5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
I had no interest in this game preparing myself for Gears of War 3, Batman, COD, Battlefield and the new Assassins Creed and Dues Ex was sacrificed due to funds, my friends were all talking about it but I really couldn't see why. Then something I never expected happened. I read a review where it got 10/10 in a magazine, next day I went out and got it, and it is...
Published on 17 Sept. 2011 by bananaman

3.0 out of 5 stars Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex is a good game. It could have been even better if there weren't any boss battles though. The 'Missing Link DLC' is also worth getting too. Anyone thinking of buying this game should be warned - Don't try and complete the game with only a silenced pistol. For 95% of the game this is possible, but the bosses will chew you up and spit you out time and time again. I...
Published on 20 Nov. 2011 by Matthew Shire

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Gem, 14 Feb. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Definitely an underrated game. I think it sold fairly poorly, which is why the price plummeted fast well within a month. Not that it bothered me mind you, because that was the sole reason I snapped it up so fast. Glad I did though, as it has a subtle killer futuristic soundtrack (very foreboding) and a dark, mysterious atmospheric setting. I loved the whole stealth element, and I am someone who normally likes to play games in the style of 'all-guns-blazing'. Personally, I thought this was a better game than the Mass Effect games, both 1 and 2 installments. Inferior graphics perhaps, but superior storyline, setting and art design, choices, and characters. It's not without its flaws (boss fights spring to mind - I quickly resorted to web guides easy solution for each one), and long loading times, especially for a modern game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to get back to the world of conspiracy theories and human augmentation., 3 Oct. 2011
Liam Wilson - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is a good game. The general style is similar to a sepia tinted bladerunner. The game play has similarities to previous episodes in the series with most goals achievable using multiple means (stealth, hacking, hand to hand, or all guns blazing). The only major issues are that some of the level bosses are tacked on and haven't been properly introduced through the story, a reliance on information from hacked computers to keep the game flowing, and the fact that particularly in earlier levels the skills of your character make it worth your while to use a stealth style play but then the boss battles can only be completed with assault tactics which can be frustrating.
The ending was also a little underwhelming but the game was a good play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning - Game of the Year, 26 Aug. 2011
A. Burton (Up me bum on second shelf) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
So my copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (on Xbox 360) arrives a day early, two quick phone calls later and I've got the day off work and my mate's come over with some beers. We proceed to blast through the first 15 hours of the game in one sitting and first impressions are that it's amazing. To anyone who's played the first Deus Ex on the PC this will feel like a natural progression, it's just like the original, but thankfully the graphics, interface and presentation have been dragged, kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. Everything in Human Revolution has that familiar Tech-noir feel to it, and yet it all looks and sounds so good.

The combat is tough but fair and very enjoyable, you have to use cover or you'll end up dead more often than not. Weapons sound and feel powerful whilst looking impressively massive. The combat in most modern shooters bores me but I can see myself playing through the game at least once more because there are just so many options when it comes to taking down your enemies, stun gun, tranquilliser darts, melee combat, silenced pistols, assault weapons, heavy weapons, explosives, mines. When you add the augmentations on top of this, I can see people having very different gameplay experiences.

In the original Deus Ex, once you found an augmentation cannister laying around you had to find a Med-bot to install your new body upgrades. Now it's more like levelling up, every 5000 points means a new augmentation point to spend, just go to your augmentation page and put the point into anything you want. Each level-up resulted in my friend and I agonising over the potential options here, some are no-brainers like heath regeneration and armour but others will make you think long and hard before upgrading. A couple of the boss fights are pretty tough, but all I'll say is there are patterns you have to spot, following them will lead to success.

The plot, you can discover for yourself, but suffice to say it's similar to the first, touching on socio-political themes, conspiracy theories and the likes. For fans of the original this game feels like coming home, for new players, it's going to be a very welcome introduction into the world of Deus Ex, filled with choices, great combat, stealth, freedom and a very high level of polish. This is an essential purchase!

Now I need to go eat and sleep......

5.0 out of 5 stars Slick, 24 Nov. 2011
J. Clarke "Alright Sally" (England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Several years have passed since Invisible War was released, rated game of the year by many early on with good reason, just like its predecessor and Eidos have yet again delivered. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a breath of fresh air amongst some of the more basic dreary eyed first person shooters. So much so it doesn't feel like an fps at all. Perhaps its because you spend a large amount of time exploring rather than shooting and switching to a 3rd person view every now and again to hide behind and roll to various objects as cover. Whilst it doesn't boast the best combat system, it does give you choice between the stealthy approach and guns blazing combat. Most of the time though, discretion (along with patience) is rewarded as there are some situations that need to be thought out methodically. Right from the word go, Deus Ex entices you with its decent graphics and sublime environments. The surroundings may not be large but are anything but linear, what with all the little ally ways, fire escapes and of course ventilation shafts (a deus ex trademark). Whilst the augmentations are limited and skills system is a thing of a past long forgotten, the aug's remain intriguing and make the gameplay easier and more diverse, safe to say there aren't many strewn about.

