5.0 out of 5 stars Right for Apple keyboard, 29 Aug 2012
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Incase Origami Workstation for iPad. (Electronics)
This is the keyboard case that they will offer to sell you in Apple's physical stores. The reason is very simple: it just works.

The Apple bluetooth keyboard is great, but it doesn't survive well being shoved into a suitcase or carboot and left. Pull hard on the keys and you will see why. The inCase is an elegant solution to the problem: it neatly protects the keyboard, matches other accessories, and twists round to form into an iPad stands that works in both landscape and portrait format. This is important, because most of the iPad keyboard/case solutions only work in portrait format or only work in landscape. The landscape is great for watching videos, but less good for typing long documents. The portrait format is great for typing, but not so great for videos and any other landscape-based apps, such as iMindMap.

This is great, and I wish I had got one before damaging my original Apple keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Synergy, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Incase Origami Workstation for iPad. (Electronics)
I'm combining a review of separate items here, not just because I'm lazy but because these things, individually, are often only part of a system which deserves to be regarded as one functional item. This may also answer - and overcome - some of the comments on perceived shortcomings of, say, the Apple keyboard in isolation. The keyboard is a delicate piece of kit that is best not chucked in a tote bag full of loose spanners, but used as described with a modicom of care it should cope very well with the rigours of life on the road.

First of all, the Origami Incase Lightweight case for Apple Wireless Keyboard - This item under review.
Incase Origami Workstation for iPad

This thing is a work of genius. It's a perfect match for the Apple wireless keyboard, provides great "in bag" protection against scuffies and bumpies and adds virtually no size to the device. THEN the miracle - the case containing the keyboard turns into an ergonomically correct workstation by the simple expedient of standing a paired tablet onto it - either horizontally, or more usefully for on-the-go novelists, in vertical or "portrait" orientation and it does this remarkable trick by folding the cover's end panels back into the second, velcroable position to make a secure, non-scratch lean-to support for the tablet.

There are plenty of cheap iPad covers with built-in bluetooth keyboards but they aren't the rather marvellous Apple keyboard, poor things.

Other people have reviewed the keyboard better than I could:
Apple Wireless Keyboard
I think the Origami solves most of the durability issues that some have raised.

O.K. I like the Apple keyboard far more than other bluetooth alternatives.

The other possibly more important consideration is that I want my tablet WITHOUT the encumbrance of a keyboard most of the time, as an actual tablet, not a laptop. if I'm sat on a park bench or in a cafe and need to make a few notes, I use the tablet in native mode. Simple, quick and needs no supporting surface to work on.

On the other hand, if it's an occasion when I need to input a load of text and I'm in a suitable location with a bit of table space, I pull my Origami'd Apple wireless out of my bag and take ten seconds to assemble it into a workstation.
For me it's simply the perfect set-up. No need to swap covers or use the tablet without a cover; everything's is good to go in either mode without tweaking or repackaging.

This is wonderful for the odd trip away from the office, either a day out or a short holiday or whatever. The Great Unfinished Novel lives on the desktop machine, in Scrivener, while the auto-synced rtf mirrors of the text live on the Galaxy. I can edit on either platform and using dropbox, the work is editable on the other device a few seconds later.

I cannot believe - or stress enough - how wonderful this set-up is.

Now the heresy:
I'm using mine with a Samsung Galaxy (Android) tablet, not an iPad.
The slim case on the Android is no bother at all, in vertical, or horizontal screen mode and it's an adequately close match to the Origami for anyone who is concerned about these things. It looks like a proper "system" rather than a half-monkey half-halibut mermaid lashup.

The keyboard functions perfectly apart from the @ and " being the wrong way round from Apple convention. Whoopee; I can live with that.

Obviously it works with the iPad too.

Keyboard
Apple Wireless Keyboard

Scrivener is simply THE best book writing program ever.
Not a word processor, it's an authoring system. Not available on Amazon but unscramble the following for their home page:
aitch tee tee pee //world wide web dot literatureandlatte dot com
i.e.
literatureandlatte.com

It will partner with IPad software without too much (well, any) sweat.

Getting a compatible text edit to partner Scrivener on an Android device, however has been a nightmare and took me weeks and much hair tearing but I now have a system that works completely seamlessly.
The answer is an Android app TextMaker Mobile unfortunately not available through Amazon but it's on the Google store.
I've tried - and paid for - many vaunted solutions for editing Scrivener's mirrored rtf exports on Android and this, so far, is the ONLY one that works. It costs a couple of pints, but many other "solutions" cost far more and didn't work.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent - but cheaper at apple store, 29 Nov 2012
D. Goodridge (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Incase Origami Workstation for iPad. (Electronics)
I have just bought this after looking around for something that will allow me to use a stand alone keyboard with an ipad. It seems well designed. Just a note for today: it's £10 pounds cheaper at Apple - a rare day indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars IF you bought an apple keyboard YOU NEED THIS, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Incase Origami Workstation for iPad. (Electronics)
The incase Origami Workstation is a must have if you have a apple keyboard and you want to use it with your iPad. In saying iPad this case will literally work with any kind of tablet. I was surprised how secure my tablet was when I place it in the case. There is no wobbling at all which I found fantastic because it really makes you feel like you're on a touch screen laptop instead of an ordinary iPad or tablet.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice simple idea, everyone who sees it loves it :), 4 July 2014
This review is from: Incase Origami Workstation for iPad. (Electronics)
This case makes an excellent companion to the apple keyboard. I have it permanently set up on my desk, so I can just drop my iPad onto it when I need to use the keyboard. The angle isn't adjustable but I've found it perfectly comfortable when working on it for an afternoon. I've only ever used it working at a desk, I don't think it would work if you used it on your lap.

My iPad already has a thick leather case, one of the nice things about this case is I don't have to take my iPad out of its case to use it. It simply props the iPad up behind the keyboard. The iPad can be used in both portrait and landscape modes. My only criticism would be that when the case it closed, there is not much protection to prevent the keys from being pressed when it is in your bag. Other than that its excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Incase Origami Workstation for iPad. (Electronics)
If you want to use your iPad with an external keyboard then this is the perfect product to use. It protects the Apple keyboard when not in use and then converts into a fantastic stand to rest your iPad against when you working. It is brilliant. As the keyboard isn't bulletproof it defiantly requires a cover and the fact this does it perfectly but also doubles up as a stand is perfect. I also think it is very good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get a normal keyboard working with the iPad, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Incase Origami Workstation for iPad. (Electronics)
Solid piece of kit which is a great fit for the Apple bluetooth keyboard. Protects the keyboard well for transport and is a stable base for working from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super product - far cheaper in the Apple store, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Incase Origami Workstation for iPad. (Electronics)
This is an excellent case for an Apple bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard is held in securely to the case with the iPad resting on it - either horizontally or vertically. It's an excellent way to transport and be able to use a proper mac keyboard with the iPad - I'm using mine now to type this.

My only crticism is the pricing.I have one already and was buying another as a gift (at the end of January 2013) when the Apple store price was £19.99 against £38.54 on Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, simple, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Incase Origami Workstation for iPad. (Electronics)
Fantastic product, simple, effective, reasonably priced. It allows you to store your keyboard when travelling and is excellent as a desk stand, I would have just made it easier to use on your lap... therefore 4 stars... otherwise perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Incase Origami Workstation for iPad. (Electronics)
Light, practical and elegant. Turns your iPad (with a wireless keyboard) into a super-light workstation, then quickly and easily folds back into a keyboard protector. Easy to use even for the clumsy- what's not to like?

Incase Origami Workstation for iPad.