A lot of reviews stating that bass was too low on these put me off initially, but I decided that I was willing to risk it for the other reviews that said they were great.

Published 17 months ago by Aidan

3.0 out of 5 stars A headphone speaker unattached itself after 8 months *sob*
These headphones had great sound quality , and after a short while I sorted out the side sizing so they fit well. However after 8 months the right headphone speaker stopped working and then fell off the inside of the headphone... I paid for a short lived amount of product satisfaction. Not a happy customer :(
Published on 3 Feb 2012 by miss L C Trayner

4.0 out of 5 stars This is how it's supposed to be! Bass is perfect (what are other reviewers talking about?) Great Sound straight out of the box!, 14 July 2013

I have regular sized ears, and these headphones nearly completely cover them, keeping out basically all external sound - so you're really in a world of your own - makes you feel even closer to the music.

The only negative point I have is that the headphones can become quite hot and after a while this can be a bit uncomfortable.

I use the headphones for music production as well as just general listening.

I am very pleased - and bass is not too high or too low - just perfect! And straight out of the box it was excellent, maybe some reviewers should check the devices they are playing the headphones off, or their settings, before blaming the headphones straight away.

I could hear the bass in rock music so clearly, exactly how it was intended in the initial recordings - for example, I was listening to nirvana and the libertines first off and you felt like you were at the recording session - for the first time I could hear the bass perfectly and the drums - WOW - every intricate detail is there - its no longer just a thud, its a type of thud, at a certain frequency, with a certain drum-kit, I can hear the difference now! Everything is so clear - nothing was tampered with electronically - this is how it is supposed to sound people!

I would say the same for dance music too, everything is so clear, and you can hear things you didn't before, little intricacies, so good!

For years I've been listening to music on run of the mill headphones - there is no comparison - with these headphones you're transported to the gig, to the recording session - YOU ARE NO LONGER JUST LISTENING, YOU ARE THERE - the producer wanted you to hear it this way - and now you get it!

Thank you Panasonic!

4.0 out of 5 stars RP HTXAE-R Review, 18 May 2012
I had been looking for a set of headphones for some time and - by chance - came across a review of the RP-HTX's in What Hifi. They reckoned they were the best 'phones for the money and up to about £100. When I first tried them I was a little disappointed as they seemed to lack presence. However, after a relatively short burn in the sound changed significantly. Stereo separation improved and the balance between bass mid and high got much better as well. Bass is now full but not overbearing and the highs don't hiss out the mids. I listen to a range of music from classical through to bands like King Crimson and these phones handle the complexities of some of this music very well. They will not beat the likes of Bose but the most certainly beat other 'phones in this price range. Excellent value for money (£33) and so no wonder they are hard to get hold of.

4.0 out of 5 stars All about the Music, 20 Mar 2012
After agonising for weeks I finally took the plunge and clicked to order. Ordered late one evening and the goods arrived within a day and a half. Liked the look and feel straight away and started the burn-in procedure(as advised by other reviewers). I can't say I was blown away, after having been spoilt by a friends top-end Beats, but, after a few weeks, I think I may have the better end of the deal. The sound is such that all you hear is good music and you hear everything the way it is supposed to be. They have big bass when the track is supposed to, yet, on other tracks, it seems there is a lack of bass. Then you realise that the music is supposed to sound that way and not be artificially overblown. These are really for people who like music and like to hear it the way it was intended. If you like massive bass and overblown arftificialism then I would advise that you choose something else. If you like to sit back and enjoy the music for what its supposed to be then order with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best/ Coolest Headphones in the Price Range..., 26 Oct 2011
M. J. Lowis "matlowis" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Hi

If you want the best looking headphones that sound amazing on a budget of £30-£70, THESE ARE UNBEATABLE!! DO NOT LOOK ANY FURHER!!

Sorry for shouting.. but it's true

I've owned these headphones for best part of a year. They cost me £30. To me that is unbelievable.

Bullet Points.

1. Look so Cool.. really, hard to beat at any price level!.. (retro-cool..i guess)

2. Sound- honestly fantastic. I have compared this only to headphones around the £100-200 mark , and these without a doubt are comparable.. this has surprised me. I also own far more expensive headphones (akg 701- which i adore)... and wouldn't expect these little fellas to get to this level of clarity and they don't.

I found the mid-range and trebles to be particularly good, the bass is also good but less defined, and the longer you use them the better they sound like many headphones.. (this is called "burn in")

3. Comfort is also really good, you can wear them for hours without a problem.. I do leave the house occasionally..)

In summary;

Excellent all rounders, if anything they suffer in the bass region, don't mean lacking, just not well enough defined.

... but i am comparing that to a lot more expensive headphones...

