the songs shines through.
some songs on this album are just very good, others are absolutely beautiful.
there's no doubt in my mind that this cd is an absolute classic and vanessa is a very special song writer.
for anyone who likes any vanessa carlton songs this is a must buy album!

clive from kent

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Era: Breathtaking., 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: Rabbits on the Run (Audio CD)
This has to be one of the most personal records Vanessa's done to date. It's a huge change in direction, and I feel it has benefited Vanessa the most. She describes it to be the most 'honest' production she's ever made, and even said that this feels like her first album!

It's a shame that some people do not tend to music which isn't mainstream because this can go far as an indie-record!

I actually bought this on the day of release, but I feel that it hasn't been exposed enough! It's such an amazing album, and I'm so happy to see her evolve into this shining star she has become! 5 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her Best Yet, 26 July 2011
Miss R. H. Hunt (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rabbits on the Run (Audio CD)
I have always recognised Vanessa for the talent she is and loved her piano based melodies from the beginning. Even though I know she is easier to dismiss in the wider mainstream. People have to admit the girl can seriously play the piano and craft a great melody, I also believe her voice is much underated. These days she seems to more at peace with her own sound and is definately learning how to get the most from her voice as the years go on. I am truly heartened to be able to say that Rabbits on the Run represents a real departure from her previous work and unlike suggestions from certain professional reviews I maintain that this new production team is the most sympathetic to her artistic vision she has ever had. I say the fact that they don't turn every track into commercially viable, radio friendly tracks, (by the industry's standards, I mean - for they are still catchy and memorable tunes) is a really good thing. These songs are better than that! I defy anyone not to find the experimental conceptual funky fresh folky fantasy ethereal gutsy vibe on this album really rebellious and beautiful. That the songs are beautiful and honest should be all that matters surely?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing record, 29 April 2014
Giovannini Pascal (Bern, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rabbits on the Run (Audio CD)
Vanessa Carlton is one of the greatest songwriter of this time. Rabbits on the Run is her finest record with clever lyrics, complex melodies and a great sound. An amazing record...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: Rabbits on the Run (Audio CD)
:) listen to the track samples available on amazon.com for an insight into the great music on this cd. Purchased from an international seller, received very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful album...a thousand miles better than a thousand miles!, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: Rabbits on the Run (Audio CD)
Since Vanessa's first album came out I have had much appreciation for her as an artist. I have bought all her albums and each one shows a huge progression in quality and style. If people hear Vanessa Carlton they may think oh that girl who did a thousand miles, which annoys me coz they haven't heard all her beautiful songs...a thousand miles is in no way one of the best. I'd recommend all her albums, but personally this album for me is the most stunning of them all. I have had it on repeat since i bought it and it gets more beautiful with each play! It is clear she has matured, but in many interviews she has said that this is the sort of thing she's always wanted to do - bloody record companies holding her back. I sure hope she keeps making albums the way she wants to.

All the songs on this album are brilliant, but my favourites would have to be London and The Marching Line. Enjoy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Sep 2014
This review is from: Rabbits on the Run (Audio CD)
This item was delivered promptly and as described :)

Rabbits on the Run
Rabbits on the Run by Vanessa Carlton (Audio CD - 2011)