on 23 April 2012
Lealandra is a witch on the verge of achieving phenomenal power. With her Counter-Balance dead and her coven against her, she must turn to her half-breed demon ex-lover, Taig, for protection from the dark force that is after her and her own magic. Taig's blood and power is the only thing that can help Lealandra control her magic enough to survive the ascension. Can she win back his broken heart, and can he forgive her for walking out on him? Will Taig ever believe her when she tells him he's not a monster, but the man she loves?

Warning: This book is for adults only due to scenes of an explicit nature!

This is the first book in the Shadow and Light Trilogy, and is another fantastic story from Felicity Heaton!
Lealandra is a powerful witch, but she is going through the ascension, a transition where her power is at it's peak. However, her Counter-Balance (the person to help her through it) has been killed by persons unknown. In desperation, she turns to her ex-lover Taig, a half human-half demon, for protection.
I loved Lealandra's character. She is usually brave, but the death of her Counter-Balance has her running scared. She is stubborn and tenacious when she wants something. But when it comes to Taig, she is still in love with him - even though she was the one to break up with him six years previously.
Taig is a fantastic alpha male. He does have an issue with his demon side - he doesn't like it much. However, if he was real, I think I would keep him! Who says demons have to be bad? That's not to say he's not dangerous - he is - but he has a loving side, and he loves Lealandra very much. (Darn it!).
I am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I highly recommend this book if you love a fantastic, spicy novel that will get your heart pounding!
on 29 May 2015
Eh, wish I'd left this one on the shelf. While the idea was an interesting one, the actual execution is a mess and frankly Lealandra was the kind of heroine I always want to slap and the gender relations are so outdated and disgusting I almost couldn't get past them.

Let me start with some examples of Lealandra's behavior. She returns to her ex when she needs his protection. She then kisses him, but gets pissed off when he basically says, "I'll only help you if you have sex with me" (which also makes him a big dick, even after Lea's internal monologue says he's only saying it to get back at her for leaving) but spends the whole book giving him very obvious mixed signals (because she really loves him and wants to have sex with him, despite refusing). She gets jealous of him speaking to another woman, so she throws herself into obvious danger and gets herself drugged and almost assaulted, requiring rescue. She get's angry at the bad guy and then charges in to fight him, so unprepared she literally didn't even put clothes on (yes, naked). Again, needs rescuing while thinking, "I wish I'd listened to Taig." She allows Taig to constantly talk about possessing her, owning her, releasing custody of her, taking care of her, protecting, etc. She lived with a man for six years who did "allow" her to do something she needed. Her impending ascension means that she isn't able to control her own body or sexuality. (God, that is such a common theme in romance books and it always pisses me off.) She's 32 bloody years old, but acts and is treated like a child.

Basically, Lea's character, which we're told is strong can, be summed up in this disgusting quote:"Usually she was strong, but around him, she felt as though she didn’t need to be. She could be the woman she was inside, without fear of him thinking that she was weak. He would protect her." Because apparently she can't simultaneously be the woman inside and strong? Blerg.

And this is all highlighted by the fact that she basically doesn't do anything but cower and lust over Taig for the whole book. Even defeating the villian, who we're told is weaker than her (but male) requires this: "It was his power that allowed her to do this, that would see her end this fight and become the victor. It was his strength all along that had helped her, through both the ascension and also through what lay ahead. She would always need him and his power, his support and guidance, but most of all his love and devotion." Blerg. Because god forbid she both have her own strength, power and skill and be a woman!

Then there is the actual writing. It could have been ok, a bit purple but readable, if it wasn't so damned repetitive. We are told the same things over and over and over again. Then those same things are contradicted over and over and over again. Just so we can be told or shown the opposite again. The internal monologues are endless and always focus on sex or the other person's body, usually when the character is in pain or running/fighting for their life. Sure, his sexy abs are just what I'm thinking about when trying not to die.

The plot is incredibly weak, mostly because there is sooooo much sex, talking about sex, fantasizing about sex, refusing to have sex or, well, sex (most of which was of the hammer and nail variety. He basically just gracelessly pounds her and apparently that's erotic and gets her off) that there is almost no room left for plot or character development. There is one side character, who gets mentioned repeatedly throughout the book, but isn't introduced or explained until 80% in. Similarly, there is no build up to the final fight. Suddenly, with almost no explanation, they have a team fighting with them and are in the middle of it.