What makes this game a worthy buy/play is that the gameplay is so open that it adapts to your play style, instead of always forcing you to play the way the game wants you to. A good example of this was something that happened in my first play-through..

..A couple hours into the game, once the intro, training and starter mission are all done, you are given a new task to enter a heavily secured building. I tried the open approach hoping to get in by talking, persuading the desk clerk but no cigar. Found several promising ladders and entrances... all beyond my reach behind tall fences that I didn't have the aug's to take on. What to do? I stormed the place. Killed every single person in that building. It was incredibly difficult but rewarded me with all sorts of points for head-shots etc and weapons and ammo galore.

Now that wasn't the best thing to do morally and in terms of some of the storyline, but thats just it, the game let me get away with it. No invincible people, no bounty on my head, almost no punishment at all, just a drawn out firefight and the game goes on. Of course second play-throughs show how silly I was to take part in that massacre, when simple solutions where hidden away but available. Negatives are that if you play the game solid, it won't last more than a couple of days and its a shame that there aren't more locations in the game (Detroit and Hengsha are extremely well designed) also as many people mention, the boss fights are a bit out of place and demand endless gunfire. After a handful of new game saves, I got everything out of the game and sure enough the DLC came out a week later, 1200 MS points, no thanks but nice to know its there. So its the open nature of the game that makes it so brilliant yet, so many subtleties that give it that nice finishing touch, from Final Fantasy 27 posters to the guy whistling the invisible war theme tune in the dark alleys, yes Deus Ex: Human Revolution deserves credit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great great great game, 18 Oct. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have been waiting for this title a long time as it had the stealth elements which i love. So after playing for 2 hours i found out that the stealth is amazing in this game and you could play the whole game without killing anyone( apart from the bosses), that is amazing.Graphically it is beautiful and polished. Also the game is quite long and will last about 20- 25 hrs but it depend how you play and how you handle the rpg. This is now my favourite game and overtook batman arkham asylum. so buy this game if you want a good adventure and stealth experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars badass game, 27 Sept. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I love Jenson he has become my fav character ever, due to his moral ways and perfect batman sounding voice.

The game plays beautifully although I never played the first Deus ex but did love and enjoy invisible war, its sequel, which many despise (I enjoyed invisible war way more than this game btw)

I believe this game is a great way to start a new Deus ex game series, I played the game through twice, first more stealthy and slow, exploring and being sneaky which was fun all the time, so many ways and factors to enable you to play.
Second time I played as a straight up shooter and the game wasn't the same, it was like a totally different experience, so play as you like.

I would say trying not to kill people unless necessary and exploring and slowly making your journey makes it worth while as in more xp, fun with gadgets and take-downs, as playing as a straight shooter limits in a little way.

fun things:- little bits like over hearing peoples conversations, and finding new ways in or out of places, and deciding how to approach a situation is clever, this game is no where near perfect but its close in my opinion.

I wont play the dlc as I prefer to be playing Skyrim and i'm poor lol.

Overall the game is beautiful, well thought through, multiple ways to play and re playability is always nice, characters are interesting and Jenson makes you the player always no matter what you do feel like a badass, even when you die.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Simply Incredible!, 16 Nov. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Before I begin this review I must say that this game will not cater to everyones needs, if you're not very patient and don't like stealth games and would rather go in guns blazing then this game is not for you otherwise it is an absoloutely amazing game!

I had been eagerly awaiting this game since long before it's release date and I've not played any of the other Deus Ex games but you don't necessarily have to anyway as this is the prequel to the first Deus Ex game.

The game play and graphics are absoloutely amazing this is a perfect blend of Action & RPG if like me you love stealth games like Tenchu, MGS & Splinter Cell don't hesitate buy this!

The story can become quite complex at times but it is so immersive and deep, it is one of those games that in my opinion will leave a lasting impression on you and you'll be asking yourself questions at the end, there're various ways to play through the game you can get through the entire game without killing a single person if you're stealthy enough or you can tie in both the stealth and action elements for a truly satisfying gaming experience, I have completed this game about 6 times now and I am still not bored of it.

This for me is definitely one of the the top contenders for Game of the Year 2011, and if you like games such as Arkham City/Asylum and Assasins Creed you will love this!

10/10 an absolute must!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game with a weak ending, 28 Dec. 2013
I was never into the first Deus Ex games as they seemed to be a bit too involved for me but the amazing trailers for this instalment looked too good to pass up. If you're into science fiction it's a great story where everything isn't as it may seem and there is no good or bad - just shades of grey. The multiple ways to play let you tune your style of play - get around problems using cunning, a fast mouth, hacking or with guns blazing or any mixture you like. Many people have mentioned the boss fights are being a let down and I agree that given the freedom of the rest of the game affords you having to adapt to the guns-blazing method for these sections seems a bit odd. I believe that the 'director's cut' version of the game sorts this problem out but I haven't played that version. For me the main problem is that the final level of the game is very dull. There are no real enemies to deal with and the few that are there can easily be subdued by your levelled up augmentations. It's very sad as it feels like the programmers ran out of time a bit (I've heard another level was removed from the game for time reasons). However, given the hours of entertainment you will get from most of the game (especially the Hengsha levels and military base levels) I can forgive this. Here's hoping another title will be forthcoming!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 29 Aug. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I honestly can't remember ever having had this much fun playing a game. I'm a big fan of RPGs like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect so I pre-ordered this, and I have to say this surpasses them both.

