5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning

3.0 out of 5 stars Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Published on 20 Nov 2011 by Matthew Shire

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 17 Sep 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I had no interest in this game preparing myself for Gears of War 3, Batman, COD, Battlefield and the new Assassins Creed and Dues Ex was sacrificed due to funds, my friends were all talking about it but I really couldn't see why. Then something I never expected happened. I read a review where it got 10/10 in a magazine, next day I went out and got it, and it is stunning.

The game is all about the Augmentations your charecter can improve himself with, you start with just the basics (you HUD and basic radar) which is all well and good. Within a couple of hours I had played and thought "this is ok". The graphics are excellent and moody, voice acting was solid and the gameplay was smooth and challenging. However fairly quickly I was finding I was struggling to get anywhere wihtout entering a firefight or just dying. I turned the game off and went back to it the next day and then it all came together.

I did what the game wanted me to do but I was being too stupid too see it first play, I explored the world around me, and I mean I explored everywhere, and it pays off, sneaking around and avoiding combat has never been so satisfying, rewarding and plain brilliant fun.

And that is where this game gets it's brilliant score for me. It could have been a first person shooter where you improve your charecter and blow stuff up and kill things. All well and good but nothing special or different there, but it's not that at all. It rewards exploration and imagination to get to your desired goals.

I will say for the odd mission I did mess up the exploration and end up having a big firefight and that was a lot of fun and broke up the sneaking around nicely, but a game where it gives a 100 point achievement for completing the whole game for not setting off a single alarm (which I didn't get (damn!)) knows it has made exploration an important and fun way to play.

I will now stop rambling and get to the point a bit more.

Graphically this game is one of the best

Gameplay is just so massively engaging, I was playing for 8-9 hours solid, and you just don't do that with games that are not fun to play, I have no higher praise for it than I was utterly hooked once I work out what this game wanted me to do.

Length- I have no idea how long my full game was but when I finished it I didn't feel cheated, or dissapointed, it was spot on.

The voice acting was good, along with the fantastic story which takes a completly new line in story, I was compelled throughout and loved it, the way you could affect your game by even the tinyest action added something to every conversation you had as I never once felt I just could press any button and move with the story, what I said mattered. There are even better examples of your choices affecting you but I won't spoil the excellent story for anyone.

However I have now got to come to the negative bits of the review, and its a very short section:

I did not enjoy the boss fights, of which there are several. And it was purely because winning them was shooting someone as much as possible, which they had to do in the game, but I just desperatly wanted to get back to sneaking around!

I think my ramble there covers it. Basically Dues Ex was a game I was going to miss out and I am delighted to say I didn't, I fully expect at the end of the year I will look back and say this was the best game I played this year alongside Dead Space 2.

Hope this helps anyone if they are undecided. But trust me, I bought this on the strength of a review, and I regret it not 1 bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had no idea what to expect, but was blown away., 3 Oct 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I had very little idea what to expect when I began playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I barely knew anything about it, or the previous games in the series (don't worry, Human Revolution is a prequel and requires no knowledge of the first two entries), but the good things I'd heard from friends had me intrigued.

What I got was one of the richest gameplay experiences I've had in a long time. The plot: a mystery-fuelled sci-fi thriller that genuinely had me hooked from start to finish. The gameplay: a fully-functional first and third-person shooter, or a tense stealth-espionage game. Unlike many games that offer players this kind of choice, though in practice only consider one of those options to be the 'correct' way of playing, it actually works here. Finally, the world: multiple cities and top-secret complexes rich in atmosphere and packed with side quests and hidden extras.

Think Metal Gear Solid, with two major differences: the plot is actually comprehensible and isn't shoved in your face every 5 minutes, and the shooting is actually a viable option if stealth isn't your thing.

