5.0 out of 5 stars Are these any good for starting astronomy?
Maybe, like me, you're looking for binoculars for astronomy but don't know much about astronomy yet and are just starting out? You might also be wondering "if I buy them what will I actually see"? I've written this review to try and tell you (wish someone had done this for me).

Published 23 months ago by The Buzz

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price. A real bargain?
These binoculars are suprisingly well made for the price. They work well and give a good clear image. Mine had a couple bits of plastic on the inside of the lenses (easily removed). They work well, look the part and do not feel cheap. I would have prefered hard plastic type lens caps instead of the rubber type that came with them because to me the rubber type feel cheap &...
Published on 24 Oct 2011 by GaZaR

5.0 out of 5 stars Are these any good for starting astronomy?, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Serious user 10x50 binoculars with fully coated optics for all uses including birdwatching, astronomy, sports and wildlife. 10 x 50 high power magnification. Comes with case, lens caps, strap, cloth and warranty. (Electronics)

You, like me, probably keep reading that you should buy the best you can afford and people talk about spending at least £75 on anything "worthwhile". Maybe I'm a cheapskate but, I thought, for this price, I'd try these first and upgrade if I had to. If this sounds like the decision you're trying to make then I'd say these are great value for money and "good enough" for a rank amateur astronomy starter like me.

Look, I don't know about barrel distortion or chromatic aberration or what have you. I was just trying to work out if I should pay £100 for 10x50 bins or get these low price ones and figure you (the reader) might be making that decision too. No doubt people more expert than I would complain about them and they don't instill too much confidence when they arrive, perhaps, but I can see crisp images of moon craters and if I mount them on a tripod (see bottom of review) I can even convince myself I've seen Jupiter's moon's. I can definitely see the Orion nebula (hey, look, it really isn't just a star) and the Pleiades simply pop out at you (so many stars in one place). OK, so the Andromeda galaxy is still just a smudge but it's a definite "something that looks like an oval mini-cloud" not a "have I seen it or not" averted gaze "wisp".

Am I pleased with them? Yes I am. Would I recommend them to you? Yes I would.

Do I think I'll grow out of them and want something more in 3 to 6 months? No, don't think I will.

Will I grow out of them and want more in a year or so? Yes, I'll probably get a telescope if I've still "got the astronomy bug", but I'll have seen loads of stuff by then for much less than spending £100+ and, if I don't "get the astronomy bug" then I've not spent a fortune and can use them for bird-watching and sports (also impressive for that too)...

Footnote on tripod mounting: You will need to buy an L-adaptor but they do have a tripod mounting screw socket to use one with - wasn't clear from the pictures so thought I'd pass that on

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, much better than expected., 22 Aug 2013
I decided on this product largely because the reviews were mostly very positive and the price was very low for this type of item. I was concerned that there may be parallax issues (where one lens points in a slightly different direction to the other causing a doubling of the image). Small amounts of parallax are common with binoculars, particularly in the lower price range. I cannot detect the slightest amount of this - quality and accuracy of build has to be very good to get no detectable parallax. I was also concerned that image resolution may be poor, or that there may be some peripheral distortion. However, the optics show no sign of this at all. Again, it takes good quality of build and precise optical alignment to get this level of image clarity and lack of distortion. The lenses are also coated which ensures good clarity and contrast. Overall, I am extremely impressed with the optical performance of these binoculars, I would have expected to pay 3 to 4 times the price for this level of quality. The delivery was also quick, ordered on Friday and delivered the following Monday morning.

However, there were a couple of very minor things that could have been better. The 4 lens caps are a bit flimsy. The neck strap and the case shoulder strap are both a few cm too short, but just about adequate. The case therefore hangs under the elbow rather than on the hip, and the binoculars hang a little too close to the chin rather than the lower chest area. Small issues though, and alternative straps are readily available and are not at all expensive.

Overall, I am very impressed with the product and with the service. I would highly recommend this item and one should not be alarmed at the low price. They have a magnification of 10x, which is about as high as you want for handheld use, but they can also be mounted on a tripod for steadier viewing. They have 50mm objective lenses which is about the maximum I would choose for handheld use, any larger they can become too heavy. I am very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Price, 27 July 2012
Bought these for my partner, she loves them. Well made and come with a handy soft case with shoulder strap. Great for bird watching and ship spotting which she loves. A great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars watching, 29 Jun 2011
Mr. A. Robinson (UK) - See all my reviews
the item was better than expected and came in time for a trip away.Going to the seaside I was able to get closer look at shipping. Clear view even at low light. Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars good buy, 23 July 2012
Miss L. McQuirk (manchester uk) - See all my reviews
these were bought as a gift for stargazing use. I was a bit concerned as the product leaflet does not mention stargazing although on the amazon description this was clearly stated, however they have been very successful for this purpose and satelites and all sorts have been spotted in the night sky through these binoculars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners bird watchers, 6 July 2011
I bought these for my son, who has recently taken to bird watching. They are absolutely great! Easy to calibrate, not too heavy, and comes with a very handy bag to carry them around. All in all, a good buy for a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to use these binoculars, 9 July 2012
I read the other reviews from buyers of these binoculars and they were spot on. Really good value, light to carry (for this spec) and gives a clear, light view. I have spent more money in the past for a lower standard of porduct.

5.0 out of 5 stars Binoculars, 22 Feb 2013
Fantastic. Can't believe I could get such good quality bins for such a low price. Excellent magnification and pin sharp clarity. Everyone should have a pair of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cheap tool for star watching., 9 Jan 2014
At first I should clarify that I live in London.
For those who live in big cities, they know how hard it is to watch stars due to high light pollution.
You can only see few, and only late night, and only if your neighbours wont be using all their lights at home.

Once this binoculars arrived, we couldn't wait for clear sky at night.
And when that happened,and when I finally looked up... my jaw dropped.

Just with this simple little tool, you can see so much even in big city.
All of a sudden, we saw hundreds or even thousand of stars, just as I always remembers it from childhood, while growing in small town. (Yes I know there's lots of stars there. You just don't see them in London)

Binoculars holds very well in hands, easy to get clear focus on a target.
If you know where to look, you can see Andromeda Galaxy with them (as a smudge, but still...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelieveable price and quality, 2 Oct 2012
Got these binoculars for my husbands birthday and thought as they were so cheap would not be good quality, but he was so pleased with them and they are very good quality and work wonderfully. very pleased and would highly reccommend them.