I didn't want to pay £80 for the standard Rode boom so I bought this as soon as I saw it, especially since I have just a light mic to hold for my DSLR videos.

I haven't used it on set yet but if feels quite solid to be so light.
Published 8 months ago by Andre Re

2.0 out of 5 stars from a name like Rode I expected quality all the same
I was hoping to give this a significantly higher score, maybe a touch ambitious for a budget boom pole... However, from a name like Rode I expected quality all the same.

Published 17 days ago by Chas Wilder

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected.. a good Rode piece of equipment for a very cheap price., 7 Jun. 2014
This review is from: RØDE 2m Micro Lightweight Boompole (Electronics)

I haven't used it on set yet but if feels quite solid to be so light.
Just a notice: the boom comes with a 5/3 screw and you most likely will need to buy the shock mount as well if you want to use it.
It doesn't really make sense buying just the boom.

2.0 out of 5 stars from a name like Rode I expected quality all the same, 13 Feb. 2015
Chas Wilder (Herefordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RØDE 2m Micro Lightweight Boompole (Electronics)

Compared to an adapted painters ceiling pole (as seen on many a YouTube video) it looks more professional, only because it's black, has a foam grip and a 3/8 thread on one end. However, it's many times the price, even that as sold by Amazon (I've seen for much more elsewhere). The materials and manufacturing don't really differ that much to justify the price differential. Like all photographic/video gear, especially when it's aimed at the pro market (not really suggesting that this pole is), there's an added value to the purchase price that makes you think that someone is making a absolute killing. In my opinion this is one of those cases.

The tip of the pole has a 3/8 thread with a couple of rubber spacers which are pretty useless to be honest. They're too soft so any mic clamp just waves around. This is made worse, on my pole at least, by the fact that this machined solid threaded part is held onto the hollow pole by a rather feeble pin in a way that it wobbles slightly. The pin is so loose that if you tap the side of the pole it falls out and the threaded part can fall out of the end of the pole! The Eggsnow Camera Microphone Shockmount (excellent BTW) that I bought at the same time has a handle/adapter that is foam covered and matches the foam grip of the pole nicely. This has a mic 5/8 thread on one end that attaches to the shock mount itself. At the other end there's a 3/8 inch thread, a perfect match for the one on the pole. However, the threaded part has no thread on the bottom 4-5mm which will add load onto the thread in the aluminium bodied Eggsnow part which has a reasonable 8mm or so of thread in the hole (it's hollow beyond that). Whilst I appreciate that for engineering reasons the thread on the pole can't go all the way to the bottom the depth that's not threaded is unacceptable.

As I have the means to put these issues right and make it acceptably usable for my purpose I will not be returning the pole to Amazon. Though I must say that I'm disappointed, this is the first Rode product I have purchased. I'm new to videography (long time stills shooter, previously pro) and whilst I have already purchased a couple of budget mics, HTDZ HT-81 and a Sony lav (both of which I'm happy with), I will hopefully be stepping up to better kit as I progress. Rode will now probably be off the short-list when that comes around if this is an indication of the quality of their products.

With a bit of workshop fettling this will make a technically acceptable boom pole. However, I was naturally expecting this without having to do some engineering work of my own. As a consequence of my experience I wouldn't recommend this boom pole. I was even toying with the notion of only giving it one star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very lightweight and plenty sturdy., 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: RØDE 2m Micro Lightweight Boompole (Electronics)
I use this for film making at uni with my Rode Videomic with Rycote mount.
It's brilliant and i've had no problems with it. Was a lot of packaging and a massive box but i'm not complaining as it came in great condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and good quality, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: RØDE 2m Micro Lightweight Boompole (Electronics)
Excellent build quality, good grip and very light,
the only down is the price, which i think is a bit overpriced, but there`s what you pay for a good quality product i guess.
Good packaging and quick delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars RODE have done it again!, 26 Dec. 2011
This review is from: RØDE 2m Micro Lightweight Boompole (Electronics)
The boompole was delivered by Inta-Audio. I selected express delivery and it came in 2 or 3 days via parcel force. It was extremely well packaged!

I have a Rode VideoMic, as does the customer below, and I needed to mount. You need to purchase the RODE MINIJACK EXTENSION CABLE FOR VIDEOMIC 3M for this to work.

Here are instructions for booming:

1) Take your mic - handle it carefully - and hold the boompole vertically. Make sure it is completely compacted (not extended at all).
2) There are two holes at the bottom of the VideoMic, the BIGGER one is for boompole use.
3) Remove the rubber on the top of the boompole, so it exposes the black metal.
4) Place the mic on top of the hole, and try and twist it round (the boompole) being careful to handle the mic cautiously.
5) Once it is securely on, you can begin use. Remember - if you feel the slightest wobble, tighten it up!

I hope this was of use. The boompole is faultless, with a comfy rubber bit that you are obviously meant to hold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Product, 26 Jan. 2012
This review is from: RØDE 2m Micro Lightweight Boompole (Electronics)
The Rode boom pole is perfect. It works with a number of different Microphone's. I have found for working with Film, Rode's product are always reliable. Its very light yet sturdy. Its grip is comfortable and the two metre length is a breeze to handle.

The down side is it does not feature any clips in which to run the extension from mic to camera/desk etc. But, all in all a great product, highly recommended for film makers on a budget.

Many thanks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 5 July 2014
This review is from: RØDE 2m Micro Lightweight Boompole (Electronics)
you get what you pay for, which makes it ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a boompole, 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: RØDE 2m Micro Lightweight Boompole (Electronics)
Perfect boompole, aux runs through it to save it slapping against the pole in the wind, using it with rode videomic.

4.0 out of 5 stars The screw at the end..., 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: RØDE 2m Micro Lightweight Boompole (Electronics)
... May not match your mike stand. Just be aware of that, it may be worth purchasing a universal mike mount as well. Otherwise, excellent product in daily use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: RØDE 2m Micro Lightweight Boompole (Electronics)
About 2 metres long, light and solid. Tailor made for my needs. I use the Rode Videomic on the end of it with various combos with a couple lavalier mics and Zoom h1s. This works perfectly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›