5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Powertouch
Read very many reviews of the various shavers on the market, and it was almost impossible to find even one that was without criticism, especially the rechargeble versions. I have a rechargeable, but this was a standby for my Philiips, mains powered,which had served me for nearly forty years, but had come to the end of its life.
I bought the Powertouch since it had...
Published on 12 Nov. 2011 by John Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars OK But Far From Excellent
This is a corded shaver, meaning it is not rechargeable, so be sure you know that before you order.

Published on 21 Jun. 2011 by Old Timer

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Powertouch, 12 Nov. 2011
John Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips PT715/17 PowerTouch Shaver
I bought the Powertouch since it had the least number of critics, hoping for the best.
My first thoughts when I powered it up was that it was going too slow compared to my old Philips, and that it would not do the job.
It has proved exactly the opposite. It does a great job, smoothly and without any afterburn, and is almost as good as a wet shave, and better than my old Philips which served me so well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Close Shave With One Main Flaw, 14 July 2011
H. Pierce (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This electric shaver has gone down well with my husband. He has previously used the Philips RQ1180, which is a much higher quality product, but found that this one still performed to a high standard. The shaver was easy to use, quickly producing a good close shave. It is also easy to handle, as the size and shape is well-designed for comfortable use. The PT715 is extremely easy to clean as it is a washable shaver, and due to the corrosion free heads it is likely to wear this type of cleaning well.

The one major flaw that he found with this product is that it comes with no sideburn trimmer. This is less than ideal, but it is marketed as a 'no extras' product, so it is not totally surprising.

Despite this one gripe, the product has performed very well in all other respects. It is a corded shaver, which is important to note, but this can be an advantage for those who habitually shave in one place, near a plug socket. With battery operated shavers you inevitably reach a point where you seem to be continually charging it, due to the rechargeable battery starting to degrade.

So, in summary, it is good quality product, with no extra features, that is capable of giving a good close shave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic budget razor., 10 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I truely cannot fault this excellent shaver. Being a Philips you can be guaranteed that it is fantastic quality and at only £30 at the moment on Amazon this is as good as some of the £80 ones we have tried. It is a powerful razor and almost as close as a wet shave - you can run it under the tap and even though it is powerful it is gentle and despite those with sensitive skin we have no complaints of any shaving rash and it's quite rare for my husband to find a razor he can get along with this is perfect. We've been using it for just over 2 years and it's still going strong - it's quick and leaves you feeling smooth. Highly recommended, you cannot fault this at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Wrong With This, 14 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Philips PT715/17 PowerTouch Shaver
The choice was a Philips or a Remington. I've always bought Philips before, and after reading the reviews I didn't see any reason to change. The only difference was that this is a three-head razor, whereas before I've bought the two-head variety which Philips don't appear to make any more.
I can find no problem with it. No, it's not rechargeable - I don't need it to be. No, it doesn't have a trimmer - I never used the trimmer anyway. The cord isn't elasticated but it's more than long enough, and the shave is as good as any razor I've used. So oi'll give it foive.
The paperwork said I could register my purchase online. I invariably encounter problems when doing this, but I thought I'd give it a go. And the problem soon materialised. The invoice gave the model number PT715/17, but the two choices I was given to select on the website were PT715/15 and PT715/16. I decided to click on 'Contact us' and ask for advice on how to proceed. I got an email saying 'thanks for contacting Philips Australia' and giving me an address in Guildford Surrey to write to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Close shave from a corded shaver, 17 Nov. 2011
Ayami "Ayami" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Compared to a rechargeable shaver, the Philips Powertouch PT715 Electric Shaver certainly has its advantages in that the being a corded shaver, it's not one where the battery constantly needs charging but at the same time you do have to be in a room where it can easily be used. This can cause problems if taking it on holiday (or indeed your own home) as the plug may not be close to a mirror to see what you're doing.

The Powertouch performs well giving a close shave with its flexible head and without irritating the skin. It's easy to clean but is a no-fills shaver. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars I could be converted, 19 Jun. 2011
E. L. Wisty "World Domination League" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My attitude to electric razors has always matched that of Hancock: "You can't beat the cold steel and the badger. All this electrical rubbish, little wheels spinning around all over the place, for callow youths and peach fluff, not for a man's beard. Razor blades, for men!"