Do yourself a favour, take a gamble on this, you won't regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Deus Ex: Human Revolution, 20 Nov 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Deus Ex is a good game. It could have been even better if there weren't any boss battles though. The 'Missing Link DLC' is also worth getting too. Anyone thinking of buying this game should be warned - Don't try and complete the game with only a silenced pistol. For 95% of the game this is possible, but the bosses will chew you up and spit you out time and time again. I played the game for 16 hours exploring and hacking everything, watching patrol routes and taking down enemies without being noticed, only to reach the first boss and discover that he is a walking tank (and you can't do 'takedown' moves on bosses). Needless to say I NEEDED to restart the game.

Overall, the main gameplay is great if you like to plan before acting. A real thinking person's game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes a bit of getting used to, 21 Oct 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This game is not COD. If you go in guns blazing, you'll die. To start with, I almost gave up. Just getting down one of the stair cases near the beginning was nigh on impossible. Until I thought "I've always wanted a game where if you get shot, you die (unlike COD etc.)" Once you realise this game is it, things become a lot better.

It takes patience and a lot of sneaking around. You need to hide, use ducts to avoid areas, work out where you need to go (you even need to use the map!). If you're like me, you'll spend a lot of time waiting for the enemy to walk passed, so that you can knock them cold - all good stuff. Of course there are moments, when you think "What the hell, I'm going to blast the **** out of some people" You can do this, you just need to be careful, have an escape route or somewhere to hide when it all goes pear shaped.

There's a good augmentation system allowing you to upgrades all parts of your body as you progress, adding a good bit of gameplay to the game, e.g. smashing through walls, jumping high.

This game is also long. Possibly because you do spend so long waiting around. If you're not patient, you won't like this game. If you like sneaking games, or ones where you actually have to think, then get it and stick with it. It justs get better and better and you become quite addicted to it.

So why only 4 stars?

There's not a great deal of change in scenery - it's all a bit brown. When I went from Detroit (miserable brown and dark) to Shanghai, I thought things would brighten up - nope, still miserable brown. Think GOW but brown. Perhaps a bit of colour like Crysis 2 would have been nice.

Also, mostly the AI is pretty good (if a little on the preset-pattern side). But sometimes they are just so thick; Shoot someone, go into an office with no way out, get followed by several people, hide under the only piece of furniture in the room, they all wander round saying stupid things, then a few seconds later they wander off. It doesn't occur to them to look in the only place I could possibly be. Of course, the game would have been 10 times harder if they did.

It's also a shame that most of the "alternative routes" were thought air-com ducts. A bit more variety would have been nice (there's the odd pipe to go through but that's about it).

I hope this helps. Don't let the negatives put you off. The AI flaws actually become part of your strategy. You do really need to think about this game a fair bit. Give it a go if you fancy something different, I don't think you'll regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning - Game of the Year, 26 Aug 2011
A. Burton (Up me bum on second shelf) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
So my copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (on Xbox 360) arrives a day early, two quick phone calls later and I've got the day off work and my mate's come over with some beers. We proceed to blast through the first 15 hours of the game in one sitting and first impressions are that it's amazing. To anyone who's played the first Deus Ex on the PC this will feel like a natural progression, it's just like the original, but thankfully the graphics, interface and presentation have been dragged, kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. Everything in Human Revolution has that familiar Tech-noir feel to it, and yet it all looks and sounds so good.

The combat is tough but fair and very enjoyable, you have to use cover or you'll end up dead more often than not. Weapons sound and feel powerful whilst looking impressively massive. The combat in most modern shooters bores me but I can see myself playing through the game at least once more because there are just so many options when it comes to taking down your enemies, stun gun, tranquilliser darts, melee combat, silenced pistols, assault weapons, heavy weapons, explosives, mines. When you add the augmentations on top of this, I can see people having very different gameplay experiences.

