4.0 out of 5 stars That Difficult Second Album - Love it!
Published on 5 July 2011 by Callum Doone

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Rubbish
Having been a fan of the Finn brothers, Split Enz and Crowded House for longer than I care to remember, I wanted to like this album so much.

Published on 13 May 2012 by Russell Henry

4.0 out of 5 stars That Difficult Second Album - Love it!, 5 July 2011
This review is from: FOMO (Audio CD)
Liam is such a refreshing musician. This is a really fine follow-up to "I'll Be Lightning" and trust me, it is a grower. I was surprised to be the first to review this as I have enjoyed it more and more for a couple of weeks. On first listen there are as many challenges as there are the immediately likeable. What I like about Liam is that he takes chances and risks within the hybridised genre of melodic pop rock. Yes, it is true that he is a chip off the old block ( Neil Finn of Crowded House being his father) but he is definitely his own man, with his own agenda. He has certainly inherited his father's talent for melody and harmony but he pushes all the traditions and isn't afraid to play the classic pop card. What is so refreshing is the approach he takes toward it, blending the listener friendly with the edgy.

So to the songs ( and songs they are; well constructed pieces,finely wrought structures far removed from an improv vocal over beats) which are an excellent collection. All the songs are good, though I did encounter some resistance to "Cold Feet" which seems on the twee side and "The Struggle" which seemed abrasive and a difficult listen. They are the polar opposites on the album and the virtue in this is that it is rather like the increasingly lost art of album making circa mid 60's up to 80's where there was great variety in the material. If we take The Beatles "Revolver" as an example and a point of comparison, we have "Yellow Submarine" on the one hand, which is daft fun and "Tomorrow Never Knows" which is the epicentre of emerging psychedelia.

Liam's approach is like that of a post-modern journeyman who knows his chops! He mixes it up and we are left with an album that is special insomuch that it sounds like nothing else around at the moment. "The Struggle" is a wake up call in the middle of the album that we are not at all indulging in easy listening and by the album's closer, "Jump Your Bones" we have an innate sense of satisfaction that we have witnessed a very creative manifestation which is as humourous as it is poignant, as playful as it is considered. There's a lot to like here. Mr Finn is a talent of major worth which isn't matched (yet) by huge sales. But I'd rather listen to this than Adele anyday.

"Chase The Seasons" is sublime and raises the bar on post-modern melodic pop and "Jump Your Bones" is a fantastic closer. You know I think I'll just have to play it again, right now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vibrant stuff from Finn jnr., 25 Nov 2011
This review is from: FOMO (Audio CD)
I brought this based on my love of Neil Finn / Crowded House's material. Sons and daughters of great musicians / songwriters rarely deliver on the promise they've inherited. So, I wasn't expecting too much from Neil's son. However, this album has put a smile on my face. Whilst its way too early to exact comparison with his father, Liam Finn is obviously his own man, and is developing his own sound. And yet, you can hear something of the Finn pedigree (both Neil's and and uncle Tim's) in his writing and singing.

I'm jealous as hell that one so young has got it all together and producing good / interesting songs. Unlike his father, who's songs often need repeated listening until they weedle their way into your brain, most of Liam's songs have a vibrancy that appeals on first listen. Yet, they're certainly not mindless catchy ditties. Far from it. I think this album will have longevity. And its hardly prophetic to say, so I think will Liam Finn. Watch his star rise!

5.0 out of 5 stars vibrant, 10 Sep 2011
This review is from: FOMO (Audio CD)
I bought this CD on a whim, scratching around for something new and different and something that I would enjoy listening to. There are the obvious comparisons from Liam to his father, Neil, but the more I listen to this wonderful collection of songs, the more I think that this is like something a young Tim Finn would have produced. There is a balance of songs on this album that excites, provokes thought and makes you realise that this is an exceptionally talented young musician and songwriter. It is certainly the best new music that I have listened to this year.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Rubbish, 13 May 2012
Russell Henry (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FOMO (Audio CD)

Unfortunately I hate it. I know it is unfair to compare Liam Finn with his illustrious father, but I was expecting some of the melodic qualities of Neil Finn's songwriting or even Uncle Tim's work. Sadly the songs on this album seem to be more of a collection of random sounds than actual compositions, and, as a colleague of mine commented, "It sounds like the singer is singing a completely different song to the one the musicians are playing."

The best songs are slightly worse than mediocre (Cold Feet) and several are so bad I can't listen to them (especially Jump Your Bones).

As I said, it's unfair to compare Liam with his dad, but I can't help thinking that if his name wasn't Finn, he would never have got anywhere near a recording contract.

Fomo [VINYL]
Fomo [VINYL] by Liam Finn (Vinyl - 2011)