5.0 out of 5 stars New, improved....
I compared the 18v and 12v of this cleaner in a leading electrical store - the 18v is a completely different beast to the 12v. It's like comparing your dyson to those horrible dustbusters of old that didn't really pick up.

Published on 19 Oct. 2011 by stripestripe

1.0 out of 5 stars Initially very happy, but my happiness did not last...
Published 16 months ago by mama panda

5.0 out of 5 stars New, improved...., 19 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Black & Decker Pivot Dustbuster Handheld Vacuum Cleaner - 18 Volt (Kitchen & Home)

I did notice the problem that Which Magazine and several reviewers on here noted - the flap that was supposed to stop the dirt you've picked up from falling out of the cylinder and back down the spout is too weakly sprung - but I thought I could live with that given its immense suction power.

However, I can confirm that the model Amazon sent me a couple of weeks ago has had the offending flap design modified by B&D (as B&D told Which Magazine they would do and it works perfectly.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 15 Feb. 2012
Very good and useful. A little noisy but good suction and battery life excellent. Would have been nice to have a wall mounting

5.0 out of 5 stars Black& Decker Dust Buster, 11 Oct. 2011
Ellen Ann (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This has to be the grand daddy of all dustbusters! Very powerful and therefore very effective. I feel that I am winning the "dog hair" battle at last!

1.0 out of 5 stars Initially very happy, but my happiness did not last..., 31 Oct. 2013
I did a lot of research before buying this in January 2013, nearly 10 months ago. Initially like other reviewers say there was no problem with crumbs falling out, but after a few weeks there was. As the hoover was much more powerful I forgave it its spillages as it still outweighed the benefits, keeping the house crumb free with three under fives. But then other issues started to rear their heads and I would no longer recommend anybody to buy them unless you only intend to use it for a few weeks...

Other issues:

I find that I do not use the rotation option, the dust collection bit is too bulky to fit anywhere I have tried to use it.

The crevice tool which I most look forward to to use especially in the high chairs, is useless. It pushes in too easily which renders it utterly useless.

I bought it also to keep on top of the car carpets but after the initial few uses it seems to have lost its power to enable it to cope with this. I am trying to change the filter (VF90) to try and improve this but am struggling to find anywhere that sells them. Even on Amazon they are out of stock. I did find two shops in the Netherlands that sell them on line but do not sell to customers abroad, the filters are also sold on eBay in Canada and an online shop in Australia again not sending to the UK, even if I was prepared to pay for the shipping costs!

Please do not waste your money! I cannot wait for this one to breakdown so I can justify buying a new, different hand held hoover. In the mean time I have to log out the main hoover each time until I find a filter...

4.0 out of 5 stars A top performer, 20 April 2011
This is indeed a top performer. Yes, it is a little on the heavy side and a tad noisy. However, that is the price you have to pay for the high power and suction this cleaner delivers. Don't expect the charge to last more that fifteen to twenty minutes though. This item is ideal for cleaning car seats and household stairs, which are the main reasons I bought it. For these applications, the length of charge is not a problem. I keep mine permanently connected to the charger so it is ready to use instantly. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black & Decker 18v Dustbuster, 2 Mar. 2012
Excellent product, far better than the usual crumb suckers. Very nimble and great power and duration, enough to clean a car VERY WELL! Very impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little DustBuster, 1 Nov. 2011
Very pleased with this. Very powerful. Slightly heavier than I expected and noisier, but this is more than offset by the flexibility and suction. Nice design too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good suction, some faults though, 25 Jun. 2013
This vacuum cleaner does work with good suction and feels well made. However there are a few things wrong with it that would prevent me from fully recommending it.

It is heavy and it is noisy.

It charges with a trickle charger and does not indicate when charged (only that it is charging). That's fine if you are going to leave it charging on the base and use it no more frequently than every few days but don't expect several full uses per day. It lasts long enough, around 10 minutes, but the noise makes sure you don't run it unnecessarily.

The major flaws are around the air output. The air exits from the bottom - right near the area you are trying to vacuum and so has a tendency to just blow all the debris you are trying to vacuum up around the room. It needs a duct to blow out the back.

Also, when you start the vacuum it blows a cloud of fine dust out - I assume that until the cyclone is established the debris isn't held in suspension and all the finer stuff can exit through the motor. It is bad enough that I always hold it outside to start it. It has done this from new with a new filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!, 8 Nov. 2011
I've previously owned two dustbusters over the years and they've been OK for picking up dust, but not much else. However, this model is in a completely different league! Forget dust... this is a real dirtbuster! It has fast become the most useful gadget in my home. In the kitchen it's great for getting rid of all those seeds that go every everywhere when you buy a new loaf of bread. In the bathroom it make's short work of the dust, fluff and hair that accumulates whenever your back is turned. It happily copes with stairs and saves having to lug a full-sized vacuum cleaner up and down. And the pivot head will get into just about any nook or cranny that you have. Suffice to say I use mine several times a day. Can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one!!!, 30 Nov. 2011
This is fantastic handheld vacuum.
I used to have a dyson handheld and at that time I thought that dyson is the best.
But I was wrong!
This Black and Decker 18v model is way better than dyson, no doubts.
It is very small!!!
It is very powerfull!!!
It is compact!!!
It is comfortable to hold!!!
It is easy to use!!!
It is easy to empty a dust container!!!
Its battery lasts longer!!!
You can keep it on a charger if you want to without worrying of damaging the battery!!!
It is very robust!!!
Two hidden attachment within the machine!!!
Filter will have to be cleaned quite often.
This is simply the best handheld vacuum these days - on my opinion of cause!!!
Very much recommended!!!

Update: I have been using this one for more than a year now and still very happy with it. The only thing is - filter has to be cleaned quite often. But no big deal as it is very easy to do.
Still very recommended!!!