In the original Deus Ex, once you found an augmentation cannister laying around you had to find a Med-bot to install your new body upgrades. Now it's more like levelling up, every 5000 points means a new augmentation point to spend, just go to your augmentation page and put the point into anything you want. Each level-up resulted in my friend and I agonising over the potential options here, some are no-brainers like heath regeneration and armour but others will make you think long and hard before upgrading. A couple of the boss fights are pretty tough, but all I'll say is there are patterns you have to spot, following them will lead to success.

The plot, you can discover for yourself, but suffice to say it's similar to the first, touching on socio-political themes, conspiracy theories and the likes. For fans of the original this game feels like coming home, for new players, it's going to be a very welcome introduction into the world of Deus Ex, filled with choices, great combat, stealth, freedom and a very high level of polish. This is an essential purchase!

Now I need to go eat and sleep......

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 29 Aug 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I honestly can't remember ever having had this much fun playing a game. I'm a big fan of RPGs like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect so I pre-ordered this, and I have to say this surpasses them both.

This game is actually very difficult to categorise, it is basically an intelligent hybrid of a stealth game, a first person shooter and an RPG, with hacking and dialogue mini-games thrown in for good measure. But what makes the game so unique is its sense of freedom. Every situation you encounter can be resolved in a variety of ways, and unlike almost all other games you aren't forced into going down any one path. For example it is possible to complete the game without killing anyone except a few bosses (there is actually an achievement for it), but it is equally possible to kill hundreds of people, as there are only a few key NPCs the game won't let you harm.

There is no multi-player in this game, but the single player game is huge. You might be able to complete it in 20 hours if you just ran through the main story and didn't bother with exploration or side quests, but if you are playing stealthily and exploring it can take a lot longer (I am nearly 30 hours in and still have a long way to go). Most of the game takes place in two hub areas which you visit multiple times for the main quest and side quests, while there are also other areas you visit to complete missions. In terms of size each hub is larger than the Citadel in Mass Effect, but the game is not as large a true sandbox game like Fallout 3.

Of the main pillars of game play the best is probably stealth. There is pretty much always a way to sneak past your enemies, although without lots of Augmentations it is quite challenging and requires patience. Still when you do succeed it is very satisfying, and the game actually awards extra experience points for accomplishing objectives without being seen. There are also lots of hidden alternate routes to objectives, although this sometimes involves crawling through a few too many air vents.

The combat is also very good, although anyone expecting this to be a Call of Duty clone will be disappointed. In this game enemies are very good shots with good AI and will kill you in a couple of hits. There is also limited ammunition available. This means even on normal difficulty you need to use cover and pick off enemies carefully, not just run through with all guns blazing. There are a lot of different weapons, all of which work pretty well and all of which can be upgraded with a variety of Mods.

The RPG element of this game works slightly differently to other games. As you gain experience points you don't go up levels, rather you unlock Augmentations (Augs). There about 70 of these in total, and they alter the game in a variety of ways. There are plenty of hacking Augs, stealth Augs which do things like turn you invisible, and combat Augs which make you tougher or deadlier. As well as these there are a variety of new abilities to gain like punching through walls or falling without taking damage that allow you to take alternate paths through the game. Because it is not possible to get all of these Augs in one playthrough there is a lot of replay value in this game.

The hacking mini-game also deserves a mention, as it is by far the best hacking found in any game. As well as being a race against time to access a computer or lock, you have to decide whether to gamble for extra rewards. In fact the hacking is so good I find I even try to hack locks that I have the password for. The dialogue mini-game is also pretty good, if a little too easy. There are occasions where you can try to persuade people to help you by choosing the right one of three dialogue options based on their personality. It is a little bit like LA Noire although the facial animations are not as good.

The main story seems pretty good so far, and is concerned with corporate conspiracies and asks you to make choices about how you feel about the ethics of human Augmentation (both sides of the argument are presented fairly). The choices you make in the game and the route you take have effects on the game like in any good RPG. The side quests are also impressive. Instead of the standard fetch quests in too many RPGs, in Human Revolution the side quests are all quite long and most either relate to the main story or to the debate about Augs.