Having not shaved for a couple of days, possibly three (a not uncommon occurrence for me), when this arrived enabled me to go directly into my first test; I've never used an electric shaver before which has been able to cope with this scenario without continual painful catching and just not shaving close at all.

I did use a couple of drops of Somersets shaving oil, which perhaps made a difference compared to earlier experiences, but I was quite pleasantly surprised by both the smoothness of the ride and just how close was the shave - still not quite as smooth as the cold steel and badger, but a huge improvement over anything I have tried before. It did struggle a bit on the neck under the chin, requiring the skin to be held quite taut in order to shave closely, which did make it a bit sore there afterwards.

The acid test is to do a wet shave afterwards to see how much more comes off. A smoother result was obtained afterwards of course, but there was noticeably less stubble in the sink than when I have done such an experiment in the past.

The next test then is to evaluate it 24 hours after the last close shave with a blade. In this scenario electric razors I have used before hardly seem to make a great deal of impact, not being able to get much purchase on such short hairs. This seems to be significantly better than any previous electric I have tried on that front, although it took a bit more time to re-do each area of skin a few times to get an acceptable result than it did after the two days' growth. It's still not as close as a blade of course, but certainly passable.

The cleaning brush included is a bit pathetically small, but the device claims to be fully washable. The power cord is a little bit fiddly to insert into the shaver.

Clearly electric shaving technology has moved on - this could almost make me a convert. Pity it's a corded model rather than a rechargeable, otherwise I would make more use of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Shaver, 14 July 2011
L. M. Davis "tgnipper" (Derby) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got hold of this through Amazon Vine as was in desperate need of a new shaver since my old one's battery gave up the ghost and died. Didnt realise at the time it was a corder shaver (the first "big pic" you see is a bit misleading as they have seeming "cropped" the power cord off). This left me with a bit of a dilemma as I dont have a 2 pin plug socket in my house anywhere!

Anyway, I dug out my 2 to 3 pin adapter and it works fine. Its actually a great device - shaves feel close and clean and the device is entirely washable which is a great bonus. Its a light device so easy to take away and fits in your hand very comfortably. For the price point and the shave it provides, I wouldnt have a moments hesitation in recommending it.

In some ways it will last longer than my previous 2 cordless shavers as the batteries in them didnt last as long as I expected and they cost 4-5 times as much as this one. Battery death is something I wont have to worry about going forwards now - just be wary of the fact it is corded with a 2 pin plug and make arrangements for an adapter if you dont have a shaving socket!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job..., 23 Jun. 2011
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good and worthwhile product as most by Phillips are. It is well styled and attractive to the eye and follows the three rotary blade format that Phillips seem to favour. The shave is good and clean but not the very best I have experienced. It is a mains operated device and works on any voltage between 110-240 and so could be used when travelling if needed. It has a fully washable head and can easily be rinsed under the tap, no need for the washing bays and special fluids that some flashier razors demand.

Not much else to say. This is not the sort of item to enthuse over, it just works well and gets the job done with a minimum of fuss and bother

The Good
Shaves well
Easy to clean and maintain
Attractive styling
Works internationally on any voltage

The Bad
Mains only operation
Workmanlike with lack of wow factor
No travel case supplied

5.0 out of 5 stars electric shaver, 22 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Philips PT715/17 PowerTouch Shaver
I telphoned Philips for advice, explaining what type of electric shaver was required for my husband. The person I spoke to was extremely helpful so I then looked on Amazon's website for the one he recommended and ordered it. Very pleased with the razor so it was well worth the time spent.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK But Far From Excellent, 21 Jun. 2011
Old Timer (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Shavers are very personal things, and what works well for one man may be hopeless for another. Although the marketing jargon has changed, if you've used a Philips rotary shaver in the last 50 years you will find this a very familiar product. I have an old man's very tough beard, and it produced acceptable results for me, but not outstanding, and it seems dreadfully slow to use. The PT715 is the bottom of the Powertouch range, and is not supplied with any form of pouch, which is a bit of let-down.

Overall I would not rate the PT715 as a particularly good buy.

Philips PT715/17 PowerTouch Shaver