5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and I'm delighted
Published on 26 Aug 2011 by Simon Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars TIME GENTLEMEN PLEASE
The signs were not good,the first track is taken at breakneck speed,and does not bode well for the rest of the album,however the rest of the album is rather better
This seems to be ,on the surfaces a Mike Walker album as he has written about half the album,his guitar style particularly on the slower songs tends towards the John Scofield school of playing,particularly...
Published on 18 Jun 2011 by Finbar the looney

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and I'm delighted, 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Impossible Gentlemen (Audio CD)
Being a self-confessed Metheny Group addict, I was ready to be unimpressed, so I'm delighted I was wrong. The sublime fusion crafted by The Impossible Gentlemen easily fills the gap left whilst we wait for the successor to The Way Up. Gwilym Simcock may just be the person we look to take over from Esbjorn Svensson, easily surpassing Brad Mehldau in my opinion. I'm also asking myself how I've missed out on Mike Walker until now.
Luckily, the band will visit Birkenhead in November to take part in the Intenational Guitar Festival, looking forward to that.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last..., 19 Jun 2011
Dr. Peter G. Upton (Woolston, Southampton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Impossible Gentlemen (Audio CD)
A really good Jazz/funk/impro album with a distinctly British feel; star of the show is Mike Walker, Manchester's guitar hero, with Gwillim Simcock in good form on piano and melodica. Stand out tracks are Wallanda's Last Stand, referring to the tightrope walker (pun?) not the Swedish detective, and Gwil's Song, but the album as a whole recaptures some of the live sound, and having seen Mike Walker's Steely Dan inspired gig with the young Turks of the Royal Northern Big Band comparisons with the Dan and LA Express are valid. If you can't see them live, this is the next best. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars currently my favourite jazz album of all time., 13 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Impossible Gentlemen (Audio CD)
bought this because i liked the name/cover and jazz.As i started listening i thought yes not bad...but in fact the opening tracks are good but later they really let rip .o.m.g. track 7 is ,my favourite track of all time.its up tempo and every instrument is superb,every solo..both the piano and guitar solos rival my favourite scofield or oscar peterson solos. there are also some truly beautiful slow numbers too,and as jazz should ,i feel it represents many emotions in life. do youself a favour...i think there is something for everyone here,and youll feel good at the end of this (unlike metheny whom i love but avoid due to requiring prozac after listening).

5.0 out of 5 stars It's impossibly great jazz, 10 Feb 2012
I. Clark - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Impossible Gentlemen (Audio CD)
Having been fortunate to have seen many jazz greats, even enjoyed their company, on occasions;
and seen jazz develop over sixty years, musicianship and empathy, coupled with swing are where it's at.

It simply does not get any better, four musicians out of the top drawer, at their creative best,
enjoying the gig. Miss it at your peril, humour, counterpoint, fidelity, swing and timeless harmonies
and invention, all of the highest order.

Peace, love.

Ivan Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 5 Aug 2011
Mr_Wagstaff (I have my own planet) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Impossible Gentlemen (Audio CD)
Fantastic debut album! A studio album with a raw live feel. Innovative compositions full of power and depth of feeling. The album opens with Walkers bonkers composition Laughlines which had me...laughing.....the first time I heard it. Its a catchy tune that convinces me to sing along, which I can to a point but mute the track..ha ha very clever. Jazzers the world over are going to have a lot of fun with that one, there's already much talk amongst the musicians where I live. Also notable is the ballad (also by Walker)When You Hold Her, which is simply a masterpiece and is extremely moving. This album is full of stories..all meant and all said without words!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a debut!, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Impossible Gentlemen (Audio CD)
As debut albums go, this is one of the best of it's type! The way the "gentlemen" compliment each other with their playing is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection of new tunes performed by superb musicians, 19 Oct 2013
Mr. B. Cannon "Bluesfan" (West Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Impossible Gentlemen (Audio CD)
Having heard the odd tracks on the Radio this delivered on every personal criteria. Inspiring melodies, gifted musicians and an excellent production.
Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars The impossible Gentlemen, 14 July 2013
This review is from: The Impossible Gentlemen (Audio CD)
the only bad thing with this recording is that it leaves you with the need to see the group perform live

5.0 out of 5 stars A great find, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Impossible Gentlemen (Audio CD)
I am a fan of Gwilym Simcock, so when I came across a review of this album in a magazine I was keen to try it. The line up is impeccable and the music does not disappoint. If you like this style of jazz, this album is a worthy owner of some shelf space

The Impossible Gentlemen
The Impossible Gentlemen by The Impossible Gentlemen (Audio CD - 2011)