Of course even a great game has a few flaws. The loading times can be a little long, especially since you will probably die often. There are a few bugs in the AI, such as when enemies can't see you if you are in a vent. The only real major problem though is the boss fights. While the biggest strength of this game is the freedom to solve any challenge however you choose, there are a few times when you are for forced into a fight with a boss that you are required to kill. These fights are no worse than what you find in other games, but they don't really fit in a game that is all about freedom of choice.

If you are only interested in generic FPS games then maybe this is not for you. But if you enjoy RPGs, stealth games or just want to play something original this is one of, if not the best game on the market right now. You should buy this not just because its great fun, but because if it sells well it might encourage more developers to take risks on intelligent original games.

4.0 out of 5 stars A game about giving you so many options shouldn't undermine them by making them feel like it doesn't matter which ones you pick., 16 July 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I probably don't have too much to add to other reviews swimming around the internet. The core of the game is fun, a great mix of stealth and action, and there's the typical RPG bits that all action games seem to have nowadays, where you can upgrade your skills, manage your items and select different responses during conversations.

As I'm sure everyone knows, the boss battles are a let down, as the sense of freedom from the main game is lost and you're forced into combat. So whereas in the main game you might sneak around characters, activate turrets to kill them, then continue on your way, the boss battles force you to use your guns, something you might have been avoiding all along, and so you might not have upgraded the right skills, leading to long, frustrating battles.

That's pretty much done. You could flip a coin and pick a 4 or 5, it's far better than most games out there, and as good as most games that get plenty of plaudits.

So lets talk about Deus Ex (the first one). In that game no matter how linear the story, your actions had real consequences. If you shot someone in Deus Ex, you might find their daughter waiting later down the line, blaming you for her loss. You might decide to kill one of the main bad guys early and that was fine. Within the perimeters of the mission, you had a lot of choice, and a lot of consequences. In Human Revolution (the third game in the series) I often paid people bribes, then shot them in the head and retrieved the money. And there were no consequences. I did this three times in a row. I get the feeling that in Deus Ex, by the third time, there would have been some consequence from this behaviour. Someone would mention something, an option would be lost.

The frustrating thing about Human Revolution (despite being an utterly fine game) is that there are no real consequences to your actions (beyond one spoilery sequence which just makes a boss battle more frustrating if you didn't have the foresight to decide not to complete one of the sidequests). You can basically do whatever you like, and no one will call you out for being too violent, or for being too cowardly.

It's not a personalised experience. Sure you can be stealthy for most of the game, but if forces you to be violent in the boss battles. Maybe you killed someone with a sniper rifle and in the next cutscene they die by a different weapon, one you've never used before. Maybe you always kill everyone, then suddenly a cutscene shows you running and hiding from a handful of soldiers, something completely out of character.

These are not game killing experiences, this is a fine game, but if you want a reason why it's 4 star and not 5, it's because it didn't feel like I was having an impact on the game. That whatever I did the game would still spill out the same responses and give me the same consequences. A game about giving you so many options shouldn't undermine them by making them feel like they doesn't matter which ones you pick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is that a 22nd Century Clint Eastwood clone??!!, 4 April 2012
M. Phillips - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
To be honest I only bought this game as a diversion break from the all (too) consuming Skyrim! However after a few hours I was hooked and had to play it right through to the end. The story is a little slow to get going but does intrigue and expand to be a real `whats going to happen next....`. There are some excellent twists and turns and the story crescendo is well managed. I tried to play it in a mixed stealth and agression way, which I found balanced well (there are some excellent stealth weapons to be had), although you could try and play it without detection and confrontation but where is the fun in that? Graphics are excellent, game play is excellent, the story is very immersive and the physical dynamics very well done. The main character is painted in quite a dark way and you have some discretion to `lead` him to a lighter or darker side, which again I though worked very well. I do wonder though if I am the only one who kept thinking `Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry` when he was speaking to NPCs!! Although probably not everyones cup of tea, all in all I would put this in the top 10 best games that I have played on the Xbox360 and would highly recommend this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Gem, 14 Feb 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Definitely an underrated game. I think it sold fairly poorly, which is why the price plummeted fast well within a month. Not that it bothered me mind you, because that was the sole reason I snapped it up so fast. Glad I did though, as it has a subtle killer futuristic soundtrack (very foreboding) and a dark, mysterious atmospheric setting. I loved the whole stealth element, and I am someone who normally likes to play games in the style of 'all-guns-blazing'. Personally, I thought this was a better game than the Mass Effect games, both 1 and 2 installments. Inferior graphics perhaps, but superior storyline, setting and art design, choices, and characters. It's not without its flaws (boss fights spring to mind - I quickly resorted to web guides easy solution for each one), and long loading times, especially for a modern game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy successor to the original, 27 Nov 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I am writing this having played through once and begun a second play through in a different style.

