4.0 out of 5 stars Balletic in its beauty, 9 Sep 2011
S.R.J "ssocialdrummer" (Huddersfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tamer Animals (Audio CD)
Title of review sounds a tad pompous eh? Well its damnwell true!

Lush and wistful,beautifully produced and an absolute delight on the ears. It has a similar feel to Fleet Foxes, but where they sound like something else in a modern day guise this lot are far from copyists, with hints at Sigur Ros mixed in there.

This is their second offering and is an altogethor different creature, full of wonderful orchestration with violin, trumpet,french horn, cello etc etc, it transports you into a world of almost minimalist classical composition, but holds back sufficiently to not be overblown or pompous.

Not a hint of harshness, lyrically or musically, it just washes over you, track after track, effortlessly sliding into your subconscious in a way I haven't encountered previously.

The band has spent 3 years fine tuning every meticulous detail on this album and it shows, whilst equally sounding effortless it is also deliciously complex and enthralling, a total contradiction, in that its some of the most relaxing music you are likely to hear yet utterly engaging.

Musically it lies somewhere between what is termed neu folk (I know I'm not keen on it either, but it gives you an idea) and some sort of soundtrack to a modern day spaghetti western.

I have never given an album 5 stars, perfection is something I have not come across in 40 years of being serious about music, but heck, this comes as close as perfect as I have heard. so 4 and a half stars at least.
Do not hesitate to buy this, I'm surprised it doesn't come with a money back guarantee in the event of dissatisfaction.

S.R.J

4.0 out of 5 stars A good year for music........., 23 Dec 2011
Mr. Stephen H. Lyall (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamer Animals (Audio CD)
One of many unsung recent offerings which will no doubt be restricted to the ears of the priveleged few. After having viewed several video clips of the band performing tracks from this and the previous album I was struck by the detailed construction of the music and the apparent intensity of the musicians performance. This comes over clearly when listening to the elaborately arranged music which could still easily be enjoyed playing in the background but I feel needs to be heard with no distractions. As has been mentioned in previous reviews it could be described as indie music with a lush orchestral 'coating' and becomes quite addictive with repeated plays. Now chasing up their previous recordings (the earlier under band name 'Kunek') which have also attracted positive customer reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Balletic in its beauty, 19 Aug 2011
S.R.J "ssocialdrummer" (Huddersfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tamer Animals (Audio CD)
Title of review sounds a tad pompous eh? Well its damnwell true!

S.R.J

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year, 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Tamer Animals (Audio CD)
Heard one song from this album purely by chance as I was flicking through the radio stations very late one Saturday night driving home from a gig. The song was Dust Bowl III and at that time of the night it's exactly what my head and ringing ears needed. I bought this album the next day on the strength of that one song. Initially I likened Other Lives to Fleet Foxes, perhaps a bit of Bon Iver but the more I listen to them the more it all comes together as their own sound.

Having read up a bit more on the band I know that they started as an instrumental 3-piece and although they now are a quintet they pride themselves on their musical arrangements. It shows! The strings, piano and cello create beautiful sound-scapes (For 12), the driving drums make a few of the tracks quite epic, especially when played at a loud volume (Tamer Animals/ Dust Bowl III), and all this is fronted by fantastic melodies, thoughtful lyrics and great harmonies.

For me there's not one bad track on this album, so glad I happened upon them by chance. The best CD I've bought this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Music and a Different Sound, 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: Tamer Animals (Audio CD)
This album has become one of my favourites. One of the top three albums bought this year it's songs seem to be constantly going round in my head. 'For 12' and 'Old Statues' particularly seem to pop in there a lot. Their music is like a cross between folk and spaghetti western film track. All I can say is try it you won't be sorry.

The other two albums (of my top three) are Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More by Mumford and Sons and Build A Rocket Boys! by Elbow. All great albums!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Tamer Animals (Audio CD)
Well, what an album this is. Other Lives first came to my attention about a month ago, when I saw them supporting Chapel Club at the O2 Empire, Shepherds Bush. As documented in a comment to a previous reviewer (SR Jackson) - they completely captivated both me and the friend who I was with. On stage, of course, the sound featured much more guitar and percussion than is featured in the album- but that's only natural. Live, the band was a mesmeric, harmonised 4 piece: on the album, the full orchestral splendour is there for all to enjoy. And, in case you think I'm going all "misty eyed", let me assure you that this sort of music is not normally my cup of tea- AT ALL. Other Lives have been compared to Fleet Foxes- a band whose album I bought on the strength of the single- only to find out that the single wasn't on the album. My mistake of course for not researching it properly- but my God, what a dreary band they are.

Not so with Other Lives- to steal someone else's phrase -these guys do "New Folk" like no one else. Listening to the album, I can hear echoes (no pun intended) of Pink Floyd (i.e. Piper at the Gates of Dawn - not The Wall); Wild Beasts, Fanfarlo- even David Gray and latter day Smashing Pumpkins. These guys seem to do folk like Buffalo Tom do Country- it's folk, but different to how you might perceive "Folk". It's just what can only be described as a "great album".

As the BBC reviewer (see above) rightly says- this album grabs you and will not let go. Very reminiscent of a Radiohead album- but without the agony of having to listen to it numerous times to let the genius (that Radiohead undoubtedly are) get under your skin. This album immediately sucks you in and takes you prisoner. Of course superlatives are easy to use, but the vocals really will haunt you - in a good way. It's like you've always known these songs. Believe me- Thom Yorke will listen to this album and think- "Hmm- yes. That's how to do it".

This album is so beautifully crafted (sorry- cliché I know but IT IS) and just washes over you, under you, into you. The great shame of course is that this will no doubt never really see the light of day in terms of what's laughingly called "Chart Success"- and that in itself is nothing less than a tragedy. But if you want an album full of thoughtful music, subtle orchestration, and sheer, downright beauty- do yourself a favour and buy this. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Year so far..., 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: Tamer Animals (Audio CD)
This is a stunningly well crafted and beautifully haunting album. It's rare that you listen to something that hooks you from start to finish without a dud track to be heard. The sound is lush and complex and demands and rewards several listens. I would say if you like Fleet Foxes and Radiohead, this sounds a bit like some sort of meeting of the two. I look forward to their next already!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most uniquely sublime, meticulous and heroic 40 minutes of 2011, 4 Oct 2011
M. A. Fraser "baroque pop fan" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamer Animals (Audio CD)
The title is a quote from the BBC (above at the time of writing), and that's how I feel.

Be warned, this is not your standard indie rock, and don't be fooled by the grainy black and white cover, this music is in technicolor. The musical palette has strings and horns to the fore to the point where they often dominate. If you thought your Fleet Foxes were lacking a little Ennio Morricone then the solution is right here! The lush and languid melodies sometimes have the feel of a spaghetti western soundtrack, and it's all rather glorious. It's one of those albums that gets an immediate repeat play, the 40 minutes passes in a flash and leaves the listener wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Other Lives, 31 Mar 2014
Mj Elton (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamer Animals (Audio CD)
This is a masterpiece.I have had this for a few years now and keep coming back to it.It's a finer,more musical work than Mercury Rev's Deserter's Songs.
The arrangements are really intelligent and at no time doomy.
There are elements of Steve Reich in some of the instrumental introductions,and elements of Moody Blues type use of melletron.
But this is very original work and one of the better albums I have heard in the last few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamer Animals, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Tamer Animals (Audio CD)
Every song of this album is a little magical, ethereal trip. After first listening I found I had to listen it again, in whole. Beautiful.

Tamer Animals
Tamer Animals by Other Lives (Audio CD - 2011)