Very poor. I have no desire to continue the series, thank you very much, even if the hints for book two started getting dropped at about page 10.
on 5 July 2013
WOW!! Another Flaming Hot read from Felicity Heaton. Lealandra is a Witch and is due to receive Phenomenal Power, Taig is a Demon & former lover, she needs his help, to control her Magic, and of course theres never a dull moment, in any of this Author's books & I was engaged throughout this book, a good plot,lots of action & lots of Steamy Romance, Just the sort of thing I love.

I love Felicity Heaton's books they Lure you in and then your trapped, gripping stuff from beginning to end.

If you Love Paranormal Romance check out this book and others by this talented Author.
on 7 January 2013
Being an avid fan of Felicity Heaton's Vampire books, and having read all of her VR and VET books I thought I would give Ascension a try, I couldn't put it down - I downloaded it on the Thursday night and finished it on Saturday the only reason it took so long was because of a pesky thing called work that I had to do in between my sessions of sinking my teeth into the gorgeous leading male, Taig! who knew a half man half demon could be so hot! And as for the leading lady Lealandra, well, she's smart, strong, funny and powerful - the tension and the history between these two characters is, as always, well written by Felicity you feel like you know the characters and with every scene she sets you feel like you are there watching, during the battles (of which there are a quite a few) you literally feel like you are there dodging spells and killing bad guys with them. This book has it all, tension, romance, action, mega hotness, a deep story line, fabulous scene setting and of course characters that you will love.

Taig is half man, half demon, Lealandra is a very powerful witch - six years ago they spent 6 months together but Lealandra left to be paired with a counter-balance witch after being placed with him by her coven - now with her ascension looming and her counter-balance dead, coupled with some betrayal and all that other gripping stuff us readers love, there is only one person she can turn to for help, Taig but after her leaving him 6 years ago will he help her, will he be able to make peace with his own demons to enable himself to let her in and protect her.... you'll have to read the book to find out!!

I would urge any fan of Felicity's who hasn't read this to get involved, you will love Taig and Lea and the book ends answering lots of questions whilst leaving you with many more to be answered in the next two installments!! (The only problem I have now is what am I going to read whilst I wait for book 2!).

And to anyone who hasn't read any of Felicity's books - read Ascension now - you will not be disappointed!
on 22 June 2013
Lealandra is a witch about to reach her Ascension which will bring her incredible power but also leave her very vulnerable to attack until it is over.

Taig *mmmm*
Taig is Lealandra's ex lover who just so happens to be a super powerful demon and also just so happens to be HOTHOTHOT!!!
Taig's power holds a darkness that he abhors and having no link to his parents to teach him how to live with his inner demon he suppresses it and his strength. Whilst the darkness writhes inside him Lealandra seems to bring him control. And together they help each other be who they are supposed to be and reclaim their lost love in the process.

Taig is super hot and the sex is freaking hot! Lol!!
I'm not usually one for a witch story but this one was on the money.

I gave 4stars only because there are lots of unanswered questions and this is posted as book one in a trilogy but as it was released in 2011 and with no follow up yet I'm left a little boo hiss boo... :(
on 15 October 2013
Really enjoyed this book. Lots of action, fast paced events with all the twist and turns you have come to expect from this author. Love reading this author, always gives you a good storyline, strong characters and a book that you have to read. Thank you
I love Ascension.... as ever, Felicity Heaton has given us another fantastic book with excellent characters, a great plot, loads of action and a ton of heat!!!!

I adore Taig and Lealandra. Their story had me gripped from the beginning! Regardless of their history this pair had so much mutual attraction and it was interesting to see how things worked out for them!!!

Check it out - as you would expect with any book from Felicity, you won't be disappointed!!!
on 15 February 2013
A great story, well-paced, steamy, and engaging. There's no need to repeat the plot outlines already given, but there is a depth to the backstory between these two characters - a lot of history, and it's brought out in wonderfully teasing pieces. Great details of how the world works, the internal logic of Magic and Demons, and delightful hints at future story-lines.

I definitely want more of Taig!
on 10 June 2014
Felicity Heaton has fast become my fav author. This book is fast paced and you really care about the characters. The plot line is interesting with great twists and keeps you interested from start to finish. Felicitys books put fifty shades to shame
on 6 March 2014
As always this author delivered a good story. The reason I didn't give it a five star rating was that I thought parts were repeated over and over. I felt this wasn't needed and just added length to the book and not to the detail of the story.