Views are that this is a very good game which I have had immense fun playing and will likely continue to do so for quite a while.
There is a good blend of story and action, the fights which you can chose to get into blend use of cover with shooting and sneaking/takedowns & use of augmentations well. The switching between first and third person view for moving to cover is smooth and very well done. Hand to hand takedowns make use of cut scenes which can be a little confusing at first but the rest of the game freezes while these are being completed so no danger of being surprised during or after.

Encouragingly the choice of character upgrades does make a large difference to your playing experience, which has been something other games in this style have got wrong.

As with the original Deus Ex the story is immersive and adds good depth to the playing experience. The time playing is split between scene setting, exploring and fighting. In my experience this adds to the depth of the game though if you are looking purely for a shooter or stealth game this may not be for you. Broadly speaking the format of the levels is a city area where you have access to a number of buildings either via front doors, fire escapes, sewers etc within which you then have an objective to achieve or just rooms to search for goodies if you like. However be aware this is not a sandbox type game and while you have choice over how to complete each mission (in via the front door shooting or through the roof by stealth) where you can go in a level is constrained - much like the original. Fallout this aint.

Graphically while impressive this is not as good as the demo videos will have you believe but it still paints a good tech noir picture of the world in the not too distant future and makes the game more believable. The choice of weapons is good and the sound associated with them is reassuring bold.

Overall there are far more positives than negatives however there are a couple of issues which the prospective purchaser should be aware off.

The game does contain boss fights. Awful. Poorly thought out, not in keeping with the theme or style of the game and give the distinct impression of having been added to tick a box, then once the box was ticked outsourced to another company to code. The fact that you go from having choice of how to complete an objective - sneak in or all guns blazing, subdue or kill etc - to being forced into a shoot out with a series of leviathans utterly ruins the feel and flow of the game. This in itself is not a reason not to buy the game but does make me glad I purchased when the price was less than 20.

There is a little too much bias toward stealth. As other reviewers have rightly noted it is possible to play by shooting in a way that other games do not allow you however distinctions are notable. For example you get more experience points for a non lethal hand to hand takedown than a lethal one, lethal takedowns generate more noise, experience bonuses are provided for completing a mission without setting of an alarm or being seen - difficult to do if shooting. Small points but given how much the game is changed by augmentations, unlocked by gaining experience, it is a source of small frustration.

Loading screens. These can be quite long however once completed you can run through a phase of the game without any pauses in action. This will likely be a real issue if you either keep dying or need to complete a certain element for an achievement which requires you to keep loading.

To sum up then, this is a very good game, atmospheric, involving and one which you will likely be happy to play through several times due to the different ways of approaching each mission.
It didn't wow me in the same way as the original Deus Ex did when I first played that 10 years ago; however it is unfair to expect it to as the original was groundbreaking whereas this builds more on a now well established format on more powerful systems.
At a sale price of 19.99 (at time of writing) this is a worthwhile addition to any collection unless you have a serious dislike of RPG games.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
9.33