5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Netbook
Published on 29 Jun 2011 by Peter J

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing
I searched well and read lots of reviews and initially found this netbook very good but over 2 years, I have no working camera, and 2 of the usb ports have ceased to work. One 'blew' with a mouse plugged in and that disabled the one next to it. They are expensive to repair so now I have one usb port. Not what I expected from the 2nd best rated netbook at the time.
Published 6 months ago by hilary

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Netbook, 29 Jun 2011
Peter J (Bristol. UK) - See all my reviews
I have my Toshiba NB520 for 2 weeks now and I can't fault it. It is an excellent machine that is easy to carry around and is great if you want to browse the internet whilst on the move. I have bought it for when I am away and I want to edit my photo's in the evening. It slots easily into my camera bag so that when flying I can carry my camera and Netbook in my carry on luggage. It is not an Apple, but for the price this is just great value. I have just "upgraded" the RAM to 2GB,which was as easy as changing a battery. The 2GB RAM makes this machine much quicker and is better when running larger files.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine with Mac-level battery life, 12 July 2011
W. Dron - See all my reviews
I bought the 2GB memory suggested by Amazon and fitted it myself without any fuss whatsoever and have to say the machine works great. The battery life is brilliant compared to my larger Dell, and that's pretty good anyway. Very impressed with the hours of use you can get out of it.

Windows 7 Starter loads up much faster than previous operating systems, but was amazed to find you can't change the wallpaper. Massive error by Microsoft. A quick software download (Oceanis) and you can fix it easily.

Another thing that irritated me was the pre-installed Toshiba software... unnecessary. Delete, delete, delete.

Sound is brilliant from such a small device - great for watching internet TV/movies or listening to music while abroad.

Not the prettiest netbook, but it's not ugly and I'm very happy overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing machine, 27 Jun 2011
Its everything you would want from a netbook. Great performance (would definatly recommend upgrading to 2 gig ram), excellent battery, im getting about six and a half hours hard use. The sound is incredible best i've heard on any laptop and better than most external speakers!. Looks cool too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little netbook, 1 Sep 2011
L. Behague (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I really like this laptop which is well designed and both screen and speakers are excellent. My only reservation isthat on 1GB of RAM it was a bit slow, but purchasing 2GB has helped although it is still not super speedy.But it is good enough for me and nice and lightweight with excellent battery life for travelling. Recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little Netbook, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Toshiba NB520-10P Intel Atom N570, 1GB, 250GB, 10.1", W7 Starter, Harman Kardon speakers, Bluetooth, Brown (Personal Computers)
Very happy with this machine and find it a pleasure to use.
Use it to watch tv on my lap, surf the internet, read ebooks, etc.
Sound reproduction is great.
Battery life is good.
It is slightly too big for a normal 10" netbook cover - be warned!

4.0 out of 5 stars Baby Tosh, 20 July 2011
I love the fact it is small and easy to carry around. The only minor defects are W7 Starter problems. There is no easy way to create a screen background, and the font size tends to be rather small. I don't find the magnifier much use at all - otherwise lovely. It's quick and responsive. Speakers are surprisingly good. I like the brown-gold colour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop but Windows 7 Starter sucks!, 3 Jan 2012
Saint Frisky (Northumberland, England.) - See all my reviews
This laptop is brilliantly constructed, easily one of the most solid built netbooks I have come across. Eclipsing the likes of Dell netbooks, there's no give or flex in the case and is not the lurid lime green pictured. The screen is very good quality and doesn't get a glare, the speakers are outstanding, beating laptops twice or thrice the price of this little netbook, the bluetooth works well and if you stick an extra gig of RAM in as recommended, it really is a nippy little netbook.

However Windows 7 is appalling! As soon as I can be bother I am going to remove it and put on Windows XP SP3. Windows 7 Starter won't let me install Flash, keeps hanging, seems to want more security updates than my other Windows Machine and is generally a severely castrated OS. It's as though MS have made Windows 7 so bad that you'll want to pay extra to upgrade to a proper version.

Great netbook. Terrible OS.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 3 Feb 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY TOSHIBA, 29 Jun 2011
I bought this product and within two days it had crashed. I returned it to Toshiba for repair because I thought that would be the best course of action. After a week and a trip to Germany it arrived back. There was no confirmation that it was repaired satisfactorily; no apology; no contact at all.
As I took it out of the packaging it was apparent that it had now acquired an annoying rattle. I immediately contacted Toshiba to notify them and to ask for a replacement - I had only had it for two days! Not possible apparently; not part of the guarantee. I was told it would have to be collected and taken away again. When I said that was not convenient as I needed it they suggested I take to Gultronics in London to see if they could fix it; I live near Kettering! Even if I was prepared to do this on one of my occasional trips to London I would be very reluctant to go there. I suggest you Google the company and read the customer comments; the fact that Toshiba is prepared to recommend them speaks volumes for the company's commitment to customer service.
This could probably have been a good netbook but I would advise everyone to purchase it from a good High Street retailer that values its reputation. The least you have to do with Toshiba directly in the event of a problem the better. And the second piece of advice - don't risk it, don't buy Toshiba!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good netbook. Little slow, good sound, 27 Aug 2011
I spent about 15-20 hours researching various websites, magazines, countless reviews and eventually decided to buy this netbook for my wife as a birthday present and it works perfectly fine.

As a comparison to laptops and PC's this netbook is significantly slower which is my only gripe.

I am a bit of a sound snob and am used to top quality speakers and headphones. The numerous positive reviews elevated my (unrealistic) sound quality and loudness expectations and was therefore not blown away them. As netbook speakers go they are better than any I have ever come across.

Personally I wouldn't buy any netbook again due to the speed, but my wife is happy with it. Keep in mind that the speakers are tiny so manage your expectations accordingly.