I give these 5 stars because the price is staggering for such a great sounding pair of headphones, because they are in my opinion the coolest looking headphones around...

Overall these are fantastic.. I use them far more than I ever thought I would, love the sound..

Hope this helps

Mat

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic's Budget Jem, 31 Dec 2012
I bought these headphones as a good general purpose can for using with my laptop/phone/tablet and have to say these are some of the best budget headphones I've ever heard.
Starting with the build quality, the rail that the ear cups slide on is steel with other details and fittings in aluminium, ear cups are plastic and the headband and ear cushions are artificial "pleather" material, the fit and finish are superb for the money giving the headphones a look and feel beyond their price range.
Styling is a personal thing but the retro/old school look seams classic and stylish to my eyes.
And now to the sound quality, these things punch way above their weight, the overwhelming thing for me was how balanced and detailed they sound, mid-range is slightly recessed and bass is slightly enhanced but not to the detriment of the rest of the sound, in fact these are fantastically fun headphones making all genres of music a pleasure.
Now just to finish I own headphones from Grado Sennheiser and AKG some costing ten times as much as these Panasonic's, Do these sound as good? no but they don't disgrace themselves either, for £30 pounds there outstanding and I think you'd be spending around the £100 mark to significantly improve on there sound,Panasonic have produced a budget gem with these headphones,Don't hesitate buy and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Headphones!, 6 Jan 2012
I got these for my daughter for Christmas and have to say they are magnificent! Granted, the kind of music she listens to (random notes that have absolutely no musical value) is probably wasted on such a good pair of headphones but for us from an older generation will still appreciate the clarity of the sound that are transmitted through the headset. I had a £100 set of cans from Dr Dre and these just blow those away!

And for the price these are going for...they are an absolute steal!

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Look, Modern Workings, 29 July 2011
Jasper Wong "jbywong" (Canterbury, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of these headphones on impulse during a hot summer in Hong Kong, two years ago. I remember walking into the shop and being struck instantly by the vintage good looks of this set. I liken these headphones to a Vespa125 scooter with modern parts, a great look with reliable, well designed inner workings.

The sound quality with these headphones is quite good considering the price. That being said, the bass response on these headphones are not very good. They seem to be tuned for more middle response than bass or treble. The headphone cups are made of hard plastic, and the arch and the inside of the cups (where your ears are) are lined with synthetic leather. Although these headphones do not have the softest leather or the softest cushioning, they are still comfortable and can be worn for long times.

These headphones are not noise-isolating and not active noise-canceling, which makes using them in louder places (such as airplanes) less easy. However, for the price range that these headphones are sold, it is very hard (if not impossible) to find active noise-canceling headphones.

All in all, these headphones are trendy, with good quality sound. They would look good in the studio, at home, and outside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 2 Nov 2013
I tried to write a great review on these headphones, but I went off on a tangent. Basically, these headphones are brilliant. I have spent a substantial; amount of money on my home system and these play music off my phone at an comparable quality.
Its never going to get to the quality of having good speakers at the cost of £30. but for that money they are brilliant. Because of these I am now going back through my music collection and downloading FLAC files. Which both will benefit from.
My only gripe is, they are a bit big, that maybe because I've never had over the ear headphones, but comparing them with my mates, they do seem big. I do grant them this concession, it is a retro design. So I do rescind that argument, as I bought them on the glowing reviews I have read. And all I can do is back that up. Under £30, amazing. I have heard Beats which are £200 and theses are nearly as good,

5.0 out of 5 stars great quality doesn't have to cost!, 19 Feb 2012
Dr. J. H. K. Lee "JL" (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this as it won WhatHiFi awards and costed only £30 on amazon. Very comfy pads, covering over ears, not pressing on my ears at all. Sounds solid and clear. Bit bright at high volume, but no worse than more expensive head phones. Response frequencies are balanced, unlike some more expensive bass-heavy cans (yes, Beats Audio I'm staring at you!). Only come with short cabling and no extension cable included. Cable quality is good, so should last with normal portable use. Looks cool and comfy to wear, with balanced sound quality at £30, what not to like about them?
I intended to buy Denon 1100 headphones for their sound quality, but this sound almost as good, but about 1/3 of the price with better style. Makes it an easy decision for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another world of music, 7 Feb 2012
I bought these headphones based on the excellent reviews and competitive price. Not liking the in ear phones that came with my iPhone, I was looking for something that were reasonably light, enclosed the sound, and a high quality sound. All I can say is WOW !! These headphones make me feel like I am sitting in the middle of the stage, recording studio etc. as I have never heard such pure clarity both in terms of treble, mid range and bass. All the levels are, to me, perfect. I am not an expert, but for me when listening to music with these headphones, I am " in a different world ".