This game is actually very difficult to categorise, it is basically an intelligent hybrid of a stealth game, a first person shooter and an RPG, with hacking and dialogue mini-games thrown in for good measure. But what makes the game so unique is its sense of freedom. Every situation you encounter can be resolved in a variety of ways, and unlike almost all other games you aren't forced into going down any one path. For example it is possible to complete the game without killing anyone except a few bosses (there is actually an achievement for it), but it is equally possible to kill hundreds of people, as there are only a few key NPCs the game won't let you harm.

There is no multi-player in this game, but the single player game is huge. You might be able to complete it in 20 hours if you just ran through the main story and didn't bother with exploration or side quests, but if you are playing stealthily and exploring it can take a lot longer (I am nearly 30 hours in and still have a long way to go). Most of the game takes place in two hub areas which you visit multiple times for the main quest and side quests, while there are also other areas you visit to complete missions. In terms of size each hub is larger than the Citadel in Mass Effect, but the game is not as large a true sandbox game like Fallout 3.

Of the main pillars of game play the best is probably stealth. There is pretty much always a way to sneak past your enemies, although without lots of Augmentations it is quite challenging and requires patience. Still when you do succeed it is very satisfying, and the game actually awards extra experience points for accomplishing objectives without being seen. There are also lots of hidden alternate routes to objectives, although this sometimes involves crawling through a few too many air vents.

The combat is also very good, although anyone expecting this to be a Call of Duty clone will be disappointed. In this game enemies are very good shots with good AI and will kill you in a couple of hits. There is also limited ammunition available. This means even on normal difficulty you need to use cover and pick off enemies carefully, not just run through with all guns blazing. There are a lot of different weapons, all of which work pretty well and all of which can be upgraded with a variety of Mods.

The RPG element of this game works slightly differently to other games. As you gain experience points you don't go up levels, rather you unlock Augmentations (Augs). There about 70 of these in total, and they alter the game in a variety of ways. There are plenty of hacking Augs, stealth Augs which do things like turn you invisible, and combat Augs which make you tougher or deadlier. As well as these there are a variety of new abilities to gain like punching through walls or falling without taking damage that allow you to take alternate paths through the game. Because it is not possible to get all of these Augs in one playthrough there is a lot of replay value in this game.

The hacking mini-game also deserves a mention, as it is by far the best hacking found in any game. As well as being a race against time to access a computer or lock, you have to decide whether to gamble for extra rewards. In fact the hacking is so good I find I even try to hack locks that I have the password for. The dialogue mini-game is also pretty good, if a little too easy. There are occasions where you can try to persuade people to help you by choosing the right one of three dialogue options based on their personality. It is a little bit like LA Noire although the facial animations are not as good.

The main story seems pretty good so far, and is concerned with corporate conspiracies and asks you to make choices about how you feel about the ethics of human Augmentation (both sides of the argument are presented fairly). The choices you make in the game and the route you take have effects on the game like in any good RPG. The side quests are also impressive. Instead of the standard fetch quests in too many RPGs, in Human Revolution the side quests are all quite long and most either relate to the main story or to the debate about Augs.

Of course even a great game has a few flaws. The loading times can be a little long, especially since you will probably die often. There are a few bugs in the AI, such as when enemies can't see you if you are in a vent. The only real major problem though is the boss fights. While the biggest strength of this game is the freedom to solve any challenge however you choose, there are a few times when you are for forced into a fight with a boss that you are required to kill. These fights are no worse than what you find in other games, but they don't really fit in a game that is all about freedom of choice.

If you are only interested in generic FPS games then maybe this is not for you. But if you enjoy RPGs, stealth games or just want to play something original this is one of, if not the best game on the market right now. You should buy this not just because its great fun, but because if it sells well it might encourage more developers to take risks on intelligent original games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Good, Thoroughly Played!, 29 Nov. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Have played this game to bits and have finally thought of doing a review.

I love this game, I generally love any game which allows an evolving plot and customization. There are plot choices which affect how the mission goes (i.e. will someone give you information required, will killing so enemies allow a person to live). The augmentations were one of the reasons for getting this as you can set up your Adam Jenson the way you want. There are many options to augment like turret hacking and stealth capabilities to melee and armour upgrades.

One of the first upgrades I myself always get is the Typhoon extension it really helps in getting rid of the bosses.

Graphics as you would expect from Square Enix are amazing and the world detail is truly staggering. There are plenty of side-quests that keep the story going an allow for a rest if you want to take a break from main missions.

Have played this game so much i practically know how to evade all the guards and other traps, haven't got the foxiest of hounds (where you don't set off one alarm).

A game that just makes me keep going back for the truly amazing story and augmentation tree. A must buy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)