Supreme Ruler Cold War (PC CD)
Price:£3.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 21 December 2011
Supreme Ruler Cold War is the latest offer from Battlegoat Games. It is, potentially, huge. I am expecting it will take me quite a while to even learn all the ins and outs, and a full campaign could take months to play.

The timeline runs from 1949 up to modern times. There are several "game speed" settings ranging from VERY slow to VERY VERY fast so you can take your time or sit back and watch world events rush by. You can also issue orders while the game is paused which is excellent while you are learning.

In the Campaign game you can play as the USSR or America. In the Sandbox game you can be any one of a very large number of other countries ranging from the UK right down to tiny ones like Ireland, although only the USSR and the USA get the option to use nukes. Yes, in the main Campaign game you have the option to push "the Button" and launch whatever nukes you have. In 1949, that is not many. If you are looking towards experiencing Armageddon you will need to research a whole lot of technologies. I have not played through to the 1960's yet but am guessing you won't have dense-packs of silos until at least then.

There is a multi-player option too but I have not looked at it, myself, as my internet connection is not the best.

I personally like the game very much as it DOES capture the flavour of the Cold War rather well, but you are warned that the learning curve is very, very steep. The on-disk game manual is sadly inadequate and the tutorial videos on You Tube are pathetic too. You will best find help on the forums dedicated to the game.

You control your chosen country by assigning orders and guidance to a number of Cabinet Ministers responsible for diplomacy, finance, trade, production, and defense. You can let them do what they want, or impose your own authority, and there is a huge range of options to fiddle with your economy and forces if you want. Or just let the Minister do all the work.

But!!! Expect to restart the game quite a lot when you hash things up and as you learn. It will be a very hard road to mastery of the game system, unless the company releases a better manual with text-based walk-throughs, but even so the game is worth the price.

I bought a hard-copy boxed DVD but you can buy it as a download as well. Personally I would recommend a hard copy version but that is because I dislike digital downloads. The Steam version is, apparently, not updated as often as it should be.
Kim in Australia
on 1 February 2015
Very difficult to play
on 15 March 2012
I received this game, I installed right away with no problems apart from a little trouble of finding the code before realising it's on the disc so problem solved.

The game is actually very confusing since there's no tutorials, or book to explain things. You have to learn everything yourself (or look up on internet but to me, they weren't clear or i'm just an idiot). The gameplay is simple but yet difficult. Especially the economy, very bloody hard to stabilize especially when you're at war with a big or small countries. When there's an alert of warning of petrol is running low so I decided to ask my allies countries to buy barrels of fuel. I offered twice or third times the worth of petrol I requested from them and they refused. What the hell? With that much of money, they could build an army about five times what they have!

I was expecting this game is slightly similar to Tropico but a bit more detailed, worldwide and controlling the military. But I was wrong.

Honestly, this isn't my type of game although I might would get into it if there was a book explaining the things, tutorials is the most necessary for this type of game but there isn't any. Disappointed. It is actually a hit or a miss.
on 7 December 2012
Three stars as I found it really quite boring. Im into this genre in a big way but this game doesn't have that little spark I was looking for.
on 24 August 2012
Not for me...

If you like massively over managing things and have mild OCD when it comes to gaming then this line of games is for you... I like stategy games but this was a bit far for me, honestly very very very very very very very very complicated. But if that's what you're into go nuts!

One star from me as it's not what I thought it would be and didn't enjoy it at all.